Quantcast

D-bag of the week.

plz define hero for any purposes whatsoever
Emerson:
Towards all this external evil, the man within the breast assumes a warlike attitude, and affirms his ability to cope single–handed with the infinite army of enemies. To this military attitude of the soul we give the name of Heroism. Its rudest form is the contempt for safety and ease, which makes the attractiveness of war. It is a self–trust which slights the restraints of prudence, in the plenitude of its energy and power to repair the harms it may suffer. The hero is a mind of such balance that no disturbances can shake his will, but pleasantly, and, as it were, merrily, he advances to his own music, alike in frightful alarms and in the tipsy mirth of universal dissoluteness. There is somewhat not philosophical in heroism; there is somewhat not holy in it; it seems not to know that other souls are of one texture with it; it has pride; it is the extreme of individual nature. Nevertheless, we must profoundly revere it. There is somewhat in great actions, which does not allow us to go behind them. Heroism feels and never reasons, and therefore is always right; and although a different breeding, different religion, and greater intellectual activity would have modified or even reversed the particular action, yet for the hero that thing he does is the highest deed, and is not open to the censure of philosophers or divines. It is the avowal of the unschooled man, that he finds a quality in him that is negligent of expense, of health, of life, of danger, of hatred, of reproach, and knows that his will is higher and more excellent than all actual and all possible antagonists.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
plz define hero for any purposes whatsoever
1. Someone who risks his well-being.
2. Someone who does something extraordinary.
3. Someone who acts unselfishly.

BTW, why I am not surprised you need someone to define heroism for you?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
So, every soldier who's fought in every single war, regardless of which side he/she fought on (or which country he/she fought for, or however many atrocities were committed), is a hero? Are Al Qaeda fighters heroes? Nazis? Or is it only those who fought for us who are heroes, and those fighting for *other* countries/terrorist groups are "evildoers, terrorists, cowards, etc"?

Right, because the Republicans have never, *ever* used "support our troops" as a tool to push for more (or continued) war... Ever.

Then again, we know how the Republicans feel about our troops serving overseas....
That's funny because you used the same logic Hayes' defenders used.

No, I personally do not consider heroes of Al Qaeda or the SS. I'm sure terrorists and Nazis probably do, but I am neither.

Is the crew of Enola Gay going to take a victory lap in Hiroshima? No, they are not.

Nor would I consider a state-side supply clerk a hero either.

And is heroism overused by politicians? Of course. And if Hayes was criticizing our government about this, or even a particular person who he did not consider a hero, I would not have a complaint.

I think he choked on the word hero because he doesn't understand what it means. Look at what the guy does: he comments about current events. He is real smart and articulate, but when has he taken a position which came at risk to well-being?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The poppies. I have seen that before, what is the origin?
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields

Read up on the battle of Flanders...in Belgium. Not Springfield.

Heroism is subjective. Often one is annointed a hero simply because their deeds were observed and the observer lived to tell the tale. How many heroes were there in teh World Trade Center attacks? We will never know, but men like Rick Rescorla stepped up and saved many lives. Men like Mychal Judge rushed in when they didnt have to. Memorial Day is a rememberance of those who have fallen in service of others, whether heroically or not.

Last edited: