Quantcast

Cyclocross Bikes....

Aug 27, 2004
Hey guys.....this is suposed to be an opinion thread, but it mine as well be a picture thread too. So everyone out there with a cyclocross bike.....post it up!

OK- heres the realy reason why i posted this....I am new to cyclocross and i am interested in buying a cross bike pretty soon. The bike will be a non-race cross bike with more commuting and very light trail riding..more like fire roads n'stuff. So heres the question...i am looking for a decent cyclocross bike that will fit my buget of 800 bucks and i came across a Motobecane Fantom Cross Road Bike. Not bad componets and will hold up good....right?
so whats your ideas or opinions?
thanks...
peace

Attachments

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
for 800 bucks that's not bad
i think that cross bikes make excellent commuters. they keep the bar width down, close to the range of a road bike. mtn bike bars tend to be very wide (26inches) vs a road bar that is normally around (20-21 inches), this will make squeezing through cars a bit easier. it will also give you a number of hand positions to change things up a bit while riding and give your wrists and arms a break.
the other plus of a cross bike as a commuter is the position is set up so that the bike is a little more upright than a road bike and a bit more on the stable side further making the ride a bit more enjoyable.
i'd give it a try, you can always always throw road tires on the bike and change the gearing up a bit to make it more like a road bike if you wish. hell ryan tribon finished 7th at the redlands classic prolouge on his CX bike