Quantcast

Cycle lanes

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i d rather burn gasoline ;)...

yeah, seriously, bike lanes are the shiat... that one is designed by a moron... more than likely an after-thought...

riding my SS in amsterdam with johnE was one of the coolest experiences ever... and yes, i was stoned....

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
I have seen some good and some bad. A lot are a colossal waste of money and land, though.
You've been to Austin??? They actually have a veloway that seems to work, but little else.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It looks like most of those are in Europe.

I think we should push for as many bike lanes as possible. Sure they won't all be perfect, and yes, occasionally an asshat will park in one, or one will be designed by a moron. Still better to have them than not.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Echo said:
Still better to have them than not.
I can only speak for me, but I'd rather ride in traffic.

The problem with bike lanes is that they're typically not maintained, so it's actually safer for me to ride in traffic. BUT then you get drivers who'll normally work with you when there is no lane, yelling at you and mock-swerving into you cuz there is a "bike lane".

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
LordOpie said:
I can only speak for me, but I'd rather ride in traffic.

The problem with bike lanes is that they're typically not maintained, so it's actually safer for me to ride in traffic. BUT then you get drivers who'll normally work with you when there is no lane, yelling at you and mock-swerving into you cuz there is a "bike lane".
I hear ya. There will always be asshat drivers. I actually just stick to back roads with little traffic anyway. Not the kind of places you'd ever find a bike lane. I think there are places where bike lanes are needed and well implemented though. Sadly not enough.