Quantcast

Dallas Area

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
So, my company just announced they are shutting down the offices in my town (Ventura, CA) and moving it all to North Dallas. I'm going there in two weeks to try and determine if I want to take them up on their offer to come along. Anybody have any thoughts? How's the riding? If possible, I'd like to take a ride or two to check it out - any shops that rent a decent bike? I'll be staying in Plano. I've already scouted dorba.org, are there more trails than that? Thanks!

Edit: I ride trail/XC, not interested in freeride, DH or DJ.

SiNNiK

Chimp
Dec 24, 2003
Originally posted by ghostrider
I'm hoping the lack of interest here isn't an indicator of the scene in Dallas....
well as joel said, your best (only?) bet is dorba.org if XC is your only interest. they have most, if not all trails listed with directions and descriptions. i just left the DFW area and have found some helpful people on dorba's site. i don't think too many of them hang out on this board.

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
Like it was said before. Check the DORBA.org site... lots of info and people willing to ride anywhere at a drop of a hat.

If you are into XC type riding we definately have it here (although we are altitude challenged). There are at least 10 trails in the DFW area maybe more and a few in the north dallas area. Lots of riding and a good mt. bike community.

If racing is your thing there are two texas series one in the spring and one in the fall. Also DORBA puts on 3 more races every fall all close to North Dallas.

There are groups that do Freeride and Urban Assault. It is my understanding that there is at least one "secret" free ride location with many homemade obstacles etc.

The dorba site is a good starting point, through it you will find all the riding you want and eventually find a group that you enjoy riding with.

PM me if you want to arrange a ride on your visit, I would be happy to show a monkey a trail or two.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Thanks for the info. I put a post up on the DORBA site here. I got some good responses, but most are pretty much talking me out of it. At first I was worried about the riding - looks like I'd be fine there - now I'm worried about the climate. Either way, I'll be there to check it out, and it would be cool to ride with some people if the timing works - worst case is I get to ride some new trails and meet some fellow fat tire junkies. And maybe even drink a Shiner.

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
The trick to dealing with the heat is to get out in it, eventually you begin to love it. I am originally from WVA and Ohio, and my wife is from MA we both love the summers here. Sure it is hot, but you can become accoustomed to it and it does not have to prevent you from doing anything.

On the upside, year around riding... no snow, no ice (well not often) no freezing temps.

The downside.... ALLERGIES!!

brenth

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Santa Monica
I've yet to experance a dallas summer, but I can't imagine that it is any worse than a orlando summer, But the weather since sept ( when I moved here) has been steller, I have to say. We even got a day of snow this year.

I honestly haven't gotten to ride much at all or even meet up with anybody and get involved in the local "scene" ( too much work), but the few times I have riden have been very fun.