Quantcast

Cyclocross

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
It never appealed to me before to be honest. I ended up buying a Surly Cross-Check about a year ago and used it as a road bike. A few months ago I got some cross tires and took it out on a test run. Ended up doing a 40 mile ride and had a total blast. Last week I did a 45+ mile ride.

It’s a lot of fun and really seems to be helping with my climbing skills and cardiovascular. I'm planning on doing a couple races this year to kick my ass into shape for the DH race season.

It’s funny to me because its totally not my style really. No spandex or anything ever. Its kind of my guilty pleasure in terms of bikes...is it just me or does anyone else feel like this?

Here is a crappy picture of my ride: (Got to love the pea green with gold components - HA!)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
As long as you're enjoying it that's all that matters, right?

Does that have a steel fork? Do you like it?

I bought a road bike last year to train on and am now going the other way and picking up a cross bike to build up. I like the option of riding off-road (lots of traffic around here) and doing some light trails. Don't know if I'd ever race it (you're talking about racing cyclocross I'm assuming?). Just a few more parts to find and a frame order and it'll be good to go!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
As long as you're enjoying it that's all that matters, right?

Does that have a steel fork? Do you like it?

I bought a road bike last year to train on and am now going the other way and picking up a cross bike to build up. I like the option of riding off-road (lots of traffic around here) and doing some light trails. Don't know if I'd ever race it (you're talking about racing cyclocross I'm assuming?). Just a few more parts to find and a frame order and it'll be good to go!
Yeah as long as I enjoy it. =] I used to talk smack about cx but now that I actually tried it its totally fun.

Yes it does have a steel fork on it. It has a little flex in it to take up some of the harder stuff. Its so funny flying down a trail and catching air clipped into this bad boy. haha such funny mental pictures every time I launch it.

My only gripe about the bike is I REALLY wish it had disk brakes. My buddies Rock Lobster he’s got has them and its SO much better then rim brakes. I have been spoiled with disks on my other bikes the past 2 years. I'm debating having some mounts welded onto the frame/fork. But then I would have to get new wheels. blah.

Yeah I started with road for training and it was really nice for when it wasn’t so wet/cold out. I just swap tires on my bike so I can have both. Maybe I will pick up an actual road bike at some point, but what I'm doing now seems to be working.

What kind of frame are you building up? Post a picture once its built up! I am super stoked with my Surly. So now I have my steel cx bike and my steel dh bike. Steel is really nice.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Yeah as long as I enjoy it. =] I used to talk smack about cx but now that I actually tried it its totally fun.

Yes it does have a steel fork on it. It has a little flex in it to take up some of the harder stuff. Its so funny flying down a trail and catching air clipped into this bad boy. haha such funny mental pictures every time I launch it.

My only gripe about the bike is I REALLY wish it had disk brakes. My buddies Rock Lobster he’s got has them and its SO much better then rim brakes. I have been spoiled with disks on my other bikes the past 2 years. I'm debating having some mounts welded onto the frame/fork. But then I would have to get new wheels. blah.

Yeah I started with road for training and it was really nice for when it wasn’t so wet/cold out. I just swap tires on my bike so I can have both. Maybe I will pick up an actual road bike at some point, but what I'm doing now seems to be working.

What kind of frame are you building up? Post a picture once its built up! I am super stoked with my Surly. So now I have my steel cx bike and my steel dh bike. Steel is really nice.

Awesome! That sounds ammusing trying to huck things on a cross bike.

I'm slowly gathering parts and taking some off a road bike I have. I'm going to build a Jake the Snake, a bike I've always wanted. Hopefully I'll either find a good used frame (hard because I ride a 49), or pony up and buy the '07. Pics. will certainly be posted. Only a cassette, fork and cranks to go! I'm excited to put an Ultegra drivetrain on it :monkeydance: