Quantcast

Damn Marzo.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
One of my friends has a 2007 888 ATA. He used it for about a year and a half before he needed a rebuild/new seals. He took it to the LBS (a certified Marzocchi dealer) and they said they had to send the fork into Marocchi because Marzocchi wouldn't sent them the parts. In the end he paid $300 for new seals and oil. WTF Marzocchi.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
1) He should be doing rebuilds much more often than once every year and a half.

2) I highly doubt the legitimacy of that story...there was probably a lot of stuff going wrong inside that fork to warrant sending it in at all, much less a $300 service charge.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Find a local shop that is a dealer? Those parts should be available in QBP... you just got ripped off.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
1) He should be doing rebuilds much more often than once every year and a half.

2) I highly doubt the legitimacy of that story...there was probably a lot of stuff going wrong inside that fork to warrant sending it in at all, much less a $300 service charge.
He got new seals every couple of months. For some reason this time Marzo wouldn't send the seals. Shipping was $50 each way, there was a $150 flat fee that Marzo charges and parts were $30 for a grand total of $280.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
And the problem with just ordering $24 (plus a whopping $6 for shipping) enduro seals would be?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
They were unavailable or something I guess. All I know is that it cost $280 for new seals because the LBS couldn't get ahold of them.
Marzocchi seals are available other places besides Marzocchi. If they can't just look in QBP or BTI for them as an alternative, something is up.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Which is what I asked the bikeshop at the beginning. Apparently the shop thought they wouldn't work. :shocked:
If your friend has the money to spend $300 on seals and oil, you might want to hit him up for some of that protective gear you need...

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
If your friend has the money to spend $300 on seals and oil, you might want to hit him up for some of that protective gear you need...
He's cheap. He had 2k saved up and he wouldn't buy an $800 frame because he wanted something cheaper. Lol. I actually have the gear all figured out. I'm just not sure what shin-guards I want yet.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yo Capone...... The shop ripped your friend off. The line of Marz not sending the seals is complete and total Bull**** for an 07 888. I know because I just ordered more thana few sets from them myself.

Fact number one....Tell your friend to change the oil more than every year and a half

Fact number two....You can deal direct with Marzocchi for services

Fact number three....Clearly your Local shop is missing one of two very important skillsets needed in this situation, Either the ability to work on a very easy to service fork, or the ability to tell there customer the truth about what is going on.

Fact number four... yes yoru friend cheap.

How do you figure. Marzocchi charges a $150 flat fee for any FR/DH fork that gets sent to them.
No way does Marz have a 150 dollar flat fee for fr/dh When most every Local shop out there deos your general service for 40-50 dollars plus parts needed.

So check it, Either..... the shop ripped your ass off, or the local shop did a Piss poor job of telling you why it had to be sent in in the first place, and also did a Piss poor job of explaining cost before sending it out.

Last edited:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
The scary thing is that I'm one of the sensible ones on PB. Here's a lot better. I'm not even sure why I made this thread. I should have known it was going to get torn apart.
Yes it's true, you are an idiot.

I called Marzocchi recently about getting a 2005 888RC rebuilt and they quoted me $150 for the fork rebuild (dis-assembly, etc., and it is a flat fee). Another $150 would be for labor and parts. $300 for a rebuild.
I popped new seals in and changed the oil for next to nothing.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Yes it's true, you are an idiot.

I called Marzocchi recently about getting a 2005 888RC rebuilt and they quoted me $150 for the fork rebuild (dis-assembly, etc., and it is a flat fee). Another $150 would be for labor and parts. $300 for a rebuild.
I popped new seals in and changed the oil for next to nothing.
Word I did the same thing before last season for the same price. Went through Wamsley's.