Quantcast

dammit i am gonna withdraw from society and become a bum

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well i am going to have to quit my job. they have been cutting back hours even though we have been making a profit for 3 of the 5 months we have been open. i have gone from full time to 2 days a week. i have given this company every ounce of commitment and strength. i have put up with not enough resources to get the job done, late paychecks (sometimes by a month!!!!)and hours getting cut back.

i dont know what the hell i am gonna do now. it seems like every time i invest all my time and energy and will into a company something like this happens so i think i am just gonna stop investing time and energy into any job at all.

rant over.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
stick it out, the tourist season is about to hit full swing.
i think i am just tremendously hurt by the whole situation.i would love to stick it out but 2 days isnt even enough to pay half of my half of the rent. I have looked at part time gigs but i think the best option is to find new full time employment or no employment at all.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
i think i am just tremendously hurt by the whole situation.i would love to stick it out but 2 days isnt even enough to pay half of my half of the rent. I have looked at part time gigs but i think the best option is to find new full time employment or no employment at all.
Are they giving the time to other people? Or are they just short on Customers? Have you told them whats up? Maybe there are some part time stuff else where on the property?

That job is too sweet to give up.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Are they giving the time to other people? Or are they just short on Customers? Have you told them whats up? Maybe there are some part time stuff else where on the property?

That job is too sweet to give up.
the problem with that is i dont really work for Biltmore ya know? i have sent an e-mail to the head honcho asking if there is anything i can apply my time to earlier this morning.

i am just at my whits end. 2 of the guys (there are 3) that run the company have no business even trying to run a company. that is what gets me so bad.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Dude....that just ain't right. Is there no good kharma left in the world?

You finally found what you were meant to do, and then it gets yanked out from underneath you. That f*cking sucks, biggie. If I had the $$, I would give it to you to start your own guide service. Let me know if there's anything I can do, man.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
why not start your own guide thing? since you say the other dudes who run the setup dont know what theyre doing, why not tell them to screw and go on your own and do it your way?

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I think the answer is obvious.

You know what to do..............

I won't even say it.
hahaha - I knew you would say AZ. :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
luken8r said:
why not start your own guide thing? since you say the other dudes who run the setup dont know what theyre doing, why not tell them to screw and go on your own and do it your way?
That's what I was thinking. If you found something you really like and are willing to put the time and energy into it, you can probably make it work yourself. If it flies, you'll never have to deal with asshats that don't recognize your talents again.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well, its not that 2 of the guys that are running the company dont know what they are doing, its just that they need to prioritize better. one of them is our director of operations but he is guiding 5-6 days a week so he does not really have the time to put into the actual director position the other i think always has his mind elsewhere so he does not get things done in a timely fashion. the actual company owner however is friggin awesome. he is more on top of his game than most business owners i have worked for.

as for hangin in there, i am doing my best.

Rob, as for customers we have been getting enough to cover payroll with a small profit margin on top of that. understandably they would rather make more money so the obvious thing to do is cut hours back. it just annoys me because most businesses dont make money in the first year at all and we have been busting our hump to make it work and it has shown operation in the black for 3 of the 5 months we have been here.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Companies are interested in making money, not giving you money. Find a way to convince them that giving you full time work will bring in more money for them, or increase their future earning potential.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Westy said:
Companies are interested in making money, not giving you money. Find a way to convince them that giving you full time work will bring in more money for them, or increase their future earning potential.
i have already begun this process. that is my thought as well. i mean i have people that are already booking full day trips in October that requesting me as their guide. i have also taken the initiative to begin designing ads for the company as well as getting press packets from magazines for advertising purposes. what more can i do? i think that is going above the scope of my position as guide/instructor. i just dont see any of those guys doing it themselves.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Start you own guide service. Also offer to sub-contract for your old employer when they are over-booked. My friend runs a charter service out of MA like this and it works out great.

Starting my own company was the best thing I've ever done. Working for yourself is the only way to guarantee that your needs are taken care of.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dan-o said:
Start you own guide service. Also offer to sub-contract for your old employer when they are over-booked. My friend runs a charter service out of MA like this and it works out great.

Starting my own company was the best thing I've ever done. Working for yourself is the only way to guarantee that your needs are taken care of.

what kind of company do you own?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
construction: carpentry, painting etc.
My crew does the labor, I land the business and handle all logistics (materials, scheduling etc).

My charter boat friend takes overflow clients from another company as needed (striper, tuna etc) and contracted with a few summer camps to take kids out several days a week. He also sources his own customers to round out the schedule.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Westy said:

biggins said:
i have already begun this process. that is my thought as well. i mean i have people that are already booking full day trips in October that requesting me as their guide. i have also taken the initiative to begin designing ads for the company as well as getting press packets from magazines for advertising purposes. what more can i do? i think that is going above the scope of my position as guide/instructor. i just dont see any of those guys doing it themselves.
that is good that you are taking the initiative but...

What you are doing above is basically spending money, not generating revenue (directly anyway). Maybe suggest that if they put you back on full time you will try something that will directly result in revenue. For example, standing in the main area of the Biltmore actively giving sales pitches to guests, or something along those lines. You want to come back and say, while I was out (not guiding) I booked x,y & z clients.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
biggins said:
well, its not that 2 of the guys that are running the company dont know what they are doing, its just that they need to prioritize better. one of them is our director of operations but he is guiding 5-6 days a week so he does not really have the time to put into the actual director position the other i think always has his mind elsewhere so he does not get things done in a timely fashion. the actual company owner however is friggin awesome. he is more on top of his game than most business owners i have worked for.
The Director of Ops needs to stop doing your job and start doing his own.

If you can't get the result you want from those two guys, maybe you should talk to the owner and see what he thinks. Yeah you risk pissing off those other guys by going over their head, but the alternative is quitting a job you seem to like.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
OGRipper said:
If you can't get the result you want from those two guys, maybe you should talk to the owner and see what he thinks. Yeah you risk pissing off those other guys by going over their head, but the alternative is quitting a job you seem to like.
You should only do this as an absolute last resort, and after you have explored all other options.

My old boss referred to this kind of action as a CLM - career limiting move. Your boss and the director of ops (are they one and the same?) will likely hate you for it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yes i did it. i have made my resignation for Oct. 10. i will be in an on call position (to retain pro deals and make a lil extra money)and have a very good job prospect as of current.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
flagstaff is like xanadu, valhalla, and atlantis all wrapped into one.

a magical, mystical place.

never to be contaminated by the presence of biggins. :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
narlus said:
flagstaff is like xanadu, valhalla, and atlantis all wrapped into one.

a magical, mystical place.

never to be contaminated by the presence of biggins. :D
flag could only be enlightened by my presence.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
yes i did it. i have made my resignation for Oct. 10. i will be in an on call position (to retain pro deals and make a lil extra money)and have a very good job prospect as of current.

Any news?