Quantcast

Cyclo Computer suggestion

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I'm looking to maybe add a Cyclo Computer to my 5-Spot. I don't need anything fancy, just something to give me speeds (average speeds) and distances. I already have a Suunto Advizor watch with HR monitor and altimeter - so no need for that.

Any suggestions? I hear the Cateye Enduro and Mity 3 are pretty descent?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have had many different models over the years - if it's going on an mtb the cheaper the better because you will break it. The only time I've ever had any trouble was with a wireless model. I no longer use them on my mtb but have one on my both of my road bikes. One is a $20.00 cateye with the beefy cord and one is a $120.00 Campy Ergo Brain. The spendy one is needlessly complicated and a real pain in the ass. While I have had no trouble with it, the extra features are not worth the additional $$$.

If you are planning on using it as a training tool I would consider a model that has a cadence monitor - combined with your HRM it is a more helpful than speed and distance when training for endurance.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Serial Midget said:
If you are planning on using it as a training tool I would consider a model that has a cadence monitor - combined with your HRM it is a more helpful than speed and distance when training for endurance.
nah...just use it to RIDE!! I will no be using it as a training tool. Just so I know how much ground I covered...

so the cheapo one it will be then. now which one ;)

might just get eh Cateye enduro ..

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've got an older model fo the Enduro on my old bike. Ran it for about 3 years and it worked very help. I was very surprised at how well it held up too - that bugger got bashed around pretty good. It's got all the basic features covered and is easy to setup. The model I have can display 2 pieces of info at a give time (i.e. speed and distance, time and average speed, etc.). My only complaint is that It can't display time on the bike (as opposed to time of day) and distance at the same time. Those are the only things I care about when riding, and it's a nussiance to switch back and forth between them. It's silly, I know... but it is my only complaint.

On a related note... if you're considering a wireless version, I hear they are unrelaible at best.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
jacksonpt said:
it's a nussiance to switch back and forth between them. It's silly, I know... but it is my only complaint.
when you ride you shouldn't care about what time of day it is! ;) unless the local pub is about to close... hahahah.

jacksonpt said:
On a related note... if you're considering a wireless version, I hear they are unrelaible at best.
no...I've heard the same about wireless..

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Acadian said:
when you ride you shouldn't care about what time of day it is! ;) unless the local pub is about to close... hahahah.
I don't - I care about how long I've been pedaling and how far I've ridden. Unfortunatly, my Enduro can't show those two at the same time.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
I have a Trek Fusion and that has worked well for me. I have never tried anything else to compare it to though. It gives distance, speed, avg. speed, time, date, trip distance, and some other stuff. Nothing too fancy but it works.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I had an Enduro 2 whose sensor stopped working after 5 months. I have an Astrale 8( w/cadence that works but cut out every so often.