Quantcast

D800

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Spend your coin on clean high ISO images with a good sensor. Save all that gucci lens money for coke and hookers.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
That's a very far cry from "2 stops faster", not to mention any cheaper. Not to mention both of the above mentioned lenses cannot hold a candle in either focus speed, contrast/color or durability of the 70-200 2.8.

Troll fail.
troll? the 85 f/1.8 focuses faster than my 70-200 and i've had it longer...durability has been fine. i've heard of CA issues w/ that lens but to be honest i've never once had to correct for any purple fringing in any of my photos...maybe i am not that sensitive to it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
troll? the 85 f/1.8 focuses faster than my 70-200 and i've had it longer...durability has been fine. i've heard of CA issues w/ that lens but to be honest i've never once had to correct for any purple fringing in any of my photos...maybe i am not that sensitive to it.
That wasn't in response to you. Clearly pointing out the futility in a statement like "2 stops faster" and cheaper. To get even remotely close to that statement, in speed alone, to cover the range of the 70-200 is ludicrously expensive - and even then not 2 stops faster.

85 1.8 isn't weather sealed nor built like a tank like the 70-200 or 85 1.2. The 1.2 by the way is ridiculously good in terms of well, everything. It focuses almost instantaneously on a 1 series body. I'd say it's up there with the 300 2.8, which is easily the best lens canon makes.

I'm sure the 1.8 works great, that wasn't the point though.

Also, get your 70-200 in for service. The 2 I've owned both focused lightning fast, although the IS one wasn't anywhere NEAR as sharp as the non IS one I currently have, or any 85mm I have played with, that's for sure.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I didn't know High ISO could also do shallow DOF or activate more AF sensors on most bodies. Who knew??!

;)
I'm actually not totally sure WTF the conversation is about in this thread anyway.

Here's an idea:

If you like a lens, and you can afford it....buy it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a friend of mine at work just got his D800 on Monday. nice piece of gear, at least it felt nice... the Nikon controls left me totally flummoxed.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
the Nikon controls left me totally flummoxed.
Same thing when I pick up a Canon. Aside from the comfort of the grip (anything from the 60D up feels NICE), the layout is a big WTF.