Quantcast

Damn breaks in LA...evacuations

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Heads up LA Monkeys who live along the Santa Anna River!

e0875b6bwa00000
u n Urgent-NWS_SGX-DAM_BREAK 01/14 234
DAM BREAK FLOOD WATCH FOR PRADO DAM BREAK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA
725 AM PST FRI JAN 14 2005

...DAM BREAK FLOOD WATCH FOR PRADO DAM BREAK
IN EFFECT UNTIL 630 PM PST FRIDAY
FOR ORANGE COUNTY COASTAL AREAS-
RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN DIEGO HAS ISSUED A FLASH FLOOD
WATCH FOR AREAS ALONG THE SANTA ANA RIVER BELOW THE PRADO DAM IN
WESTERN RIVERSIDE COUNTY TO THE RIVER MOUTH IN ORANGE COUNTY.

A LEAK HAS DEVELOPED IN THE PRADO DAM.

THE SIZE OF THE LEAK HAS INCREASED OVERNIGHT BUT AN IMMINENT
FAILURE OF THE DAM IS NOT ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME.

THE ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS IS ASSESSING THE STABILITY OF THE DAM
AT THIS TIME AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL BE AVAILABLE LATER
THIS MORNING.

IN THE INTERIM THE RESERVOIR IS BEING EMPTIED AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.

ALSO...PRECAUTIONARY EVACUATIONS HAVE BEEN ORDERED JUST BELOW THE
DAM BY THE CITY OF CORONA...AND IN FEATHERLY PARK IN ORANGE COUNTY

OTHER EVACUATIONS HAVE NOT YET BEEN ORDERED. AN INFORMATION HOTLINE
NUMBER FOR RIVERSIDE COUNTY IS...AREA CODE 9 5 1...8 1 7 5 8 5 2.

ALL RESIDENTS AND PROPERTY OWNERS NEAR OR ALONG THE SANTA ANA RIVER
BETWEEN THE COAST AND PRADO DAM SHOULD MONITOR LOCAL MEDIA TO STAY
ABREAST OF LATEST STATEMENTS...EVACUATION ORDERS...OR WARNINGS.

AN UPDATE TO THIS FLASH FLOOD WATCH WILL BE ISSUED AROUND 11 AM OR
SOONER.

$$

BALFOUR

EDIS-01-14-05 0738 PST

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
sh!te! that's a project that I have worked on about 5 years ago with the army corps of engineers! we (my company, an environmental co) were doing the biological and social impacts of raising the dam from a spillway level of 550 feet above sea level to 580 feet. guess they did it wrong!

oh- the base of the dam is 508 feet, so thats a sh!te load of water.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
I Are Baboon said:
N8, did you even read the newsflash? The dam (not "damn") did not break. It sprung a leak.
yebbut, they're REALLY worried about it. ACOE says "its not going to break, but evacuating would be a good idea" forking govt.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
slowSSer said:
yebbut, they're REALLY worried about it. ACOE says "its not going to break, but evacuating would be a good idea" forking govt.
But the warning says "Imminent failure is not anticipated at this time." In any case, I would not hang around. I saw those Johnstown films when I was in school. :dead:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break,
When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay.

Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,
Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home,
Oh, well, oh, well, oh, well.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break,
When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay.

Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,
Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home,
Oh, well, oh, well, oh, well.
Drove my Chevy to the Levee.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
I Are Baboon said:
But the warning says "Imminent failure is not anticipated at this time." In any case, I would not hang around. I saw those Johnstown films when I was in school. :dead:
I drive by the outflow (santa ana river) daily and its actually been a river for about the past two weeks. i definitely wouldnt hang around, but its only a big deal to those in the immediate floodplain- those in LA or Orange county souldnt need to worry- the "rivers" around here are so channelized (lined with concrete) that its not a biggie.

should be interesting if it does decide to go...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
slowSSer said:
I drive by the outflow (santa ana river) daily and its actually been a river for about the past two weeks. i definitely wouldnt hang around, but its only a big deal to those in the immediate floodplain- those in LA or Orange county souldnt need to worry- the "rivers" around here are so channelized (lined with concrete) that its not a biggie.

should be interesting if it does decide to go...
is there an Orange County in every state?

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
spookydave said:
If that dam does break I might loose my house. Shop will get hit for sure.
I can plainly see the form I filled out declining flood insurance too.
sorry to hear it. where's the house? anaheim hills?
anti-dam-break thoughts going out to spookydave.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
spookydave said:
D'oh...

I wouldn't worry too much, according to the Army Corps guys it’s not even leaking… there are just a prescribed “release” of fluid…

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6826151/
Backed-up dam forces So. Cal. evacuations

Updated: 2:28 p.m. ET Jan. 14, 2005CORONA, Calif. - Rainwater building up behind a dam in Riverside County prompted authorities to order more than 800 homes evacuated as a precaution early Friday.

Officers were evacuating about 330 mobile homes and 500 other homes east of the dam, Police Sgt. Jerry Rodriguez said. The area is about 50 miles east-southeast of downtown Los Angeles.

NBC News reported that the situation was related to ongoing construction on the dam to improve its flood-control capabilities.

California's top dam safety official with the Department of Water Resources told the network that a temporary coffer dam had been built to hold back water and allow construction work on the dam itself.

When the recent rains overflowed the coffer dam, the official said, the work area behind the dam was flooded. Local emergency management officials decided to err on the side of caution and ordered an evacuation. State officials told NBC that the Corps of Engineers did not consider the dam to be in any danger of failing.

“We’re releasing water,” Fred-Otto Egeler, spokesman for the Los Angeles district of the Corps of Engineers, told The Associated Press. “It’s being retained behind the dam and we’re making normal releases at this moment.”

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
spookydave said:
Aw man. Shoot. Me too: "anti-dam-break thoughts going out to spookydave."

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
dh girlie said:
I went to Hoover Dam last year...I never thought something could be so freakin interesting. What a trip...it was amazing. Dam's are somethin else...
prado isnt as exciting- most of the dam is just a giant pile of dirt...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
You responded to a thread having only read the title? You deserve five :nuts: for that, and posting privileges should be suspended for a week.
It happens more then I would like to admit. But seriously who ever read's N8's threads anyway?

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
dh girlie said:
Right...I was merely pointing out that dams in theirowndamselves are pretty interesting...but that Hoover Dam was exceptionally amazing... :p
the hoover dam is awesome. if in vegas, take the time to go see it, especially if you dig things like modern marvels on TV.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
slowSSer said:
the hoover dam is awesome. if in vegas, take the time to go see it, especially if you dig things like modern marvels on TV.
I second this...two Vegas trips ago we rented a car and went to Hoover Dam...it was incredible...you just do not grasp the hugeness of it until you're actually there...lots of interesting info on the DAM tour, too!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
Right...I was merely pointing out that dams in theirowndamselves are pretty interesting...but that Hoover Dam was exceptionally amazing... :p
Do you like beavers?? I like beavers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
:nope: I like the kind that build dams...I have too much love for the ween to like the other kind!
Of course I was asking about the dam building ones. ;)

But I am fond of both types.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
slowSSer said:
sorry to hear it. where's the house? anaheim hills?
anti-dam-break thoughts going out to spookydave.
yeah right, I wish I was in the hills. lol It's nice a flat where I'm at. It would be hard to imagin my house ever flooding but they say I am in a flood plain. The shop is over by the 91 / 57 interchange.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
This is what the Hoover Dam looks like from the Colorado River. They have it marked off so you don't get to close but you can't see anything. So....... ya take a quick peek for the man and when it's clear ya jam around the corner to check it out. Every time I see it I'm in total aw.
Fockin water is in the 40's right there I bet.