Quantcast

Cyclocross frame question

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Do you guys know of any companies other than Surly and Vanilla that produce a single speed cross frame? I was going to get the KHS track bike for commuting, but now I'm thinking about getting a single speed cross bike......we have a large contingent of single speed cross racers up here so I could, on occasion, race

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Any frame builder will build you one. I'll build ya one even! There is likely at least one Bianchi that fits the bill as well...
You run the new Spooky don't you? Just as a rough estimate, what would it cost to get a custom cross frame?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
A custom is always roughly $1200. That is about as cheap as you can make a custom frame domestically, without under-valuating your labor and time.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
A custom is always roughly $1200. That is about as cheap as you can make a custom frame domestically, without under-valuating your labor and time.
Thats not bad, when I think custom I always think of Sacha @ Vanilla's prices. Would I get an option on material/geometry/dropouts? It would be cool to have dropouts like the Surly so I could go single or geared

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
We build custom in Steel (here in Easthampton), Carbon (here in Easthampton) and 7005 (in Durango). We haven't designed the rear ends for the carbon 'cross bikes yet, but horizontals with a deraileur hanger, or horizontals with a der. hanger/ Chain tensioner are super easy. I've got the tubes in stock to build custom 7005 'cross bikes at the moment too!