Quantcast

Damn auto synch!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Just plugged my iPod into my work computer for the first time. Wanted to put the song of the day on it for the ride home. It told me it was updating, showed the Podcasts updating too.

Now, it has wiped my iPod clean except for a half dozen songs that were on my work computer. Shizzle.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Da Peach said:
Because it's an Apple product, so it clearly must not be a serious flaw in the design :rolleyes:

Apparently nobody thought it was worthwhile to do a quick error check/confirmation when a synch is going to result in the deletion of a huge number of songs? Something like, "Hi, we are synching your iPod but the operation is going to delete 3,261 songs. Do you want to continue?"

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
stinkyboy said:
Did you not get a dialog box warning you?
It asked me if I wanted to register my iPod now, or later. I said later. It then proceeded.

An "Are you sure?" would have been nice.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I realise it is a simple setting to adjust within iTunes, but I hadn't fiddled with it, and therefore got screwed. Just to used to managing my music at home where everything is set up nicely.

IMO, the default should be to manually update, not the mega dump that it does out of the box.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
stinkyboy said:
Did you not get a dialog box warning you?
I'm almost postive I've run into this before and it definitely warns or asks you that it's going sync w/the local iTunes music DB.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
dfinn said:
I'm almost postive I've run into this before and it definitely warns or asks you that it's going sync w/the local iTunes music DB.
I see it everyday when I plug my Nano into my machine at work. There is a selection that you can click "to not be warned again". After that, you're on your own.

User error.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It pissed me off the first time it happened... then I adjusted the settings and moved on with life.

I mean what's the big loss actually? When you get home you plug it in to your home comp for 5 minutes and life is good again right?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Echo said:
It pissed me off the first time it happened... then I adjusted the settings and moved on with life.

I mean what's the big loss actually? When you get home you plug it in to your home comp for 5 minutes and life is good again right?
WRONG. Apple sucks! Get the memo.