Quantcast

Damn, Colorado peeps…keep ‘em safe

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
do not leave out birds of prey

a friends boston terrier was dive bombed by a havk in the ranch while it was out in the backyard with the bulldog and her pug...
There are a few folks around here that have wire spike vests for their little dogs to go outside off leash. They seem to work pretty well.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I love it when people are scared of coyotes. I lost a rat terrier to those mangy dogs once though. We lived out in the sticks and that rat terrier refused to eat dog food. She lived on fresh meat. All the coyotes hated her because she was always in the hunting grounds getting the game. They spent a couple years trying to get her. I saw her in a coyote mouth more than once. Eventually they caught her because her winter sweater got hung up on some underbrush. They ate a ground squirrel out of her belly.

Maggie was a vicious little beast until the coyotes took her out.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I had a dog with a spike collar and it saved him from a few other dogs and possibly a coyote. I moved to the country outside bend Oregon and the other day I saw three coyotes attacking a deer at a distance but not any other predator mammals. Just some fox prints.

Now San Diego is another matter, I lived out East near the edge of civilization. So many coyotes and bold ones too. Taking my chickens all the time. Chased em out of yard a bunch too. Almost kicked one but I was barefoot, so I yelled in its face as it was about to grab the chicken that ran in between my feet. Also people keep seeing lion tracks, and I’ve heard there are more than 60 cats in the county. One of the attacks was on an 8 year old boy at paso picacho campground in San Diego. The boy lived thanks to family with rocks.

I figure a knife will at least mark the cat so it can be hunted later. I don’t think I could kill one with a knife unless one of us doesn’t let go. I’ve heard to put eyes on the back of your helmet if you might ride.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Healthy population of urban coyotes in my neighborhood that keeps the rat and outdoor cat populations in check.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Have a pretty bold young coyote (probably 40lbs or so) in our neighborhood and that asshole shat on my front walkway, and I still had a rat get into the garage. Think it's time to post up on the roof with the .300 win-mag and take care of that non rat eating porch pooping mcmotherfucker.

As for mountain lions in Co, the one killing the dogs is probably going to get whacked soon and that's a good thing IMHO. Sure "It WaS tHeIr HoMe FiRsT" but that ship sailed about 250 years ago, properly managing them now is the vastly preferable option to species wide extermination, which is where the road always leads once enough people get angry enough. Never saw a Lion at my in-laws place in Bailey Co, but saw plenty of tracks, and my FIL has seen them around enough that nobody wondered their property without a stabbing implement.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
As for mountain lions in Co, the one killing the dogs is probably going to get whacked soon and that's a good thing IMHO. Sure "It WaS tHeIr HoMe FiRsT" but that ship sailed about 250 years ago, properly managing them now is the vastly preferable option to species wide extermination
I believe that a dog owner whacked that cat. And IIRC, the wildlife folks opted not to charge the owner.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@6thElement .. didn't we see a small lion the last time we shuttled, with Elroy? I remember a kitty darting out onto the road, then disappearing quickly.
I've never seen a mountain lion, bob cats a couple few times. I don't recall anything when we rode warren gulch with @SkaredShtles Elroy and S, is that when you mean?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
That is why no cats should be allowed in the dog thread. They are assholes.

Encountered a large cat on porc rim. Stared at me for a while from 20ft. Wanted to take a pic but was too busy holding my shits in.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
do not leave out birds of prey

a friends boston terrier was dive bombed by a havk in the ranch while it was out in the backyard with the bulldog and her pug...
A friend had the insides of a pregnant dog dropped in the middle of his yard and I don't think our birds of prey are quite as large as the American ones.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And if you can own a pit bull or german shepherd i should damn well be able to own a cougar. Its in the constitution.