Quantcast

D7000

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
If I am just going to carry my camera/lens I usually either use a f.64 case and toss it in my Dakine hydration pack or strap the f.64 case to the shoulder straps and wear it on my chest. Tends to restrict breathing a bit, also have to be quite careful.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Should have gotten the D300s you idiot. :D

Would love to hear your thoughts on it. I have a few people always ask me about it, I have yet to touch one.

I won't be giving up my D3s or D700 anytime soon though. :)

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I made a good purchase for my needs. Its quick as hell. The size is nice. Bigger than my last camera D50. Fit my budget. I am a hobbyist.
You know I like giving you crap. The size is really appealing. I have always run batt/vert grips on all of my cameras, one reason is due to the size of most of the DSLR's out there. The D300s was a small camera without the grip.

I would have upgraded to a D7000 if I still had the D300s.

Have fun with it man!

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
You can get the battery on the bottom for the 7000. Its a good size and weight. just a bit bigger and heavier than my 50 which i like the size of. I hated all those d440 d60 d90 plastic body ****. This is mag and sealed. its serious.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
You can get the battery on the bottom for the 7000. Its a good size and weight. just a bit bigger and heavier than my 50 which i like the size of. I hated all those d440 d60 d90 plastic body ****. This is mag and sealed. its serious.
Magnesium is real. Plus if you let it sit in salt water, it will dissolve!!!

Where did you pick it up?

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
I am trying to figure out how to turn it on. I have been shooting studio shots in my basement for work and thats the extent of it so far. A few quik vids of my kids and thats it. Its a sick camera. I was due, my D50, still a nice camera has nothing on this one.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I picked up a D7000 a couple days ago. I havent had a lot of time with it but it feels like a huge step up from my D80. Ill post some pictures and maybe a video once I get some time.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I would love to here more about the D7000 from those of you that have some time on em now.

Looking to step up from my D70s. It's a fantastic camera for it's age but I have been wanting better high ISO performance.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jason, i'm not sure if you know Rev Aaron from Return To The Pit (he was down @ MDF again), but he got a D7000 a few weeks ago and has been shooting Nikon for a while now (he's probably got over 300K actuations on his D3). give him a shout about it.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I would love to here more about the D7000 from those of you that have some time on em now.

Looking to step up from my D70s. It's a fantastic camera for it's age but I have been wanting better high ISO performance.
I have quite a bit of time on my D7000 now. Every time I pick it up I love it more and more. The ISO was one of the big reasons why I picked it up. If I pushed my D80 past ISO800 I saw noise. I have been shooting at ISO2000 and still see no noise.

I was at a softball game and was shooting and the 6fps was great.

The dual card slots is great as I don't have to keep my eye on filling up the card as much.

Going from your D70 you wont be sad at all. You will wish you had done it sooner.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have quite a bit of time on my D7000 now. Every time I pick it up I love it more and more. The ISO was one of the big reasons why I picked it up. If I pushed my D80 past ISO800 I saw noise. I have been shooting at ISO2000 and still see no noise.
Thanks, that helps. Didn't realize it went to 6 fps as well. Bonus.

I have an ancient manual focus 50mm f/1.8 and that has been my one saving throw with the D70s in low light. I also have the "way better than a kit lens" that came with the D70s, it's a 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5.

But yeah, like most of the mid 2000's era Nikons, the high ISO is just a mess. I only go to 800 when I know I want the texture and film graininess (which I tweak in ufraw later)

One badass thing about the D70s is there is literally no flash sync limit on it. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

The magic setup I'm looking at now would be something like the D7000, a new 50mm f/1.8 AF-S (or maybe the f/1.4) and one more mid to long range zoom. That would put me in the ballpark for 99% of the shooting I want to do. Fisheye glass sometime down the road.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Jason, i'm not sure if you know Rev Aaron from Return To The Pit (he was down @ MDF again), but he got a D7000 a few weeks ago and has been shooting Nikon for a while now (he's probably got over 300K actuations on his D3). give him a shout about it.
But ridemonkey is the only source of reliable information on the internet. Get real brah.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Yea, I know some pro photographers that love the D70 just for the flash sync.

I have a Sigma 18-50 2.8 Macro DC OS HSM (discontinued now) on it 95% of the time. Its a great lens, even beyond macro shots. It shoots my pre-VR Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 really nicely. It focus' much better than it did on my D80.

A 27-70 2.8 is my next dream lens.

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
I have a bunch of time on mine now. Love the ISO, dual card slots the FPS is nice when you need it. Its just got so much more than my previous D50. Timelapse setup, U1 and U2 programmable buttons. Get it, you will no be dissapointed. I also got a Tokina 11-16 2.8 recently thats just awesome.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Trigger on the D7k pulled. (plus a battery grip and dual 16GB cards) Should have it in about a week.

Other day I also picked up one of the new AF-S 50mm f/1.8 -

Amazing lens for $200

Also got my wife the Nikon P7000. She'll be reading the manual for most of the summer.
:D

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
Congrats guys. Like to hear about that 50mm after some time, I have the older 50 1.8 and its so good for the money. I got my wife the P300 right after i got the D7k, pretty good little P&S.

Ok for the bad news. I have to send my D7k back to Nikon, when I shut the power off the LCD screen stay on for another 30 seconds then shuts off. Nikon has had a few instances of this and has to be seen. Sucks cuz my D50 was beat on and never had a problem. Wish I never sold that camera.

jim

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ok for the bad news. I have to send my D7k back to Nikon, when I shut the power off the LCD screen stay on for another 30 seconds then shuts off. Nikon has had a few instances of this and has to be seen.
Is it a firmware issue?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
H8R, you'll have to let me know how the battery grip works out. I find that most cameras, especially with a longer lens like my 80-200 tend to get a little uncomfortable with the shorter bodies. I'd be interested in adding a little more meat to the grip area.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'd be interested in adding a little more meat to the grip area.
That's what she said.

I was looking to get a D300s, it's a bit wider and roomier and the grip is not as cramped, but the D7000 is better where it counts for my needs. If I was going to do more action and needed a bigger buffer for continuous shooting I would have went with the D300s.

So the grip was a logical choice. Also, I'll be doing a bunch of video which chews up batteries.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
T
I have an ancient manual focus 50mm f/1.8 and that has been my one saving throw with the D70s in low light. ...

The magic setup I'm looking at now would be something like the D7000, a new 50mm f/1.8 AF-S (or maybe the f/1.4)
Trigger on the D7k pulled. (plus a battery grip and dual 16GB cards) Should have it in about a week.

Other day I also picked up one of the new AF-S 50mm f/1.8 -

Amazing lens for $200
my wife just picked up a D7000 today. She wants to get into amateur photography and wants something to grow into. I'm just hoping she'll let me take it out to shoot some mtbing...

anyways, I'm wondering if it's worth getting an AF-S lense over the AF lens. Specifically on the 50mm f/1.8 lens. There seems to be a $100 difference between the two, and I'm wondering if it's worth getting the -S lense, since the D7000 has a motor in it, and the lense will mostly be used for non-sport related pictures.

Also, you guys have any good photo forums to recommend?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I'd get the 35 f1.8G AFS, IMO 50mm on a DX sensor is pretty useless as a "walk around" lens. I like the 35, and usually put it on the wifes D40x when I want a light simple set up to carry around.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'd get the 35 f1.8G AFS, IMO 50mm on a DX sensor is pretty useless as a "walk around" lens. I like the 35, and usually put it on the wifes D40x when I want a light simple set up to carry around.
I love the 50. I agree it would not be the "perfect" walk-around lens for most though but I like how it's just WYSIWYG.

As far as the AS-F vs. the D, they are about equal in sharpness and speed but the AF-S is much quieter and allows you to manually tweak the focus on the fly.

Good direct comparison here: (walk-around style...)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
H8R, you'll have to let me know how the battery grip works out. I find that most cameras, especially with a longer lens like my 80-200 tend to get a little uncomfortable with the shorter bodies. I'd be interested in adding a little more meat to the grip area.
Got the camera/grip in yesterday.

Short answer: get the grip.

I have large hands and the grip offers better handling all around. In landscape, there is just that little bit of added grip where my pinky finger can rest where before it would be tucked under the camera. The D7000 is just a bit smaller than the D70s I am used to, so the grip makes it instantly feel less cramped. The added wheel, AF lock and joystick come in handy too.

Love the camera. Blown away really.

Only thing I found I wish it had so far....there is an accelerometer in the camera. It can add rotation info to the pics and it offers a "virtual horizon" feature. So....why do they not have a feature in the camera to auto-rotate the "info" display and menus while holding the camera in portrait orientation? It seems it would be fully capable hardware wise.