Quantcast

Cyclists taken out by a pick-up truck today

Kinda bizzare that Downhilling is safer than road riding now.
Really awful for those involved.

A smiliar accident about a year ago where a trucker in the am hit a group of motorcyclist from behind at a stoplight killing 3 or 4 and the driver turned out to be blasted on meth so you never know whats your up against.:mad:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

A smiliar accident about a year ago where a trucker in the am hit a group of motorcyclist from behind at a stoplight killing 3 or 4 and the driver turned out to be blasted on meth so you never know whats your up against.:mad:
Road riding has always been the most dangerous form of cycling. You are more likely to get hurt riding downhill, more likely to die on the road.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Did you see this quote in the comments section?

Can anyone tell me why bikes would be on a 4 lane highway if the highway is such as 401 or 407 etc? Pretty soon bikes will rule the road. Can anyone tell me why, where I live, there is a totally perfect bike path paved and all but yet bikes insist on being on the highway right beside the bike path?

Bikers are all too anxious to blame motorists for all that goes wrong but between a car and a cyclist. For example, last week driving down one of our city streets and a biker in full biking outfit turned right in front of my car luckily I had room and time to swerve to the right and avoid a collision. So who was wrong?

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/05/14/quebec-cycling-accident.html#ixzz0nvzxRtMf

Its limp dicked mouth breathers like this that make me want to go heavily armed when I ride my road bike. Its also little boy felchers like this that really make the guy who was going to crush the old man in the Corvette with a boulder my personal hero and savoir.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
....the driver turned out to be blasted on meth so you never know whats your up against.:mad:
ya, you can be farely positive that the trees you're up against on the mountain are usually not tweaking and/or faced. I tried my hand at road riding but before long i was terrified! i stick to the sidewalks, pedestrians be damned.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ya, you can be farely positive that the trees you're up against on the mountain are usually not tweaking and/or faced. I tried my hand at road riding but before long i was terrified! i stick to the sidewalks, pedestrians be damned.
A guy got killed riding on the sidewalks earlier this month. A large truck turning into a lot nailed him. I've always felt safest just taking the lane and riding like I am on a motorcycle. I'll pull to the far right when it is safe for cars to pass.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
While I think this a tragic incident, I think road hog cyclists belong in the same category as road hog pedestrians. Waaaaay to brave. Sh!t like this could happen at any time.

But I bet the well armed cyclists getting crushed into road paste by trucks have a much higher rate of survival... How does one weaver stance on a bike? I bet it looks impressive

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When one cyclist gets creamed, particularly in the city, it doesn't make the news.

A few weeks ago, a commuter made a hard turn right in front of my car. He might have made it without my braking, but I was pissed. But it wasn't that big of a deal.

When a pack of cyclists get hit like this, it is a fvcking big deal.

Do you think 10 roadies decided to all turn in front of this truck?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
10am this morning it was raining a bit, but how do you not see a group of 6?! He probably just wasn't looking, was on the phone or god knows what.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

A year ago?

http://www.bikerlawblog.com/index.php/wind/2010/03/25/3-phoenix-arizona-motorcycle-riders-mowe

03/25/10
4 Phoenix Arizona Motorcycle riders mowed down and killed After Being Rear Ended in a Horrible Crash.

A group of eight motorcycles stopped at a red light in north Phoenix were mowed down from behind by a dump truck early Thursday afternoon, killing three riders and injuring six others, at least one critically, authorities said.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Yikes. 10:1 drugs and/or alcohol involved. :(
not according to the article
"The driver of the vehicle in question was a man and alcohol is not a factor," Denis said. "He will meet with investigators in a little while to give details to shine a light on this tragedy."
The comments are pretty awesome as usual.

I know the law is that bicycles are not allowed on sidewalks but they certainly should not be allowed on roads either. Hopefully, this tragedy will get bicycles off the streets and highways. Streets are for cars. It just does not make any sense to me that anyone would ride a bicycle on a city street let alone a highway.
Really so where do you propose they ride?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
forget the comment section. you might as well surf 4chan for more sympathy.

but i bet a cell phone was involved...

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I really hope these are very rare happenings in Montreal, I don't want to live in another city that hates bikes. These occurrences are all too common in Charlotte. It seems every month we here about another cyclist death. I don't trust cars here, I ride on the sidewalks whenever I can on my commute to work.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I really hope these are very rare happenings in Montreal, I don't want to live in another city that hates bikes. These occurrences are all too common in Charlotte. It seems every month we here about another cyclist death. I don't trust cars here, I ride on the sidewalks whenever I can on my commute to work.
Da Peach got clipped by a car a bunch of years ago commuting downtown

But in theory montreal is more and more bike friendly all the time. They've had Bixi for a few years now.

And more and more areas are being reclaimed for cyclist too. This jsut the other day
http://www.montrealgazette.com/story_print.html?id=3031127&sponsor=

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I promise you Montreal does not hate bikes. I've noticed lots of ****ty/jerk drivers on the road though.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
But in theory montreal is more and more bike friendly all the time. They've had Bixi for a few years now.
Coming home at around 2:30 last night and it brought a smile to my face to see people riding the bixi home after a night out. That is awesome.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
btw Dirtjumper999, when are you headed up here? Would be fun to have someone to ride with.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
By the end of the summer, part of Remembrance Rd., which runs from Côte des Neiges Rd. to Camillien Houde Way, will be reserved for cyclists and pedestrians. Much of Remembrance will have one car lane in each direction, down from the current two in each direction
This is awesome actually. I'll pretty much be able to ride from my house to the top of the mountain on a bike path! Fresh.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Coming home at around 2:30 last night and it brought a smile to my face to see people riding the bixi home after a night out. That is awesome.
I got my bixi pass this year. Its super awesome... its so nice to be able to bike downtown and not have to worry about where you lock up. Just drop it off and walk away...

Damn tragedy about the bikers. I wish that more roads were being made to be bike friendly. The bike paths through the center of montreal downtown are great... I hope they continue making 'em!

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
btw Dirtjumper999, when are you headed up here? Would be fun to have someone to ride with.
I should be up there by the spring. I am trying my best to find investors and companies to join in on my indoor park so that I can start on it within a year of moving there. I am actually very glad some of you monkeys live in Montreal, it will be nice "know" of some riders there. But actually, the sooner I get some kind of job up there, the sooner I can move. It's a matter of finding a company that will sign the papers to sponsor my visa and that doesn't mind that my french isn't super great...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I should be up there by the spring. I am trying my best to find investors and companies to join in on my indoor park so that I can start on it within a year of moving there. I am actually very glad some of you monkeys live in Montreal, it will be nice "know" of some riders there. But actually, the sooner I get some kind of job up there, the sooner I can move. It's a matter of finding a company that will sign the papers to sponsor my visa and that doesn't mind that my french isn't super great...
I gotcha.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
what job/field are you looking for?
I'd really like to stay in the industry (cycling). So I have been applying to some bike companies for a rep position. But I have experience in outreach, some CAD/drafting work, construction, retail.

I have been talking to one of the guys at Synergy Cycles for a mechanics position, but they don't have anything available.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm not sure a mechanic/bike shop position is the kind of thing that will sponsor a VISA for you. How about finding a nice canadian girl and getting married? :)

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I'm not sure a mechanic/bike shop position is the kind of thing that will sponsor a VISA for you. How about finding a nice canadian girl and getting married? :)
LOL. About that. It just so happens that I have a nice Canadian girl. The main reason I am moving there :) While we are very serious about our relationship, we have discussed marriage and I had a problem with getting married purely for the sake of being able to live there. And the work visa isn't all that much of a hassle for the company, all they really have to do is sign the paper.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
. And the work visa isn't all that much of a hassle for the company, all they really have to do is sign the paper.
Well that's not true.

They do have to "defend" their decision to sponsor you. There have to be a strong reasons why your skills are so special that they feel that they need to import you instead of giving the job to a native canadian.

if I were a bettin' man, I'd say that marriage is your best option.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Jen (girlfriend) has a coworker at Concordia with her, who moved there from New York under a work visa. She was telling us that she did most of the paper work for the college, and she just had to sit down with her soon to be boss and sign and notarize the papers. I don't know if things would have changed since then... that would certainly complicate things. Marriage hasn't completely been put out of the question, it's just been something that I have issue with.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I was on a TN visa for the first few year I was in Seattle. Then I was on a green card after my wife (american) and I got married there. Then she had to repeat the process when we moved back to montreal.

As I said, it is my understanding that for an employer to sponsor someone, there needs to be something exceptional about your skills/training that makes makes you unique......that it would be next to impossible to find someone like you locally.

If you were a doctor, engineer etc, there would be no problem because we have a shortage of professional (many leave for the US for more $$)

Now maybe if you can find an employer that will go to the mat for you, then you may be in good shape.

However, maybe going in with you bike park thing is a better strategy. If you can go in as an entrepeneur, you might have an easier time. In that instance you're bringing something to the table, as opposed to (in theory) "stealing" a job from a loca.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Interestingly enough the Ridemonkey head office is actually in Montreal.

Heh - what kind of skills do you have? :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I saw a whopping group of 2 roadies the other day on my narrow, 2 lane road with no shoulder. And douche #2 was riding side by side. I honked, came around and told the ass hat he is one of the many reasons I'd gotten hit twice on my road bike. He just laughed. My wife stopped me from brake checking him. :D

There is a huge group of roadies that does climbs up to Mt. Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the BRP officers have had to break them into groups of 5-10 so that cars can get by them. The BRP runs the length of the Appalachians and is great for slow driving, scenic views and great road riding. But this was one massive pack of 50+ riders.

The roadies that were telling me about it seemed "bothered" that they had to split their pack up. Roadie arrogance is horrid. Roadies actually make roads for cyclists unsafe.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Hence ridemonkey's new european flair........
I was thinking we needed to start pushing the hipster image more, and make sure that we only exclusively cover people riding fixies.

We're up on St-Laurent too, so its just us trying to assimilate to local culture. :)

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
I saw a whopping group of 2 roadies the other day on my narrow, 2 lane road with no shoulder. And douche #2 was riding side by side. I honked, came around and told the ass hat he is one of the many reasons I'd gotten hit twice on my road bike. He just laughed. My wife stopped me from brake checking him. :D

There is a huge group of roadies that does climbs up to Mt. Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the BRP officers have had to break them into groups of 5-10 so that cars can get by them. The BRP runs the length of the Appalachians and is great for slow driving, scenic views and great road riding. But this was one massive pack of 50+ riders.

The roadies that were telling me about it seemed "bothered" that they had to split their pack up. Roadie arrogance is horrid. Roadies actually make roads for cyclists unsafe.
I've heard that cyclists by law are supposed to be given the same width as a car? (at least in Canada) - Does anyone know if this is true?

In theory, if you had to leave enough room and safety to pass a cyclist as you would a full car, then you could only make the pass when you have enough space to go wide. Seems like that would be nice... I know when I'm riding downtown and a truck decides that he wants to pass me with oncoming traffic on the left and parked cars on the right... I'm in a tight space with nowhere to go.

Does anyone comprehensively know the cycling laws?