Quantcast

Cycling star Hamilton vehemently denies blood doping

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Cycling star Hamilton vehemently denies blood doping
UNION-TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICES | September 22, 2004

U.S. Olympic cycling champion Tyler Hamilton declared his innocence yesterday while awaiting results of backup tests for blood doping that could cost him the gold medal.

"I've been accused of taking blood from another person," Hamilton, 33, said from Regensberg, Switzerland. "Anyone who knows me knows that is completely impossible.

"I can tell you what I did and did not put into my body. Cycling is very important to me, but not that important. If I ever had to do that (doping), I'd hang the bike on the rack.

"I have always been an honest person. I am devastated to be here tonight. My family is devastated. My team is devastated. My friends are devastated," Hamilton said, adding that he would "fight this until I don't have a euro left in my pocket."

Tests at the Athens Olympics on Aug. 19 and at the Spanish Vuelta on Sept. 11 showed evidence of blood from another person, cycling's governing body said, according to a spokesman for Hamilton's Swiss-based team, Phonak.

Follow-up tests will be finished today, although it isn't clear when the results will be announced.

Hamilton would lose his gold medal if the second Olympic test is positive.

"I am 100 percent innocent," Hamilton said. "I worked hard for that gold medal, and it isn't going anywhere."

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
They have pretty accurate tests for finding this kind of thing. If he shows up positive a second time, i mean, he did it. Thats all there is to it.