Quantcast

Cyclist Ticketed After Being Hit By a Truck

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ohio Cyclist Ticketed After Falling
Aug 2, 7:49 PM (ET)

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - A northwest Ohio man's fall off his bicycle left him with a bruised leg, a big hospital bill and a ticket from police. Police fined Melvin Surprise III, of Toledo, because he was riding his bike on a sidewalk when he was struck by a pickup truck pulling out of a parking lot.

City law says anyone 15 and older can't ride a bike on the sidewalk. Violators face a $93 fine.

Surprise, 22, pleaded innocent to the charge in Toledo Municipal Court on Monday. He plans to fight the citation, saying the law discriminates against adult cyclists.

He was riding his bicycle on a sidewalk along a heavily traveled street on July 22 when he was hit.

The driver, Michael Garvin, 17, was not cited. Police said a trailer park and large vehicle parked nearby created a blind spot. "I never even saw him," Garvin said. "The bike literally appeared out of nowhere."

Lt. Kevin Keel, who heads the police traffic bureau, said a citation should be filed when one person's negligent action causes an accident. "If the officer can determine fault, we strongly suggest they file charges," he said.

To add to the injury, Surprise was taken to Toledo Hospital as a precaution and billed $800 because he is unemployed and does not have medical insurance.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Similar law in AZ. Most of the time I take the sidewalk, as a part of my choose life campaign. I'd fight it too. You're in a 2-3 thousand pound car, you have to be aware of your surroundings. Period.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Dipsh!t morons who don't follow traffic laws are making it more dangerous for the people who ride correctly. And whenever you try to reason with some asshat who thinks he's safer riding on the wrong side of the road, or on the sidewalk, or whatever, you get a bunch of yammering about nothing. :angry:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I've been hit by cars four times. Twice on the sidewalk and twice on the road. Result, Broken growth plate in shin, shatered knee, one tacoed wheel, a lot of embarassment and now I don't ride on anything except dirt. :eviltongu

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
PsychO!1 said:
I'm too busy keeping my eye on entering the road
And talking on the phone and fumbling with CD's, and seeing how red your eyes are in the rearview mirror, and having coffee. etc.

You are so focused!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
riderx said:
The sidewalk is for kids, the dude needs to suck it up.
Word. I never ride on the sidewalk. It's illegal here and I wouldn't even if it were legal.

"Discriminates against adult cyclists"??? I guess some laws discriminate against murderers and thieves as well....

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
JRogers said:
Word. I never ride on the sidewalk. It's illegal here and I wouldn't even if it were legal.

"Discriminates against adult cyclists"??? I guess some laws discriminate against murderers and thieves as well....
Adult cyclists riding on the sidewalk are synonymous with murderers and thieves?

Word up dude!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
stinkyboy said:
Similar law in AZ. Most of the time I take the sidewalk, as a part of my choose life campaign. I'd fight it too. You're in a 2-3 thousand pound car, you have to be aware of your surroundings. Period.
I figured it out. This is Macks other account.

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
Ohio obviously has a lack of bike paths...regardless you have to be aware of your surroundings and stick to the road. Let moms pushing kids in strollers have the sidewalk.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
motomike said:
ok, what if it was a kid riding on the sidewalk. He/she would have been hit.
exactly the cyclist violated the law and now he's paying the price....as far as his medical bills and such it's completely irrelevant...he's just trying to generate sympathy....I hate when people want to challenge laws after the fact....if he really felt discriminated against why didn't he contest the law when it came out??....D

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
BMXman said:
exactly the cyclist violated the law and now he's paying the price....as far as his medical bills and such it's completely irrelevant...he's just trying to generate sympathy....I hate when people want to challenge laws after the fact....if he really felt discriminated against why didn't he contest the law when it came out??....D
:think:

Anyone else wanna field this, I'm kinda tired and thinking about lunch...

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
motomike said:
ok, what if it was a kid riding on the sidewalk. He/she would have been hit.
And what if it was a monkey on a bike? It wasn't, so it doesn't matter. But, a kid/monkey/other adult may have slowed down before crossing. Or they may have stopped. Or they may have been riding faster and passed before the truck got there.

You can play "what if" all day, it won't matter in court.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I feel that riding on the sidewalk is wrong and should be used in emergency situations only. If you cant get through on the street then your just going to have to wait. BUT..... on the same point, a car pulling out of a driveway should be looking for pedestrians... if they were doing that they should have easily seen the cyclist

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah i pretty much never ride on the sidewalk unless its simply too dangerous to be in the road. I just got hit this year and I wasn't a little baby about it, I didn't have a light on and the guy didn't even so much as look at me. We both made a mistake no need to whine about it. Good thing I was smart enough to just get back on my bike and keep riding, I guess I could have gotten a fine for getting hit too lol.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
The dips#!t was probably riding against traffic when the driver, who was probably looking at on coming traffic, which is what you do when pulling out of a driveway, nailed him.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Fshflys said:
The dips#!t was probably riding against traffic when the driver, who was probably looking at on coming traffic, which is what you do when pulling out of a driveway, nailed him.
He was probably on meth, crack and PCP. Just got thru robbing a bank and killing a bus full of school children. :rolleyes:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nobody should ride on the sidewalk, but if you do, you need to stop or slow way down at every driveway. If that sounds like a pain then get your ass in the road.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Reactor said:
I don't condone any motorist hitting a bicyclist. When you drive a vehicle you need to be responsible for your actions. Yes, it could have been a kid. Here in AZ, the City of Tempe allows everyone ride a bike on a sidewalk unless the city has posted it for no riding.
Yeah good point radiactive-man ;) It's pretty close to impossible to kill a motorist on your bike. That having been said , here in Japan, where it's not only legal to ride on the footpath (where possible) but encouraged, I nevertheless never expect motorists to stop and am always prepared to stop suddenly when they do stupid things. I think it's called riding with head removed from arse. I've been hit once from behind and although the insurance helped me through that (90% the old bitches fault- official insurance estimate) I realise with a bit more savvy I would have avoided that situation.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A good way to get hit by a car is do come from an unexpected direction. Bikers on the sidewalk are not expected.

I ride on the sidewalk occasionally, like to get to store. I am doubly careful because I know drivers are not looking for me...

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I equate this to being pissed off when you break your neck after diving into the shallow end of a pool.

Riding on the sidewalk isn't safe, for pedestrians or for riders...that's why it's illegal...not to oppress adult rights. :rolleyes: