Quantcast

Damn... F-18 afterburners are LOUD!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N8 said:
I am watching the Blue Angles practice for their show here this weekend and those lil' sucka's are LOUD!!!
I stood on the flight deck of the US Hornet during fleet week a few years back watching them practice over SF bay.

By special request, they buzzed the the ship by maybe a hundred feet or less above our heads.

Very

Very

Loud.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I Are Baboon said:
I looked up at the Sun today, and holy cow was it BRIGHT!
Woah.

Dude, it rained last week, and everything got WET!

All over the place, like everything outside!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
When I was living in San Diego we would get the planes from Miramar flying by. Damn cool. My best ever experience seeing a military jet was at the Colorado River. The pilots were following the river and flying fairly low. As they came upon us one of them turned upside down. As they flew over we looked up and you could see the pilot! It was freaking great!

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
H8R said:
I stood on the flight deck of the US Hornet during fleet week a few years back watching them practice over SF bay.

By special request, they buzzed the the ship by maybe a hundred feet or less above our heads.

Very

Very

Loud.
hey, it's USS...for United States Ship

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Ciaran said:
When I was living in San Diego we would get the planes from Miramar flying by. Damn cool. My best ever experience seeing a military jet was at the Colorado River. The pilots were following the river and flying fairly low. As they came upon us one of them turned upside down. As they flew over we looked up and you could see the pilot! It was freaking great!

They used to do sub-radar practice runs skimming the New River when I was in college. The never did any barrel rolls for me, but I got the $hit scared out of me once while flyfishing for smallmouth bass wading in the middle of the New River near Parrot, VA. The approached from downstream direction while I was casting and I didn't even hear them until they screeched by above my head at a very low altitude. :eek:

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
H8R said:

Very

Very

Loud.
I was in SF for fleet week several years ago and it is one of the coolest displays of military power I've seen. There is nothing quite like watching a stealth bomber fly along about 30 ft above the bay.

J

JRB

F-15s rock way louder. When they fueled at RAFB, all of the car alarms around would go off.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
My friend's dad was apparently camping when a B-52 flew over at a pretty low altitude... He said he literally shat himself.

We had a B-2 fly nearby our house pretty low. Man, that thing is a work of art. Much respect for the engineers, even though I don't completely support what they're built for... I guess they have there place. At least they're on our side and not the other :D

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I was at the Columbia River Amphitheater waiting for the Dooby Bros to play when I noticed a blur just below the cliff line of the river. It was an F-14 Tomcat heading straight for us totally silent. At the last second he pulled up over the the cliff we were standing near and did a barrel roll over the crowd as the sound blasted as he passed. Way cool.