Quantcast

Cycle Recycle in Waynesboro VA

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
hmm..It depends what you like to ride, it is pretty rocky and rooty all the way through. I know the place like my home..pretty much is my home. If you go riding with someone else that knows the place and the non crap trails it is alright, but if you pick the trails that blow..... you will never want to go again. There is pretty much one downhill part which is the powerline near the obsevatory, prolly only 60 yards long? If it is your first time its always great to get someone to show you around......if you ever see a small skinny kid riding like crazy wack on a trance 3..say hey..cuz thatd be me..:)

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
VaNIlLin81 said:
hmm..It depends what you like to ride, it is pretty rocky and rooty all the way through. I know the place like my home..pretty much is my home. If you go riding with someone else that knows the place and the nice sections it can be worth everybit of it, but if you pick the trails that blow..... you will never want to go again. There is pretty much one really nice downhill part which is the powerline near the obsevatory, prolly only 100 yards long. If it is your first time its always great to get someone to show you around.....if you do go, just take the road all the way up to o-hill and park where all the other cars are, near the two water towers, id suggest starting off with the powerline then taking loops..if you ever see a small skinny kid riding like crazy wack on a trance 3..say hey..cuz thatd be me..:)

HAHAHA! I read that up to the part where you were talking about the observatory thinking you were talking about reddish knob. Man I'm slow.

This is the longest a thread that I've started has gone on. I'm in shock!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Hmmmm.... where do you live? I'm in Waynesboro, might check it out. I've got a friend looking for something in this range.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
H'burg is off 81 so yeah it's that way, but I'm pretty sure it's off the beaten path a bit. Anyone know any better directions. I hate being awake this early, but I'm on diaper duty past 4 so if the boy cries, I'm up.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
mud'n'sweat said:
snip>Yeah, Reddish is best run during a bit more dry conditions. we'll be bombing at pretty high speeds. I think we should shoot for two weeks from this coming weekend which would be March 4th & 5th.

Not trying to be an ass here - but be careful "bombing at pretty high speeds" on those trails - you do know they are multi-use? You know -horses, hikers and what not. Hitting a hiker or startling a few ladies on horses would be bad karma.:D And really bad for mountain biking.

What trails are you riding - Red Diamond?

I hope it dries up soon too. There was snow on the top even after that warm weather we had in January - and I'm sure it's a foot up there now - probably gonna be a while before all that melts.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
BUCKET said:
What trails are you riding - Red Diamond?

I hope it dries up soon too. There was snow on the top even after that warm weather we had in January - and I'm sure it's a foot up there now - probably gonna be a while before all that melts.

the answer to your question is yes. or E) all of the above

Gyro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2002
Slatyfork, WV
Reddish knob doesn't require a long-travel bike at all. Most of the riding done up there is by guys on cross country bikes. The trails are super fast and super fun on pretty much any decent bike.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
BUCKET said:
Not trying to be an ass here - but be careful "bombing at pretty high speeds" on those trails - you do know they are multi-use? You know -horses, hikers and what not. Hitting a hiker or startling a few ladies on horses would be bad karma.:D And really bad for mountain biking.

No worries, I hear the concern loud and clear. I'm a XC rider so "bombing" for me isn't quite what you may think. I may let it open a bit on the straight aways, but am always on the lookout for people/horses and take is really easy in the blind spots, never wide open or in a range where I can't quickly brake and stop. Dewfinitely a good idea to point this out. We don't need any worse of a rep!

Wannabeabonedoc, I decided to keep the Ellsworth today. After my ride today I really thought about it and the Geometry is going to work out well for me I think.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
mud'n'sweat said:
Wannabeabonedoc, I decided to keep the Ellsworth today. After my ride today I really thought about it and the Geometry is going to work out well for me I think.

No worries man. I'm glad you decided to stay with the bike that will make you happy. I just need to learn that I dont need a bike with 3 feet of suspension to enjoy trails. Enjoy that ellsworth man. I looked at the website and it looks like a nice ride. See you in a few weeks at the knob. also.......

I GOT INTO MED SCHOOL TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
wannabeabonedoc said:
. I just need to learn that I dont need a bike with 3 feet of suspension to enjoy trails.
That may be but when you're ripping downhill, the 3 feet of travel sure makes a difference. When we go to the knob I 'll let you take my VPFree down the trail once or twice... you'll like it :D

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
pshh..just maybe...ive never been..if its anything like o-hill i shall keep up..just cuz i dont have 9.5 inches of travel doesnt mean im mega slow

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I'm itchin' for this ride! My new bike will be built up by then and this will be the first true long descent to break it in :drool:

ps- page 5 mutcha beehontches!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Y'all got room for a fat kid on a big bike??

Is this place more Nomad friendly, or can I justify bringing the Demo 9 out? I'd like to get some time on it before the season fires up, think I have about 30 runs on it now, need more.

I am coming in from Norfolk, so I can pick up one other guy in parts north. I can even fit two guys if one is small, as you'll be in the "extended cab" of the Tacoma.

And should I bring digging tools? Nothing more amusing then building a sessionalbe hit for everyone during the obligatory Taco Bell break.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
yeah..itd be great if i could get a ride up there..but i mean..if everyone is gonna be bs'in about xc riders coming and being slow i wont bother..ill just stay on my xc bike on 0-hill..sorry i dont have the money to go out and buy a $4000 bike with 6-9 inches of travel

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Vanillin: Come on, get the DH bike. Go knock over a few 7/11's, you'll have the down payment right quick.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
I'll be there on a 5 inch trek liquid. It'll be slow, but hey, any DH on a bike is fun. I'd love to ride your vpfree man. There's a guy in Roanoke selling his gemini with a dhx-5 and a 6 inch sherman on it. I'd love to have that bike, but i'm broke as a joke. By the way tattoooooo, you wont be the only fat boy there. I'm what you'd consider "husky". Bring it on.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
yeah..ill be on a trance 3..woohoo....ill just go take it off a huge cliff around here..not only that..and there is always someone who you go riding with that has something negative to say about everything you do..oh you took a crappy line..oh you almost ate ****

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
VaNIlLin81 said:
yeah..ill be on a trance 3..woohoo....ill just go take it off a huge cliff around here..not only that..and there is always someone who you go riding with that has something negative to say about everything you do..oh you took a crappy line..oh you almost ate ****

I find when you're: 1. Husky, 2. known to be heavily armed, and 3. ride with a very strange look on your face between "lemme see your war face" and "I think I just **** my pants, and I am happy with that" people tend to not talk to you at all, and if they do, its nothing but positive words and flowery comments.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Vaniila, relax! you are more then welcome to come! The more the merrier! But by all means.... take Tatooo's advice and rob a couple of convient stores so we don't have to hear you complain. J.K.
As for Tatooo, leave the shovel behind and bring either one of the rides you want. Most of us will be on big-hitting bikes but not all of us and we will not be leaving anyone behind on any shorter travel or H.T'S