Quantcast

Dainese saved my legs-Retiring From DH Racing, but still riding & active in the scene

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
First off, I’d like to thank the girl who was there to keep my mind off the pain (Pink and White jersey with short blonde hair, had a teammate who injured her wrist) – I don’t know who you are, but thanks for the help. I needed someone there to keep me thinking and talking, even if I couldn’t get the breath to do so. I also want to thank Ken Walters, George Ryan, and every single rider who was there that helped look after me, my bike, and carry me off the course on Saturday afternoon – I appreciate what you did for me more than words can say.

So… The good news is that there is no damage to my spinal column. After I was taken to St. Claire’s in Sussex I got a sh!tload of x-rays and then a lift to ***** Hospital in my hometown of ****** for more tests. CT scans at Valley were negative for fractures in my thoracic spine where I took the hit, ( I think around T5 and T6) and the chest x-rays from St. Claire’s were negative for broken ribs (at first). No blood in my kidneys and my liver was O.K. too. Fortunately there really isn’t any bad news, unless you count not being able to cough without blacking out. :biggrin: The ER doc at Valley said there was still the possibility of having some cracked ribs, but he felt everything was O.K.. My back was pretty jacked up and the back of my ribcage on my right side was super sore. On the way out of Valley ER last night the doc gave me a prescription for some “Hollywood Tabs”, but I think I’m gonna stay away from that sh!t for now. :) … and I don’t want any of you crackheads out there tryin’ to hit me up for some, because I don’t want to aid and abet in the abuse of narcotics. :biggrin:

I thought everything was fine – still had a ton of pain in my lower right back/side, but thought I was O.K. since everything was negative at Valley. Then the following night, I get a call from the Ortho doc at St. Claire’s Sunday evening and he tells me flat out that I’ve got 2 broken ribs #9 and 10 on my right side. SO then I had to go back to Valley to figure out what the hell was going on, - and sure enough, they confirmed it. What the other doc in the ER at Valley said the day before was correct – I would be fine and needed no further treatment, but he didn’t mention the broken ribs. The treatment is just bed rest – they don’t like to wrap rib injuries because it prevents the patient from inhaling all the way and this puts them at risk for pneumonia.

What still doesn’t register with me is the fact that I didn’t suffer any other damage. Both ER docs said I was REALLY lucky that it wasn’t any worse – meaning paralysis. It was a miracle that I walked out of this with nothing more than some scratches, a sore back, and 2 broken ribs. If it weren’t for the back-plate in my Dainese body armor, things would have been… worse.

What happened:
It was a beautiful day on Saturday at Diablo – cool breeze, blue skies, and sunny. The conditions on the course were perfect – not too dry, not too damp but just right. So I took 2 practice runs and went slow, getting off my bike to scope out my lines. I stood on the side of the course at the top of the first rock garden and was talking to a photog that was sponsored by Sinister. He and I discussed the different options, and then from there, I figured out what the best line would be for me. Then I got off my bike before the second rock garden and did the same – talked to some riders, scoped out the lines and got a feel for what would be best suited to my capabilities. I can remember walking to the bottom of that 2nd section and making a mental note of this rock that was shaped like a tombstone (unsettling) in the entrance to the corner which stuck up straight out of the ground after this big rectangular block of rock. I remember looking at that thing and thinking, “Man, I’d better not hit that – gotta stay to the inside of the corner when I come off that block.” So I felt pretty confident and decided to go for a 3rd run. Cleared both rock gardens without any problems – stayed on my pre-determined lines and made it though. I remember thinking on the lift ride back up that it felt easy… too easy, but I didn’t pay much attention to that. I didn’t feel over-confident or that I dominated the course – I still had a healthy fear of the tricky sections – it’s just that I felt a lot smoother than usual… and it felt weird.

So here comes the forth run: I decide to crank up my speed a bit, and try to carry a bit more going through the second rock garden. This combined with not being completely focused and not remembering exactly where that tombstone was is why I wrecked. I hugged the wall to my left on the off-camber entrance to the 2nd rock garden, braked, and then cut across to the right toward the giant rectangular rock slab. I was so focused on my front wheel and the obstacles coming at me that I didn’t re-adjust my field of vision and look ahead of me into the turn while I was on the giant block of rock. Instead of cutting to the inside of the corner off of the rock slab, I went straight, and landed just before the tombstone.

Immediately after I landed, the front wheel hit the tombstone rock, so I tried to absorb as much as I could. After the front end cleared it, I braked as best I could w/o locking up but it wasn’t helping. At this point I’ve got one foot off the pedals and was doing a nose-wheelie. I’m not sure what happened after that but at some point I decided to tuck and roll instead of jumping over the bars, so I put my left arm out, tucked my left shoulder and rolled. My lower body came around, with my legs extended, and while I was still upside down in mid-forward somersault, that’s when my back slammed into a tree. I didn’t hear it, but I felt a “CRUNCH” in my back, bounced off the tree, and then landed with my feet facing down hill somehow. When everything stopped, I was immediately doing a systems check on my body, and could move my legs and feet – no tingling, but I could feel a TON of pain in my back – but at least I could FEEL, so that was some good news. What really freaked me out was that on top of the pain in my lower back, it was excruciating to take a breath. I thought for sure that I had some broken ribs in my lower back and maybe cracked vertebrae. So I’m taking all these little shallow breaths to try and get oxygen into my body, and that’s when everyone showed up. Once again, to each and every one of you who helped me that day, “Thank You”. The thing that comforted me the most was to see everyone around me, looking after me. That made ALL the difference.

The blonde-haired girl in the Pink/White jersey was the first person to get to me, and she, along with a bunch of riders kept me company until the medics showed up.

On a side note: Some guy rode his bike within an inch of my head and the girl next to me, while I was laying there unable to move on the side of the course …. I could say more about that, but won’t at this time.

Got the full-on backboard treatment and a ride in the pickup to the bottom. I don’t know who was driving, but they did an awesome job of making it as smooth as possible – I know how bumpy that fire road is.

I love racing DH, but that was just too much of a close call. For me, the risks of racing DH outweigh the benefits, so I’ve decided to retire from racing. I know Eric Carter had a similar off-the bike experience, and now I completely understand his decision to stop racing DH. I was almost going to stop riding completely, but that Sunday IS a pretty sweet bike… :biggrin:

I’m out until September, but that doesn’t mean you won’t see me at the Diablo races just hanging out, or as a Course Marshall there.

Nothing has really changed, other than the fact that I won’t be racing anymore.

From now on, a clock will not dictate how fast I go down the mountain – it’s just gonna be me, my boys, and some sweet runs down whatever trails we feel like.

The downhill riding community of today reminds me of what it was like when I first started snowboarding almost 14 years ago - it's a tight-knit community where we all try to look out for one another and take care of our own. That’s why I’ll always love DH. That’s why I’ll always RIDE.

C.K. (My real first name)

dhsean

Chimp
Dec 5, 2006
CK, sorry I was the guy that rode by your head. MY rear brake faded and it was either dump the bike and possibly fall on you or ride it out. I felt really bad about not stopping but it seemed safest at the time.

Glad to hear your that your "OK" and wish you a speedy recovery. We have all been in the position before (I crushed my T2 once) and it is always amazing how everybody helps you out.

Once again, I'm really sorry but I had no rear brake.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hey man, I saw you getting loaded up into the ambulance and got a bit of the story from other riders. Glad that you are relatively okay. There were definitely a few rocks on Utah that kind of sneak up on your front wheel. Heal up quick.

4_thesportt

Chimp
Feb 13, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey!
I think the girl you're talking about with the short hair was Isabel Georgian *I think that's her last name... she took first in Am women* && helped load you onto the back board and into the truck.

I remember when I got up to that point I was all set to ride down && one of the riders was like 'There's a rider down, he's been there for like 15-20 min'... so I dumped my bike && hiked down to see what happened....

I guess after seein you on the hill, I got a little shaken up... it sucks to see a fellow rider *even though I dunno you in person* crash && have to get taken off the trail by the medics... it makes you stop and think about how dangerous this sport really is && that you gotta be careful in it... (guess that's why my mom, dad && friends are always at the bottom any day i'm riding to make sure I'm still in one piece at the end of my runs or the end of the day)

Get well soon CK! :)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hey thanks for the good vibes guys - I appreciate it.

Sean - it's cool, I understand now. If you were already coming into that section there really was no way to stop without stacking it.
:)

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
So glad to hear you are ok man.

I saw you on the ground with everyone around you and had a bad feeling in my gut the rest of the day.

I can't believe how many people I see riding with no armor, it's completely crazy not to wear it.

dhsean

Chimp
Dec 5, 2006
Hey thanks for the good vibes guys - I appreciate it.

Sean - it's cool, I understand now. If you were already coming into that section there really was no way to stop without stacking it.
:)
Glad to see your up and typing. You'll be back before you know it and we'll ride for the good reasons like the pure fun off goofing off with your buddies on the mountain. Rest up and see you soon.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
hope you get better. i had a similar fall. YOU NEED TO GO TO A CHRIROPRACTOR! anyway get better soon. dont feel too bad, both me and my buddy ate it on the gravel after the gully jump. i have an MRI today and he went right to the E.R. bottom line-you werent the only one and fell better. i saw u riding earlier, you were rippin'

djinsomnia

Chimp
May 30, 2007
Beverly N.J.
Hey I'm glad to hear your, ok, not really ok, but not hurt worse at least.
I wasn't there Saturday, but hit that same rock on Sunday in my practice run and ended up on my front wheel, but probably was going slower than you and was able save it. I wasn't able to get a line not hitting that rock and for my race run ended up walking that section. (I was in intro class, my first race.) That thing was a death trap. Glad to hear you'll still be riding. -Keith

P.S. Demo 9 I ate there too, my race run was a disaster, my first practice run was the best run I had, before I saw the course lol.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I'm going to put my back plate back on my dainese.

I took it off because it was hot and I often wear a camelback.. not worth it.

Glad you can type. Good luck.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
hope you get better. i had a similar fall. YOU NEED TO GO TO A CHRIROPRACTOR! anyway get better soon. dont feel too bad, both me and my buddy ate it on the gravel after the gully jump. i have an MRI today and he went right to the E.R. bottom line-you werent the only one and fell better. i saw u riding earlier, you were rippin'
You and about 50 other people, that gravel sucked.

Hope your MRI comes out ok.

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
Damn, dude--that is crazy!

I'm glad to hear you're okay. I will definitely keep my Dainese on...

I really liked this line. Really helped put it in perspective.
"From now on, a clock will not dictate how fast I go down the mountain – it’s just gonna be me, my boys, and some sweet runs down whatever trails we feel like."

Thanks for sharing your story, and stay positive!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah - it's fun to race, but most of the time I have to be really focused on finding the right lines and studying the course so it's hard to relax completely and spend more quality time with my friends riding.

I took a look at what was left of my armor the other night - they had to cut my TLD jersey and my Dainese Safety Jacket Next off to treat me. The aluminum honey-comb structure in the core of my back plate was completely flattened - like paper-thin. Scary.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
well the doc said 2-3 weeks before i can get surgery then 4-6 after b4 i can comfortable RIDE. then a while before i can downhill. just goes to show sometimes its better to fall then to put ur foot down...

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Man oh man, K.C. hope you start feeling better fasst. Don't know what it was about this past weekend, but seems like almost everyone had a bad weekend. Hope you guys that got injuries start healing.:thumb:

chatua

Chimp
Jul 3, 2007
hey, I think I know you. I'm from Ridgewood too and I think we met near RHS. I had the black sunday and was picking flowers for hw.

I recognized your white sunday and 888 when you went down. I dont remember seeing your crash but you were pinning it right before it happened. Glad to hear your all right tho

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Thanks guys - I'm doing pretty well so far. The only thing that totally sucks right now is trying to find a comfortable way to sleep. :shakefist:

hey, I think I know you. I'm from Ridgewood too and I think we met near RHS. I had the black sunday and was picking flowers for hw.

I recognized your white sunday and 888 when you went down. I dont remember seeing your crash but you were pinning it right before it happened. Glad to hear your all right tho
Yep - I remember running into you (no pun intended) on the gravel access road by... Steven's Field right? It's been a while since I was a student at RHS...

Yeah... I was trying to do that run at race speed or at least within 90% of it. Just another reminder about how important it is to memorize your lines down to the very last detail, and to look down range instead of right in front of the bike.

So Chatua, how did you do?

EDIT: jvnixon - HELL YEAH! for the Catherine Bell pic... God she's smokin' hot...

That was the best anesthetic ever.

chatua

Chimp
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks guys - I'm doing pretty well so far. The only thing that totally sucks right now is trying to find a comfortable way to sleep. :shakefist:

Yep - I remember running into you (no pun intended) on the gravel access road by... Steven's Field right? It's been a while since I was a student at RHS...

Yeah... I was trying to do that run at race speed or at least within 90% of it. Just another reminder about how important it is to memorize your lines down to the very last detail, and to look down range instead of right in front of the bike.

So Chatua, how did you do?

EDIT: jvnixon - HELL YEAH! for the Catherine Bell pic... God she's smokin' hot...

That was the best anesthetic ever.
Eh, I did so so. Hit the tree next to the "tomb stone" rock you got injured on. That rock is bad luck man.
In practice, I took the line the the right of the giant rock slab before the tomb stone but on the day of, I saw the line was closed off so I made a last minute adjustment before the race run to do the line you did. Didn't memorize what was after the slab so I ended up hugging the tree. Besides that and just being a terrible cornerer, I came in at lucky 13th in intro :banghead:.

Get well soon bro, maybe when youre all healed up, we can hit it up sometime

Staplerzzzz

Chimp
May 21, 2007
Earth
First off, I’d like to thank the girl who was there to keep my mind off the pain (Pink and White jersey with short blonde hair, had a teammate who injured her wrist) – I don’t know who you are, but thanks for the help. I needed someone there to keep me thinking and talking, even if I couldn’t get the breath to do so. I also want to thank Ken Walters, George Ryan, and every single rider who was there that helped look after me, my bike, and carry me off the course on Saturday afternoon – I appreciate what you did for me more than words can say.

good news is that there is So… The no damage to my spinal column. After I was taken to St. Claire’s in Sussex I got a sh!tload of x-rays and then a lift to Valley Hospital in my hometown of Ridgewood for more tests. CT scans at Valley were negative for fractures in my thoracic spine where I took the hit, ( I think around T5 and T6) and the chest x-rays from St. Claire’s were negative for broken ribs (at first). No blood in my kidneys and my liver was O.K. too. Fortunately there really isn’t any bad news, unless you count not being able to cough without blacking out. :biggrin: The ER doc at Valley said there was still the possibility of having some cracked ribs, but he felt everything was O.K.. My back was pretty jacked up and the back of my ribcage on my right side was super sore. On the way out of Valley ER last night the doc gave me a prescription for some “Hollywood Tabs”, but I think I’m gonna stay away from that sh!t for now. :) … and I don’t want any of you crackheads out there tryin’ to hit me up for some, because I don’t want to aid and abet in the abuse of narcotics. :biggrin:

I thought everything was fine – still had a ton of pain in my lower right back/side, but thought I was O.K. since everything was negative at Valley. Then the following night, I get a call from the Ortho doc at St. Claire’s Sunday evening and he tells me flat out that I’ve got 2 broken ribs #9 and 10 on my right side. SO then I had to go back to Valley to figure out what the hell was going on, - and sure enough, they confirmed it. What the other doc in the ER at Valley said the day before was correct – I would be fine and needed no further treatment, but he didn’t mention the broken ribs. The treatment is just bed rest – they don’t like to wrap rib injuries because it prevents the patient from inhaling all the way and this puts them at risk for pneumonia.

What still doesn’t register with me is the fact that I didn’t suffer any other damage. Both ER docs said I was REALLY lucky that it wasn’t any worse – meaning paralysis. It was a miracle that I walked out of this with nothing more than some scratches, a sore back, and 2 broken ribs. If it weren’t for the back-plate in my Dainese body armor, things would have been… worse.

What happened:
It was a beautiful day on Saturday at Diablo – cool breeze, blue skies, and sunny. The conditions on the course were perfect – not too dry, not too damp but just right. So I took 2 practice runs and went slow, getting off my bike to scope out my lines. I stood on the side of the course at the top of the first rock garden and was talking to a photog that was sponsored by Sinister. He and I discussed the different options, and then from there, I figured out what the best line would be for me. Then I got off my bike before the second rock garden and did the same – talked to some riders, scoped out the lines and got a feel for what would be best suited to my capabilities. I can remember walking to the bottom of that 2nd section and making a mental note of this rock that was shaped like a tombstone (unsettling) in the entrance to the corner which stuck up straight out of the ground after this big rectangular block of rock. I remember looking at that thing and thinking, “Man, I’d better not hit that – gotta stay to the inside of the corner when I come off that block.” So I felt pretty confident and decided to go for a 3rd run. Cleared both rock gardens without any problems – stayed on my pre-determined lines and made it though. I remember thinking on the lift ride back up that it felt easy… too easy, but I didn’t pay much attention to that. I didn’t feel over-confident or that I dominated the course – I still had a healthy fear of the tricky sections – it’s just that I felt a lot smoother than usual… and it felt weird.

So here comes the forth run: I decide to crank up my speed a bit, and try to carry a bit more going through the second rock garden. This combined with not being completely focused and not remembering exactly where that tombstone was is why I wrecked. I hugged the wall to my left on the off-camber entrance to the 2nd rock garden, braked, and then cut across to the right toward the giant rectangular rock slab. I was so focused on my front wheel and the obstacles coming at me that I didn’t re-adjust my field of vision and look ahead of me into the turn while I was on the giant block of rock. Instead of cutting to the inside of the corner off of the rock slab, I went straight, and landed just before the tombstone.

Immediately after I landed, the front wheel hit the tombstone rock, so I tried to absorb as much as I could. After the front end cleared it, I braked as best I could w/o locking up but it wasn’t helping. At this point I’ve got one foot off the pedals and was doing a nose-wheelie. I’m not sure what happened after that but at some point I decided to tuck and roll instead of jumping over the bars, so I put my left arm out, tucked my left shoulder and rolled. My lower body came around, with my legs extended, and while I was still upside down in mid-forward somersault, that’s when my back slammed into a tree. I didn’t hear it, but I felt a “CRUNCH” in my back, bounced off the tree, and then landed with my feet facing down hill somehow. When everything stopped, I was immediately doing a systems check on my body, and could move my legs and feet – no tingling, but I could feel a TON of pain in my back – but at least I could FEEL, so that was some good news. What really freaked me out was that on top of the pain in my lower back, it was excruciating to take a breath. I thought for sure that I had some broken ribs in my lower back and maybe cracked vertebrae. So I’m taking all these little shallow breaths to try and get oxygen into my body, and that’s when everyone showed up. Once again, to each and every one of you who helped me that day, “Thank You”. The thing that comforted me the most was to see everyone around me, looking after me. That made ALL the difference.

The blonde-haired girl in the Pink/White jersey was the first person to get to me, and she, along with a bunch of riders kept me company until the medics showed up.

On a side note: Some guy rode his bike within an inch of my head and the girl next to me, while I was laying there unable to move on the side of the course …. I could say more about that, but won’t at this time.

Got the full-on backboard treatment and a ride in the pickup to the bottom. I don’t know who was driving, but they did an awesome job of making it as smooth as possible – I know how bumpy that fire road is.

I love racing DH, but that was just too much of a close call. For me, the risks of racing DH outweigh the benefits, so I’ve decided to retire from racing. I know Eric Carter had a similar off-the bike experience, and now I completely understand his decision to stop racing DH. I was almost going to stop riding completely, but that Sunday IS a pretty sweet bike… :biggrin:

I’m out until September, but that doesn’t mean you won’t see me at the Diablo races just hanging out, or as a Course Marshall there.

Nothing has really changed, other than the fact that I won’t be racing anymore.

From now on, a clock will not dictate how fast I go down the mountain – it’s just gonna be me, my boys, and some sweet runs down whatever trails we feel like.

The downhill riding community of today reminds me of what it was like when I first started snowboarding almost 14 years ago - it's a tight-knit community where we all try to look out for one another and take care of our own. That’s why I’ll always love DH. That’s why I’ll always RIDE.

C.K. (My real first name)
Like it was mentioned that was Isabel Georgian‏, a teamate of mine. This thread was forwarded to her husband so she'll probably see this. I actually crashed at the same time you did higher up in that rock garden, and when I saw you down I didn't think much of it until you stayed down, I went looking for shawn/sean (I don't know which spelling he uses) who was preveously in the first rock garden but by the time I got there they had left.

It's a bummer to hear that you won't be racing anymore but it's a safe call.

And I think I remember seeing that person pass really close to you, we (tall guy in troy lee racing gear, Scott, I and possibly a few others) were trying to tell people to go slow but some didn't listen.

Isabel had put her jersey under your head while you were down, and she beleives that they thought it was yours or something along those lines do you happen to have it? Diablo was great about that they gave her a jersey/shirt to replace it though she seemed really happy to get that.

take it easy

-Phil

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey
good to hear your ok.It sucks that you cant ride, I know how you feel about that, about 2 months ago I crashed and got a servere concusion, so I was out for three weeks, the after riding for one week I broke my foot, so I was out for 5 weeks. I just started riding again about a week ago.Anyway heel up fast.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Like it was mentioned that was Isabel Georgian‏, a teamate of mine. This thread was forwarded to her husband so she'll probably see this. I actually crashed at the same time you did higher up in that rock garden, and when I saw you down I didn't think much of it until you stayed down, I went looking for shawn/sean (I don't know which spelling he uses) who was preveously in the first rock garden but by the time I got there they had left.

It's a bummer to hear that you won't be racing anymore but it's a safe call.

And I think I remember seeing that person pass really close to you, we (tall guy in troy lee racing gear, Scott, I and possibly a few others) were trying to tell people to go slow but some didn't listen.

Isabel had put her jersey under your head while you were down, and she beleives that they thought it was yours or something along those lines do you happen to have it? Diablo was great about that they gave her a jersey/shirt to replace it though she seemed really happy to get that.

take it easy

-Phil
It's really weird how I can remember some things but not all of it in spite of never loosing consciousness. I know I was in a lot of pain - I was even joking with her that it's a good thing I wasn't squeezing her hand with my left one - since I play guitar, that is my stronger hand. :biggrin: I might've broken something on her.

I have no memory of her putting the jersey under my head, but I kind of remember taking off my helmet because it was so hard to breathe.

Yeah - the guy that went by me didn't see that I was down until it was too late, so it was either try to stop and possibly crash on top of me or just ride it out, so it's O.K.

Unfortunately I never found or saw a black Azonic jersey with my gear. My parents had to go back to the mountain on Sunday to pick up my bike, helmet, and truck. But Shawn (the manager) is a pretty cool guy, so I'm glad to hear that he hooked her up with a new one.

Thanks for the "Get Well" wishes, and let's all be safe out there.

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ
Glad to hear you're doing well C.K. You gave me a little spook seeing you on the ground. I tried to help as much as I could and ended up standing as a shade for your face haha. Heal up quick man. See ya around. It's Brian by the way.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Thankfully it was your Dainese not your back... :)

Quick recovery! :]
Keep everyone posted on how you're doing! :D
Lol - seriously... man it just doesn't seem real to me... I know it could've been so much worse, but it still hasn't sunk in.

Glad to hear you're doing well C.K. You gave me a little spook seeing you on the ground. I tried to help as much as I could and ended up standing as a shade for your face haha. Heal up quick man. See ya around. It's Brian by the way.
Hey man thanks - I appreciate the thoughtfulness. All I could do was stare at the sky and turn my head a bit. :)

Not that sweet retro one... say it isn't so... :huh:
Hell No!

I bought another one (07') and cut it to short sleeves.

My 05' TLD GP is only saved for special occasions... :biggrin:

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
That sucks man, heal up soon.

However, i'd like to add that I also hate tombstone rocks at diablo. in the first race i got knocked off line into a massive one and somehow managed to stay on the bike. I went through the tape and had to pull myself back on course and start from a dead stop right before the huge pedaling section across the ski trail 2 woods sections from the bottom. It cost me what could have been a win and I ended up in 8th place.

i don't think you should quit racing dh, i think we should get rid of those rocks. :)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
That sucks about your race, run but glad to know that you are OK.

Ehh - I think the rocks are fine. Maybe next time spray-painting the trouble spots with flourescent paint to help make them more visible would be a good idea.

But it's not like the area where I crashed had no possible safe route to get through. I just forgot the layout of the terrain in front of me and got off line - that's my fault. :biggrin: