Quantcast

Cycling and Physics--Help Needed

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Alright, so I have to do a decent sized science project for the IB program that I'm in, more specifically I need to do it for physics. All the groups are assigned a theme (sports) and it just so happens that my group has chosen cycling. I know that it's virtually all physics but I'm not really sure what I can calculate out or experiment on with a bicycle. I'll need an abundance of quantitative data. Perhaps I can calculate the frictional force of different sized corners while maintaining the same velocity? Or, somehow calculate out power output? Or do something with gear ratios?
Any help/suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tony

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Classic thing would be rotational momentum and such. You could do some experiments on why countersteering works or why bikes are more stable with speed.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Calculate ballistic trajectories of huckers at different speeds and launch angles?

You could use the data to design the perfect tabletop.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
braking distances with set amount of weight located at different points of the wheel (rotational mass) and then differing weights to show the distance at which unequal mass rotating around a fixed point (ie hub) becomes equal.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
May have been done already but how about comparing the rolling resistance of the same tubed v. tubeless tires?

Or even better, an objective and quantifiable justification for the claim that green is 10% faster?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
calculate the force of kinetic friction when skidding. change tires, velocity, or surface for different results.

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
Have you tried doing a Google Scholar search? I tried the "physics of
bicycles" and got lots of hits. Hopefully there is something there that you can use.