Quantcast

Dainese knee/shin

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive been using the Revolution knee/shin guards for years and love them.
mine are showing a lot of wear from years of abuse and i need new ones.

i prefer pads w/ velcro only that need to be slipped on. i dont like buckles or hooks and i see the new Revolution pads have a buckle for the top support

has anyone tried the new "Racing knee guard?" they seem a bit bulkier than the Revolutions

prefer these, but BTI doesnt seem to have them

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Interesting that you like Dianese knee/shin's. I bought a pair once, and they were without a doubt the worst knee/shin's I've ever tried on, bar none, and I've tried them all practically.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have been using these since beginning of last season and I am real happy with them. The top part articulates w/ the knee. They are quite comfy, even for my chicken legs. I had a nasty crash at Angel Fire and they slide down and my knees got banged up. So now I use a 661 pad lock. But to be fair the straps are showing signs of wear and probably need to be replaced.

As far as buying them, can't you just get them thru the Dainese store?

Edit: Actually, I have the 3X, but mine look more like this picture than the 3x picture. BTW-Who taught those italians to do web design?

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
661 Kyle Straits. Nuff said
You should take a look at the POC Bone Knee and Shin guards. They're awesome!!
thanks for reading
Interesting that you like Dianese knee/shin's. I bought a pair once, and they were without a doubt the worst knee/shin's I've ever tried on, bar none, and I've tried them all practically.
ive been using different variations of the Evolution knee/shin for 10+ years and dont have a single complaint about them. ive tried most pads and hate them all.

Edit: Actually, I have the 3X, but mine look more like this picture than the 3x picture. BTW-Who taught those italians to do web design?
yeah i could pay retail for them from the Dainese store, but why would i when i can get them at cost.
the 3X is similar to the racing knee guard

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I have been using these since beginning of last season and I am real happy with them. The top part articulates w/ the knee. They are quite comfy, even for my chicken legs. I had a nasty crash at Angel Fire and they slide down and my knees got banged up. So now I use a 661 pad lock. But to be fair the straps are showing signs of wear and probably need to be replaced.
Those things fit pretty small though, a large in those is pretty small - too small for my chubby legs.

IH8rice - you tried POC shinnies? After owning these I'm gonna find it pretty difficult to use anything else I think.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
IH8rice - you tried POC shinnies? After owning these I'm gonna find it pretty difficult to use anything else I think.
no, havent tried them. im not a fan of white pads and ive been pretty happy with all the Dainese pads ive had over the years.
ill try them out if i can find them tho

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland

SylentK, how do these feel with the Padlock on, do they still articulate well or is a bit more restricted? I've been looking for new pads, and to me it seems you either get good all round knee protection with Kyle Strait style pads but leave your shins open to get battered, or get shin protection with traditional knee shins but less substantial protection on the knee, especially the top. I recently ended up with a bruise on top of my knee after a very minor crash, just because the knee cup on my current pads doesn't come up far enough. I'm almost on the verge of buying a Strait type pad and stitching on the lower part of a knee shin, but I'd be interested to hear how these Dainese work.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
SylentK, how do these feel with the Padlock on, do they still articulate well or is a bit more restricted? I've been looking for new pads, and to me it seems you either get good all round knee protection with Kyle Strait style pads but leave your shins open to get battered, or get shin protection with traditional knee shins but less substantial protection on the knee, especially the top. I recently ended up with a bruise on top of my knee after a very minor crash, just because the knee cup on my current pads doesn't come up far enough. I'm almost on the verge of buying a Strait type pad and stitching on the lower part of a knee shin, but I'd be interested to hear how these Dainese work.
They feel nice and secure with the padlocks, and you get the same articulation. Socket does have a point, they are pretty minimal. The top bit is sewn in to the knee cup so you do have protection for the top of your knee. But not if it slides down...obviously.

I think you may like the TLD Lopes pads. They only last about a season if you race/ride a lot. But I thought they protected well and were comfy. They just didn't protect my shins very well and it seemed like I was always getting rocks thrown at my shin just below the pads :rant:

Last edited:

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
They feel nice and secure with the padlocks, and you get the same articulation. Socket does have a point, they are pretty minimal. The top bit is sewn in to the knee cup so you do have protection for the top of your knee. But not if it slides down...obviously.

I think you may like the TLD Lopes pads. They only last about a season if you race/ride a lot. But I thought they protected well and were comfy. They just didn't protect my shins very well and it seemed like I was always getting rocks thrown at my shin just below the pads :rant:
Cheers for replying. Yeah, even without seeing them in the flesh I got the impression that they were fairly minimalist, but I do like the idea of the above-the-knee hard shell. As it happens though, I've just bought a set of Pro-Tec Gravity pads:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Product-Blog-ProTec-Gravity-Knee-Pads,72

I mentioned above, I think what I'm going to do is hack up a set of cheap knee-shins and stitch/velcro part of the shin guard onto the bottom of the knee pads. Given the amount of gouges on my current shin pads I don't think I'd feel comfortable just using a knee pad on it's own. Nobody makes what I want so I'll just have to make it myself. :) Race Face almost got it right with their Flank pads, but they are d3o/EVA based, not hard shell. :rolleyes:

I had considered the Troy Lee Lopes, but two things put me off. One, reports of them falling apart as you say, and two, no improvement in terms of hard shell coverage compared to what I currently use (cheap TLD combat pads with 661 Padlocks).

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
i prefer pads w/ velcro only that need to be slipped on. i dont like buckles or hooks and i see the new Revolution pads have a buckle for the top support
In case you're unsure about the quality of the buckle (top strap) and hook (lower straps), mine show no signs of wear after 3 years. The velcro and stretch fabric strap material will be what wears out on mine, not the plastic.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
In case you're unsure about the quality of the buckle (top strap) and hook (lower straps), mine show no signs of wear after 3 years. The velcro and stretch fabric strap material will be what wears out on mine, not the plastic.
wasnt concerned about the quality, although i have seen some break. i just prefer the all velcro design like the older Evolution.

I just bought those to replace my nasty old, ripped up mesh grey Dainese knee/shin armor. LOVE them so far. I totally forget I'm wearing them, and they do not move an inch. 4 stars.
do they slip on like the Evolutions or are they just held on by velcro?

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
do they slip on like the Evolutions or are they just held on by velcro?
The model I bought has velcro straps and can be put on / removed without taking off my shoes. I considered the bulkier model you showed in the first post above but hoped these would be cooler. Again, I'm super happy with them so far.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The model I bought has velcro straps and can be put on / removed without taking off my shoes. I considered the bulkier model you showed in the first post above but hoped these would be cooler. Again, I'm super happy with them so far.
yeah, the Racing Knee Guard does seem pretty bulky compared to the Evo's.
i think ill try and deal with the new Evo's and their top buckle, but hope they slip on like the older ones