Quantcast

Cyclocross for the winter? (and other related questions)

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
First of all, I'm a 16-year-old DH racer, and I am seriously thinking about racing some cyclocross to train this winter, but I've got some questions:

Do the junior classes work like MTB, where there is beginner, sport, and expert, or is it just one big junior class?

In general, about how long are the races for the easiest junior class, in time and in distance?

Can I race my hardtail? Would I even stand a chance on a +/- 30 lb hardtail?

Thanks for your help.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Tully said:
First of all, I'm a 16-year-old DH racer, and I am seriously thinking about racing some cyclocross to train this winter, but I've got some questions:

Do the junior classes work like MTB, where there is beginner, sport, and expert, or is it just one big junior class?

In general, about how long are the races for the easiest junior class, in time and in distance?

Can I race my hardtail? Would I even stand a chance on a +/- 30 lb hardtail?

Thanks for your help.
it doesn't work like the junior classes in mtn biking. there's only one junior class and times are going to vary depending on the promoter but it's typically like 25-35 minutes. you can race wahtever bike you want in CX, so you could even race your DH bike if you wanted....wouldn't recommend it, but if you're just doing it to train, why not :)

and the junior field out there is going to be tough, or atleast i would think so if you weren't already a strong road racer or XC racer you probably wouldn't have a DEFINITE shot at winning so just go out there on your HT and do as well as you can and not worry about winning unless your in the position (not trying to be a dick, just saying.....)

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I've never raced XC or road or anything other than DH, so I'm certainly not expecting to win--in fact, I would be thrilled with a finish in the faster two-thirds!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Tully said:
I've never raced XC or road or anything other than DH, so I'm certainly not expecting to win--in fact, I would be thrilled with a finish in the faster two-thirds!

go out and have fun, that's what CX is all about!!! it's uber laid back. there's definitely things you can do to help prepare yourself for cx season. like running for 1, and learning how to dismount and remount. if you work in a shop see if your boss will lend you some CX videos (if they have any) and watch and observe. you'll learn alot about dismounting just from that......

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I'll try to find some videos, for sure. For the dismount, do you unclip one foot, then swing that leg to the other side and dismount on that side? And to remount, I assume you do the opposite (clip in one foot, then swing your other leg over and clip it in)? Also, exactly how tall are the barriers? They look rather hoppable.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Tully said:
I'll try to find some videos, for sure. For the dismount, do you unclip one foot, then swing that leg to the other side and dismount on that side? And to remount, I assume you do the opposite (clip in one foot, then swing your other leg over and clip it in)? Also, exactly how tall are the barriers? They look rather hoppable.

to dismount you more or less hop off the bike when you unclip, planting your feet trying to stop yourself is bad news. to remount, you are basically throwing yourself over the saddle and clipping into the pedals then. you'll understand it a bit more watching some videos of the euros.....

as for the classes:
A = pro/1/2 on the road and most pro/semipro/expert mtn bikers
b = 3/4 , some experts/sport
c = masters most of the time
d = 5 , beginner

some of the classifications change a bit from area to area. juniors race with the b's most of the time, most of the stronger juniors will race the junior race then turn around and race A.....

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
You should definately race some 'cross. Even with a DH bike.

I was in a cross race a few years ago (mens B) where one of the top 5 guys was on a Stinky Dee-Lux. The only time a DH bike would suck is on the uphills and carrying it over the barriers. Otherwise, weight isn't a factor in riding a flat course. However, the rolling resistence of your big fat tires will totally suck. Get some really skinny tires and go rock out. And be prepared to push your bike on the run ups.