Quantcast

Dammit dammit dammit

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I washed and dried my cell phone a few weeks ago. I let it dry for a day and it's been working fine ever since. LG 3100? flip phone if anyone is curious.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
if you can crack it open and dry it in front of a fan it will probabally work again. Most modern electronic components are hermetically sealed and can withstand a bath unless they are powered when submerged, that can cause shorts and other bad things that destroy components. Don't try to dry it with a blow dryer or anything that is hot because it will promote corrosion and that's the last thing you want.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
my friend put his iPod in a cupholder full of water in his car by accident. 3 hrs in there. it worked fine until he plugged it in to charge it, at which point it got so hot it burnt his hand and then would not turn on.

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
I bought some army pants from an army surplus store back in the day. Took em home and washed them, and while putting the wash in the dryer i found a bullet. This was no ordinary bullet, (I dont know my guns, but..) It was about 12-14 mm at the base and about 4.5" long with a 2 step tapper on the pointy end... it was pretty nuts. Im glad it didnt go through the dryer.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Seems like a lot of us have done similar things. I was out hiking a couple years ago and stopped by stream to rest. I put my Canon G1 on a rock next to me. After hanging out for a good 1/2 hours, I looked over and saw that the camera has slide off the rock and was resting comfortably in the stream, half submurged. I didn't try turning it on, and when I got home I took out the battery and CF card and let it dry out. Still works great today.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
Seems like a lot of us have done similar things. I was out hiking a couple years ago and stopped by stream to rest. I put my Canon G1 on a rock next to me. After hanging out for a good 1/2 hours, I looked over and saw that the camera has slide off the rock and was resting comfortably in the stream, half submurged. I didn't try turning it on, and when I got home I took out the battery and CF card and let it dry out. Still works great today.
My littlest kid puked on my wife's new D70. :eek:

-S.S.-

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
um, i could probaly fix it for you....
what kind is it and whats the model?

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
johnbryanpeters said:
Wet electronics:

1) Remove batteries - quickly!
2) Rinse well in distilled water.
3) Air dry for a long time - oven on its lowest warm setting OK.

Replace batteries, turn on, and pray fervently.
I could have known this 2 years ago when my friend dropped the video camera in my stream. Oh well, I have a better one now.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
dude, dont do anything to it.. put it in a warm dry place and let it sit for a few days... everything electric that has gotten wet and ruined has always gotten better after a few days.. let it be

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I had a 5 day old cell phone end up in a pool in Vegas, I dried it with the hand dryer in the mens room. But the cell didnt work, so I called & signed up for the warranty program but then a few days later it did work, then 2 weeks later it didnt

my wallet has been washed several times :D