Quantcast

Damn, Colorado peeps…keep ‘em safe

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My 80lb dog gets fucked up by house cats. I'm sure he'd be fine against a mountain kitty, or maybe not.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You live in the mountains. Where mountain lions are known to live. You not only live in a region where mountain lions are known to live, you live deep in that region.

Even in @Nick's area, you need to be mindful of cats, and he's in a city. @SkaredShtles and I are both on open space and have the same issues. @Pesqueeb is close enough to the mountains that he needs to be mindful (but less so) in his area. @6thElement has the same risk factor as those people. And @Toshi? I think they have prairie dogs out there.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Be advised - you could end up on the wrong side of the law if you resort to shooting a lion to protect a pet...
the lady in the opening paragraphs was worried about her kid....her genetic abomination horse and kids pony....and her dog....

if she leads with the kid she wont have a problem....unless they expect you to get in a tickle fight with a lion if it gets a hold of your kid....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
you live in the mountains....you should expect these things....
Doesn't even have to be the mountains. The town I grew up in (outskirts of Toronto) had a yearly thing where a black bear would come into town and wander around. People would wonder why.... the town had slowly been expanded out into farm fields, until it reached the forests, ya know, where the bears live. :rofl:

Coyotes are seen as a "problem" here as well. But come on really, we are building out into their roaming territory, we even have huge urban parks where they live. And where people walk their squirrel sized dogs off leash...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
the lady in the opening paragraphs was worried about her kid....her genetic abomination horse and kids pony....and her dog....

if she leads with the kid she wont have a problem....unless they expect you to get in a tickle fight with a lion if it gets a hold of your kid....
Yeah - nobody is going to get a hassle if you're protecting your kid... but if you shoot a lion 'cause it's munching your off-leash dog, you might run afoul of the law. Not saying that they *will* prosecute, but they can.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
You live in the mountains. Where mountain lions are known to live. You not only live in a region where mountain lions are known to live, you live deep in that region.

Even in @Nick's area, you need to be mindful of cats, and he's in a city. @SkaredShtles and I are both on open space and have the same issues. @Pesqueeb is close enough to the mountains that he needs to be mindful (but less so) in his area. @6thElement has the same risk factor as those people. And @Toshi? I think they have prairie dogs out there.
Yep. Ours are mostly coyotes, but occasionally someone will get a cam-shot of a lion down here in the 'burbs.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, teh big kitties are a thing around here. That's Nederland. A dude/jogger got attacked up here in Fort Collins. Lived. It was a cub. Many different ideas on what to do if you encounter one. Like the gun thing. Bear spray thing. Will a knife even work? Depends on who you ask. The lady is lucky they didn't snatch her kid. They are that nasty.

Interesting that they are saying you can't kill one for attacking your dog. My dog is part of my family. The kitty is not. But that's probably not law :)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

What am I, chopped liver?

Deer and bear in town here, mostly. Bear are occasional, the only thing that outnumbers the deer are the Sprinter-like vans. They're like rats. I pick up more deer shit in our yard than dog shit, and we own dogs.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
They're not, really. Humans (outside of weird circumstances) are not on the menu.

"A total of 126 attacks, 27 of which were fatal,[1] have been documented in North America in the past 100 years."
You heard about those Park Rangers in Utah, right? And to have a guy trail running where I always ride get attacked? Now this up in Ned? Sure, wiki leaks can say it's rare, but I'm not taking any chances.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
You heard about those Park Rangers in Utah, right? And to have a guy trail running where I always ride get attacked? Now this up in Ned? Sure, wiki leaks can say it's rare, but I'm not taking any chances.
That's fine... you're more than welcome to your paranoia. ;)

That doesn't change the fact that lions are not out to eat you or your kids. They want your dog.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
when we first moved to breckenridge,colorado...we were told not to bring our coonhound or the sled dogs would tear it apart if they got ahold of it...

kitties were secondary....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I personally have seen Bear, Coyote, and Mt Lion in my hood, all down in the creek where I walk the dogs. I watched DOW chase a Bear over the fence at the airport. All that to say that the east side of town is hardly without it's potential suburban/wildlife conflict. Though, the east side has also expanded enough in the last decade that I've seen none of the above for a number of years.
The climb up Palmer Trail was notorious 10 or 15 years ago for a Mt Lion that would stalk single riders/hikers. I avoided it for a long time. That one got darted and moved if memory serves, but I did carry bear spray for a while afterwards if I rode it solo.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yep. Ours are mostly coyotes, but occasionally someone will get a cam-shot of a lion down here in the 'burbs.
We have a fox den somewhere within a mile, as there are two foxes seen weekly on our street and in our backyard. Coyotes are almost daily. Hawks and eagles are the same.

Wifey really wants a cat, but with the dog door, we'd just be feeding the animals. And there is no way we could get a dog smaller than 50#, because they need to be too big for the coyotes. I live in the suburbs and know this. Mountains? You don't get to have off leash pets.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What am I, chopped liver?

Deer and bear in town here, mostly. Bear are occasional, the only thing that outnumbers the deer are the Sprinter-like vans. They're like rats. I pick up more deer shit in our yard than dog shit, and we own dogs.
We're talking Front Range. You basically live in the mountains and have bear cans of public trash cans. I think that's pretty much assumed.

We have a fox den somewhere within a mile, as there are two foxes seen weekly on our street and in our backyard. Coyotes are almost daily. Hawks and eagles are the same.

Wifey really wants a cat, but with the dog door, we'd just be feeding the animals. And there is no way we could get a dog smaller than 50#, because they need to be too big for the coyotes. I live in the suburbs and know this. Mountains? You don't get to have off leash pets.
Here: Foxes, coyotes, black bears, bobcats, fisher cats, about every variety of weasel...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

do not leave out birds of prey

a friends boston terrier was dive bombed by a havk in the ranch while it was out in the backyard with the bulldog and her pug...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
do not leave out birds of prey

a friends boston terrier was dive bombed by a havk in the ranch while it was out in the backyard with the bulldog and her pug...

When I lived on the boat neighbor had a chihuahua they left outside that would bark all fucking day. I pointed the noisy fucker out the the scores of bald eagles in the area but they preferred to stick to fish.