Quantcast

Cyclocross half-breed?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Maybe I should ask this in the Cyclocross forum, but I will start here.

Looking at my old school road bike, I was thinking of upgrading to STI for a more modern setup, but it will be used as my commuter more than for real road riding.

While waitng for the bus last night, I stopped into Bike n Hike and started eyeballing a Kona Jake they had on sale. It made me wonder if I could build a burly commuter of a half breed out of my roadie?

I noticed that the wheels are 700c, so if I replaced the wheels on my bike with a buffer cyclocross wheel/tire combo, would this work? I know it lacks canti brakes, but I would think the older (1989 Shimano 600) brakes might have the clearance for the larger tire.

Has anyone done this? I just don't want to put too much abuse on the race wheels that came stock on my roadie. Thanks.

J

JRB

You may get away with using a 700 x 28c, which would do fine as a commuter.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A lot of older road bikes were not particularily tight in tire clearances, so you could definitely get away with 28mm. Ride your bike down to the LBS, and see if you can squeeze in some of the cyclocross wheels into your frame.

BTW, what kind of bike do you have?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's a Centerion Dave Scott Ironman. I think it is an '89, but I'm not 100%. I love the 4130 frame and it was CHEAP. I raced an '87 when it was new and I was much lighter.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
jimmydean said:
It's a Centerion Dave Scott Ironman. I think it is an '89, but I'm not 100%. I love the 4130 frame and it was CHEAP. I raced an '87 when it was new and I was much lighter.

I know you could get at lest a 25 in there, cause that's what they came with if i remember right.