Quantcast

cyclocross questions...

Dec 13, 2007
Rochester, NY
I want to try cyclocross. I have road bike and XC mtn bike experience, but I've never cyclocrossed before. Can I adapt my road bike so I can try cyclsocross on it, or do I need a different bike for it? My road is a '04 trek 1500. I'm interested in selling it for a cyclocross bike or a single speed commuter type setup, but don't want to dump the money into a cyclocross bike until I'm sure that I'll enjoy it and it'll be worth the money.

Any suggestions?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I guess the biggest problem...Unless you are running a skinny ass tire there won't be enough clearance.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I got my ass handed to me in my first cyclocross race...albeit I was on a ss commuter running 42/16. I ended up with a pinch flat and no extra wheelset so DNF for me. I had fun, but it wasn't what I expected at all.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
if you are running disk brakes try cx tires on your road wheels on your mtb or vice versa.
"I" bought a nice cheap Performance frame, canti brakes and tires and swapped everything over from my Roadie. Got 2'nd from 6 out of 9 races (totally sandbagging, never raced cross before.)
there are several nice cheap frames out there including IRO. The performance frame in the rear has spacing (between road and mtb) and causes shifting issues. On frames I suggest 1 or the other no in between.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Run you mtb bike with skinny tires, don't trash your road bike. If its muddy skinny tires will be key, they dig down through the mud and get traction. I think cross is one of the most fun events, plus my wife loves watching all of the crashes :)

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
You wont be able to put cross tires on your road bike due to the clearance. I would just use a mountain bike, some say to change the tire to skinny ones but I never did when I tried first started. Just used an only Trek MTB and had fun.

RAMNATION1

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
there are plenty of desent priced cyclocross bikes out there. disc or not. yes if you want to go to your nearest goodwill or St. vinnies, and get a road bike then find a friend who can do all the changes and the get a fork... what am I saying... don't try and change a road bike to a cyclocross bike ??? unless you are willing to spend some bling! and you know a really good bike fabricator! I am 5 years into this change with an old raleigh that I had spaced to 135 and a disc mount attached, got a disc only cross fork,a nd now am ready to build wheels for it... The reason it took so long... lack of motivation... MTB was more fun.. I am getting on in age and need to get into shape LMAO Good luck, and if you need help findgin fabricators let me know... there are a few here in my hometown... TTY

RAMNATION1

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
BTW... anyone know of anywhere I can get sopme BB-7_ROAD calipers other than new? anyone know of someone who wants to sell them??? Let me know... Thanks I am also looking for some hoops in 32H