Quantcast

Cyclocross Training

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I know there is a 'cross section but it is with the XC forum & figured I would get better insight here. I already derailled a thread in this forum why not continue with the whole thing??

This fall I hope to take on cyclocross. I've never done it before but I have many friends that enjoy it & I get to play in the mud how much cooler does it get??

The Plan:
Base Miles for the next 8-10 weeks. Doing mainly 20-30's 3 days a week & then one longer ride a week for 2 of those weeks. Then upping the mileage every 2 weeks. I want to be doing some metric/standard centuries this summer which will be my long ride a week.

Late summer I'll start running a 2-4 miles twice a week working to build my base for this. September & October start working on more concendrated intervals, threshold & sprinting in both running and cycling.

So far this year I have been just enjoying my mountain bike. No set plan but to get out on my bike 2-5 times a week. I've started to really miss my road bike so a couple weeks ago I decided to get a goal in mind (cyclocross) & start riding the roadie again.

What do you all think of the "Plan"?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
you also need to practice your mount and dismount and how your going to carry the bike through the traps. practice a lot. you can be so much faster and use less energy than your competition if you've got this nailed.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I never had to train specifically for cross season, regular mtb season training just rolled over. I think Tony is right, mounting and dismounting is very important. I thing sprints will be your best bet. I never ran miles as prep, again, you can carry a lot of fitness from general spring and summer riding.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
So practice mounting/dismounting. I'll let my gf know. Sorry - I had to.

Do you think practicing in an open field is good enough or should I build a barrier or two to practice on?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Arsbars said:
So practice mounting/dismounting. I'll let my gf know. Sorry - I had to.

Do you think practicing in an open field is good enough or should I build a barrier or two to practice on?

For the mounts and dismounts a field should do fine. If you want to get all serious, yah, get some spare wood (hahah - I had to), and set up some cheesy barriers to practice hopping over. Find some stairs and run up and down those while carrying your bike too.