Quantcast

Damn Dams!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Thousands evacuated as dam threatens to burst in Massachusetts
Oct 18 2:25 PM US/Eastern

Police evacuated several thousand people from the Massachusetts city of Taunton as a dam threatened to burst and send a 10-foot (three-meter) surge through the downtown area.

Officials said heavy rainfall over the past week had placed enormous pressure on the wooden Whittendon Pond Dam which controls water flow along the Mill River that passes through Taunton.

If the dam was to fail, officials said a second dam further upstream would also likely collapse, emptying two lakes at the same time.

"If the dams go, they're expecting a 10-foot surge," said Taunton Police Department spokesman Eric Nichols.

"So anybody along that Mill River watershed area and anybody downtown has been evacuated," said Nichols, who put the number of displaced people at 5,000 people.

Taunton, which lies just south of Boston, has a population of close to 50,000 people.

All businesses, schools and government offices, including the court and city hall were closed.

In an effort to control the situation, engineers were carefully releasing water through both dams.

Peter Judge, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency, said it could be some time before the evacuees could return home.

"It could go on for days," Judge said of the efforts to relieve the pressure on the dam.

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
narlus said:
no way in hell taunton has 50K people...
Data from 2000 says 54K. Wouldn't it be a drag if some of the folks who came up from N.O ended up getting washed out by this one too?A lot of the damage out in the western part of the state was from collapsing beaver dams.

The Cheese

splat

Nam I am
Well This is the creek in My Back yard, 10 days ago It was Bone dry.

thius is actually on the back corner of my lot. that water is 3 feet deep there.

after about 20 yards , it becomes the Boundry between me and my Neighbor, and emties into a 52 Inch culvert,

here you can see only about 18 inches of the culvert are visible. and again this was Bone Dry not 2 weeks ago.

Those were taken on Sunday the water level has since dropped to about 6 inches

Here are some other pics from Busted spoke and the blackstone river over by Plumbers crack
http://bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=16976

and as for Taunton , Its not that bad Brockten or Lynn on the other hand.

I knew a chick from Taunton , what a set of Knobs she had :devil: