Quantcast

Damage control help needed

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I got a nasty gouge in the left side of the top tube on my Dawg the other day. What is the best way to fix this? This may sound silly, but does Kona make "touch up paint" or should I go to my local auto parts store and find something as close in color as possible. The scratches are pretty deep.

Also, along the same lines (and due to the same crash) I put a couple dings/burrs in one of the stantions (sp?) of my 'zocchi, along with blowing a seal. (Grrr!!) Will these affect it's future performance? Can the be filed down or will my LBS have a particular was of dealing with these? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
If it were my bike I'd be hittin' it with some primer and call it good. But then again, I dont care what my ride looks like... I bet you can match the color at just about any paint store... hell Im sure you can even find some auto touch up paint that would match pretty good.

As for the stanchons... if the burrs and dings are bad enough that you think they are going to hurt the seals then you can file them down and then buff them out... just be very careful only to hit the area where the ding is and don't further scratch the stanchon.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
you can get a little bottle of testors model paint since its acrylic and use that. they have lots of colors and its only like .99 a bottle. Primer under it and paint it. I do it on my two bikes only because they are steel and i don't want any rust to start.