Quantcast

Dainese Bib Leg Armor

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
Anyone else miss the old Dainese Bib Full-Leg Armor? My old one bit the dust and leg armor just has a bad tendency of sliding down my legs in a crash. Is there anything similar out there? What are some of the best leg armors out there nowadays? Most full-length armor can still move down on my leg.

P.S. I see these kinds of threads from time to time, but I figure it makes sense to see what else is out there.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I used to have a set back around 2002 to 2006 or so. Best thing ever. I just recently scored a set that were more or less brand new for $65 shipped off pinkbike. I was like you: I missed my old set and I didn't like anything else out there.

I haven't seen anything else similar really. I was actually considering getting a set of Dainese armoured shorts, or TLD shorts, and then somehow securing knee pads to them. That's the only thing I could ever come up with.

Last edited:

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path

On the rare occasion I ride the lifts w/ a dh bike anymore, I bust out the old getup.
The original matching jacket died at some point, but the bibs are 12-13 yrs old and hanging in there. Not the en vogue protection anymore - certainly saved me from myself back then.

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
totally miss them! best leg pro ever. i had three sets that all bit the dust and wish I could find another...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I still have a set of Viking bibs in my closet, but I haven't ridden DH in quite a while. I used them a lot; I don't think any of the straps were still attached properly; I just wrapped them around my leg and the pads. They worked great, except for the plastic being a bit thin (probably made them more comfortable, though).

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I guess you're referring to 5.10 shoes meaning they kept people from sliding off their pedals. I never had that problem whether I was wearing Shimano DX shoes, regular everyday skate shoes or flip flops.

Either way, to each their own I suppose...

Last edited:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
i like my shins enough to still use knee/shin pads.
+1

My shins simply don't have room for any more stitches.

I had a pair of old Viking bibs but the top part of the bib was pretty torn up so I cut the knee/shin part off and still wear them.

I use knee warmers on top of them and wear them religiously - even on trail rides. Most comfortable setup ever - it's like you are not wearing any pads at all.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Wasn't riding DH when this happened, I was on my trail bike... I was up on Fromme on the north shore in a rocky section. Front wheel dug in and I went over and landed in some roots and crap. Hurt like hell. Having those side panels on the bibs would have helped.