Quantcast

CycloCross in Winter Oympics....?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
From Cyclingnews.com:

Cyclo-cross as Olympic sport?
Could cyclo-cross become an Olympic sport? The Dutch newspaper Telegraaf reported Thursday that a group of supporters of the idea have been busy working to make it happen. Members of the Italian cycling are reportedly working together with the International Olympic Committee and the UCI to make it happen.

Diego Vollaro of the Italian federation told the paper that cyclo-cross could start as a demonstration sport as early as the Vancouver Winter Olympics in February of next year. The sport had previously lost out on becoming part of the Games because the athletes involved were mainly from Europe and the Games, and the event requires more international participation. But that has changed in recent years with Canada, the USA, Japan and even Zimbabwe fielding riders in elite competitions.

Another rule could prove more of a stumbling block. The winter Games require a sport take place on ice or snow, but according to the report, that rule is under consideration.

"Next week the board and I will discuss it," said UCI executive board member Joop Atsma. "If there is only a small chance of success, it would be wonderful."

Adding cyclo-cross to the Games would help fuel the Olympic dreams of riders who make the sport their primary goal of the year. Riders like Sven Nys, who devoted extra time to mountain biking in order to be eligible to compete in the Games, or American Katie Compton, who does not pursue track, road or mountain bike racing at the Olympic level.

"I think that would be great," Compton told Cyclingnews. "They have BMX in there now so why not 'cross too?"

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I honestly hope it doesn't happen....I wish mountain biking wouldn't have ever made it into the Olympics. When a cycling discipline makes it into the Olympics, USA Cycling focuses all of their energy on athletes who they think might have a chance and neglect everyone else in the sport.

Point in case, my friend Evan; he qualified for Worlds in Marathon two years ago and he couldn't go because he couldn't afford it and USA Cycling wouldn't help him. Then there was an article recently where the head of USA Cycling responded to criticism saying that the sponsors should be helping the athlete go....what a fvcking joke....no one makes any money. Most are lucky if they can get their entries paid and maybe a free frame.

Here is the quote/article about Johnson.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2009/interviews/?id=steve_johnson2_jan09
Despite his enthusiasm for this branch of cycling, however, it doesn't receive the same level of support that Olympic disciplines get. Some riders, like national champion Ryan Trebon, have voiced their displeasure over the lack of support, particularly the monetary kind - despite pulling in medals at the world championships.

In response to this, Johnson was up-front about the choice to focus on the Olympic disciplines because they simply get more recognition. Despite his claims that judging performance based on medal counts is flawed, Johnson concedes it's the reality. "It is a limited resource pie, so we have focused on Olympic competitions as our primary opportunities. We have focused our funding and development resources there, and will continue to do so. Given that there is never enough time, money or people to go around, we have to be careful as we expand our programs.

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Point in case, my friend Evan; he qualified for Worlds in Marathon two years ago and he couldn't go because he couldn't afford it and USA Cycling wouldn't help him.
Well that UCI Marathon series is poorly executed IMO....4 hours on a bike is not a Marathon. XC world cup guys would completly dominate if they entered on a consistent basis. But they don't enter because there is no incentive....

Cross has a chance to really grow with Olympic exposure. More people on bikes is a good thing.....cross is good for Youths too.....

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Well that UCI Marathon series is poorly executed IMO....4 hours on a bike is not a Marathon. XC world cup guys would completly dominate if they entered on a consistent basis. But they don't enter because there is no incentive....

Cross has a chance to really grow with Olympic exposure. More people on bikes is a good thing.....cross is good for Youths too.....
I doubt it will increase participation. I guess my original point was that instead of focusing on a few athletes (which is what USA Cycling does), they would be better off to put that money in other places....like helping grass roots movements. We have the largest cross series in the U.S. (the promoters claim the world, but I can't confirm that) and it's no thanks to USA Cycling. They actually broke away from USA Cycling due to disagreements and changed to OBRA. Local race series, and coverage, are what really drive people to the sport.

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I doubt it will increase participation. I guess my original point was that instead of focusing on a few athletes (which is what USA Cycling does), they would be better off to put that money in other places....like helping grass roots movements. We have the largest cross series in the U.S. (the promoters claim the world, but I can't confirm that) and it's no thanks to USA Cycling. They actually broke away from USA Cycling due to disagreements and changed to OBRA. Local race series, and coverage, are what really drive people to the sport.
I don't want to get wrapped up in a USA Cycling debate.
But of course those athletes would have to be funded...initially that money would have to come out of other budget lines. But there is also Olympic committee funding i think....

Having 'cross on the World stage would be bad.....? If anything it brings more clout to the sport to allow for more funding potential and development attention.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Somebody could argue against that, but I'm pretty sure BMX racing (not freestyle) is better off now that it is an official olympic sport. For the better of the worse, it became a legitimate sport in the eyes of the public (not of everybody of course, but in a considerable amount of people). BMX athletes are now treated the same way as road cyclists and receive the same kind of supervision than runners or divers.

The instances of legitimation take took place during the Games (even though there were not always conscious) in the case of BMX were enormous, and greatly fulfilled what Rogge said about the inclusion of such sports in the Olympic games: "We need draw a younger public to the Games with some new and exciting sports". Meaning, of course, new sports = more public = more money and new image (think mountain biking, snowboarding, skiercross and now CX on snowy courses!)

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Somebody could argue against that, but I'm pretty sure BMX racing (not freestyle) is better off now that it is an official olympic sport. For the better of the worse, it became a legitimate sport in the eyes of the public (not of everybody of course, but in a considerable amount of people). BMX athletes are now treated the same way as road cyclists and receive the same kind of supervision than runners or divers.

The instances of legitimation take took place during the Games (even though there were not always conscious) in the case of BMX were enormous, and greatly fulfilled what Rogge said about the inclusion of such sports in the Olympic games: "We need draw a younger public to the Games with some new and exciting sports". Meaning, of course, new sports = more public = more money and new image (think mountain biking, snowboarding, skiercross and now CX on snowy courses!)
I am not super-saavy about BMX, but I believe the support system was there before USACycling got a chance to screw it up.

Knowing how the Olympics are, I do think it is pandering to certain athletes.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Just because a bunch of Dutch and Italian folks are advocating for something doesn't mean it's going to, or should happen.
I'd much rather see cycleball or artisitic cycling in the winter games, and honestly, that's what it would take, multiple cycling events. As it is now the UCI has no representation at the winter games. The way BMX and MTB were added to the summer games was deletion of cycling events that the UCI already had in the olympics.

'cross is a great sport already. Olympic 'cross would just be another olympic event that no one in cycling cares about. The olympics are a freakshow, not real bike racing, IMO. Nothing about the olympics is "cool", "real" or anything but corporate banner waving, propaganda fodder and a supercharged marketing machine for the Mega-Brands.

Right now 'cross is about selling drywall filler, work shoes, flooring tile and banking services.

I vote to keep it that way.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Right now 'cross is about selling drywall filler, work shoes, flooring tile and banking services.

I vote to keep it that way.
Regional xc races now have Jumbotron's and ticket scalpers.....blame the Olypmpics.:bonk:

'cross is a great sport already. Olympic 'cross would just be another olympic event that no one in cycling cares about. The olympics are a freakshow, not real bike racing, IMO. Nothing about the olympics is "cool", "real" or anything but corporate banner waving, propaganda fodder and a supercharged marketing machine for the Mega-Brands.
Nothing about the Olympics is real or cool.....?....for sure there are MegaSponsors but it is a Mega Event.

Generally i agree with most of your posts. You went off the deep end on this one.....

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Having 'cross on the World stage would be bad.....? If anything it brings more clout to the sport to allow for more funding potential and development attention.
I base my opinion mostly on mountain biking....that being said, the Olympics has not brought more funding or riders into the sport. Red Bull Rampage inspired more people to ride than the Olympics. Just because you have Olympic status doesn't mean the sponsors will come running, or that your event will get any airtime on TV. It does mean that our national organization will put money towards trying to get a medal at the expense of the membership

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Regional xc races now have Jumbotron's and ticket scalpers.....blame the Olypmpics.:bonk:

Nothing about the Olympics is real or cool.....?....for sure there are MegaSponsors but it is a Mega Event.

Generally i agree with most of your posts. You went off the deep end on this one.....
I dunno I agree with Suspect. Sure its a great competition between athletes, but its also very political and commercialized.

Sometimes the over exposure of sports ruins the "feel".

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

What does xc mountainbiking have to do with this?
Olympic exposure will do nothing for CX. Internationally, it already appeals to a good blue-collar demographic and is an extremely successful spectator event.

The "Olympic movement" sucks. It's not my game. I have a hearty disdain for nationalism, pseudo-amateurism and everything else that surrounds it.

'Cross isn't ballroom dancing, it's gritty, blue-collar and real. If a CX rider wants to make more money, they should focus on a better Road contract, as there is pretty much no way to support the sort of contracts that "Olympians" demand in the cross world.

Those Swiss Cheese-heads already stole XC racing from me as a teenager, and I'll be damned if they'll get 'cross. US 'cross is already strong internationally without USAC support.

People can bemoan the lack of USAC support of 'cross, or they can work around it. Around here when our local riders make the world's team, we pass the hat and send them over. Seems to work well enough to me.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
What does xc mountainbiking have to do with this?
Olympic exposure will do nothing for CX. Internationally, it already appeals to a good blue-collar demographic and is an extremely successful spectator event.

The "Olympic movement" sucks. It's not my game. I have a hearty disdain for nationalism, pseudo-amateurism and everything else that surrounds it.

'Cross isn't ballroom dancing, it's gritty, blue-collar and real. If a CX rider wants to make more money, they should focus on a better Road contract, as there is pretty much no way to support the sort of contracts that "Olympians" demand in the cross world.

Those Swiss Cheese-heads already stole XC racing from me as a teenager, and I'll be damned if they'll get 'cross. US 'cross is already strong internationally without USAC support.

People can bemoan the lack of USAC support of 'cross, or they can work around it. Around here when our local riders make the world's team, we pass the hat and send them over. Seems to work well enough to me.
So you're telling me (in your opinion) the best CX in American shouldn't be going to the Olympics. Sorry but i think they would see it as an incredible experience.....the Olympics are awesome. The nationalism is in sport and there is nothing wrong with that...... Also, it is the only time when all nations gather and that's beatiful....

Maybe the sport would get flooded with part time CX racers and that is the root of your disdain.......?

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i think the olympics as a whole are a joke. when they started to let pro's in, that's when it went downhill. as far as the current discussion is concerned, if they do let cx in, that pretty much means that the pro's will be racing. so what's the difference between the olympics and the world championships? pretty much be the same people just under the olympic banner. so what. i've never been to a cx race, but i would rather see actual amateurs race it rather than pro's. for that matter i'd rather see that happen to all olympic events. i understand they use them for the fan draw, but it doesn't stick to olympic tradition of amateur competition. does cx need olympic exposure? seems to me that it has a good following fan wise and racer wise so why bother to make it an olympic event. are some of the racers that vain that they need to add an olympic medal to their trophy case? it seems to be working just fine as it is, maybe the extra exposure might actually do more harm then good.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
i think the olympics as a whole are a joke. when they started to let pro's in, that's when it went downhill. .
99% of Olympians are poor and train for the Olypmpics like it is a religion......the ones getting paid (track and field for example), most are just getting by.......

Basketball is an exception......

Maybe cx doesnt belong in the olympics.....leaving it hidden away in it's niche.

But the Olympics in general........."They Beautiful".