Quantcast

dammit, can i blame this on someone else?

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
ya, i'll blame it on whoever showed me chainlove. i've bought two pairs of shorts in the last two days.
they were 90% off! it's not my fault i can't resist a deal.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i bought a second pair of goggles and those nema shorts...plus the ski goggles i just bought.

waiting for a halfway decent jacket to show up...

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
got a pair of jett gears and some sonbrios, 30 and 10 bucks, respectively. i need to lock up my debit card.
dammit i have the number memorized.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
wtf, chainlove is BLOWING out stuff. They just put up some Royal gloves for $1.99 (95% off) on 5 min deal and they sold out in 30 secs.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
they had a 400 dollar jacket on SaC earlier that got converted 96% off to 40 dollars. They sold all of them in less than a minute.

There was also a set of ski boots on tramshock that dropped 99% from like 570 to 29$. I couldn't even reload the website to see them before they were gone.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Time value of money. You can buy what you want on chainlove now, then spend the rest of your money on hookers and blow for a month. As long as you pay off your credit card at the end of the month, say, by selling a kidney, everyone wins.

Can't do that with a debit card.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
Time value of money. You can buy what you want on now, then spend the rest of your money on hookers and blow for a month. As long as you pay off your credit card at the end of the month, say, by selling a kidney, everyone wins.

Can't do that with a debit card.
Well, maybe it's just me, but I'd just as soon pay right now and be done with it. But that might be because I'm pulling in $57 an hour. Luckily for me, money is not an issue.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I think you pegged the 'tard meter. Free how? With a debit card, you pay right now with no interest. With a credit card, you pay within 30 days with no interest. NO DIFFERENCE. You sure didn't get anything for free by waiting 3 weeks to pay for your goods.
So... at what time period WOULD you take free money? If the credit card company gave you a 5 year grace period would you take it? :clue:

rockarollah

Chimp
Feb 11, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Credit card = points
Debit card = way fewer points...

No-brainer? Gets me a free flight every few years...

You could always pay off your credit card the next day or later that week as a precaution. I have a credit card from the same institution as my checking acc't, so the balance shows up on my online bank screen. Checking acc't balance - credit card balance = what's left. Easy enough, even for a non-financial-accounting engineer...

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
So... at what time period WOULD you take free money? If the credit card company gave you a 5 year grace period would you take it? :clue:
Not unless I needed cash on hand or it was a large (>$2K) purchase. I just prefer to pay now and be done with it. No need to think about it any more if it's paid.

There's this guy at the bus station, tho, that is offering me free money.. Not sure what's up with that...

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
You're either dumber than a rock or you're being disingenuous. ;)
With a large purchase, I can put the money in a CD or money market account where it will work for me over the 5 years you quoted. For a $50 tire, it makes no difference if I pay now with a debit card or in 5 years with a credit card. You're fooling yourself if you think you're getting something for free by charging a purchase and paying a few weeks later. Your money earned nothing for you in those 3 weeks, except maybe feeding your delusion that you have $75 in your checking account rather than $25.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
With a large purchase, I can put the money in a CD or money market account where it will work for me over the 5 years you quoted. For a $50 tire, it makes no difference if I pay now with a debit card or in 5 years with a credit card. You're fooling yourself if you think you're getting something for free by charging a purchase and paying a few weeks later. Your money earned nothing for you in those 3 weeks, except maybe feeding your delusion that you have $75 in your checking account rather than $25.
Ok.

Dumber than a rock, then.

;)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
SS.... I will agree about using a regular Credit card... But for absolutely different reason

Free money on a credit card? No, you have to pay it back. Whats the point of extending it if you already have the cash now? It isnt free, if you forget to pay, or your payment shows up late its now then costing more. Obviously if your card has points, then it can add up over time, but really for 40 bucks on the cc, your not making much.

Here is my reason to use a regular CC for purchases..... Its easier to get your money back should something go wrong.... IE like me ordering a shock from MArzocchi, which later they even told me they were defective out of the box, yet there was nothing they could do.......Well My CC company sure was able to do something.

I think over the last year I moved probably 3K across my CC that gets me 2% cash back, and I gotta say, while paying it off in full at the end of the month, I have ogtten one hell of alot less than 2% back, yet when they do the math it adds up to what it should be. CC companies are alot sneakier than anyone will ever belive, use a CC and pay it to build credit... good.... use it to protect your purchase..... good... use it in an emergency when you are short on cash....Good.... Use it ecause you think that by using it and paying it off at the end of the month gets you free money.... Retarded