Damn... this hurricane is HUGE!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

Monster Storm Roars Toward Florida
Sep 2, 7:11 PM (ET)
By Jane Sutton

MIAMI (Reuters) - Some 2.5 million people were urged to leave their homes and Florida residents jammed the roads on Thursday as powerful hurricane Frances roared toward the crowded southeast U.S. coast with enough force to cause major harm.

Frances lashed the southeastern Bahamas with 140 mph winds on Thursday and was expected to slam into the capital Nassau on Friday. It threatens to deliver a huge blow to Florida by Saturday morning, just three weeks after Hurricane Charley hit the state's west coast.

A total of 2.5 million people were being told to evacuate barrier islands, low-lying coastal areas and mobile homes in the path of the storm, Craig Fugate, director of the state's Division of Emergency Management, told reporters.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimated 14.6 million Floridians live in the storm warning area.

Highway tolls were suspended and on the Beeline Expressway in central Florida, lanes were reversed to speed the long lines of traffic fleeing the coast. Traffic clogged major arteries in parts of the state.

"We really don't see anything to significantly weaken this hurricane," said U.S. Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield. "This is going to impact a lot of people."

Almost the entire east coast of Florida was under a hurricane warning, reviving memories of Hurricane Andrew, the most costly U.S. storm in history, which ravaged the Miami area in 1992.

Frances was a powerful Category 4 storm on the five-step scale of hurricane intensity, the same as Charley, which slammed into southwest Florida on Aug. 13. But Frances was twice as wide and capable of savaging a much broader area.

"You cannot hope this off, you cannot walk away. It is not time to hope, it is time to act," Fugate said.

Frances carried a potential storm surge of up to 14 feet above normal tides, and was expected to pour 10 to 20 inches of rain on Florida.

Schools, courts and offices closed along the Florida east coast. Residents rushed to secure their homes, snatching plywood, flashlights and bottled water off store shelves. Gas pumps ran dry and automatic teller machines ran out of cash.

CLOGGED ROADS

State officials said 8 hospitals and 19 nursing homes were being evacuated.

Florida Commissioner of Agriculture Charlie Bronson estimated that 5.7 million acres and 19,000 farms were in harm's way. Growers braced for yet another blow to the state's $9.1 billion citrus industry, which lost 20 percent of its crop when Charley felled trees and stripped them of fruit.

Florida's most populous areas were at risk, including Tampa and tourist center Orlando, home of Disney World . On the coast east of Orlando, the three space shuttles and other equipment were secured at the Kennedy Space Center.

Gov. Jeb Bush declared the state a disaster area on Wednesday to speed aid after the storm hits.

"I have no doubt that there will be tragedy associated with a storm like this, but I also have no doubt there will be miracles," said Dr. John Agwunobi, Florida's health secretary.

The two major arteries leading out of South Florida, Interstate 95 and the Florida Turnpike, were both clogged by midday on Thursday, with traffic shuffling along at 15 mph, or stopped altogether at times.

"There are more people on the road than we anticipated. People have started to evacuate without being told," said Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Kim Miller.

The hurricane skirted the tiny British colony of Turks and Caicos on Wednesday, toppling trees, knocking out power and phone lines and ripping off a few roofs but causing little structural damage.

It moved up over the Bahamas chain of 700 islands that are home to 300,000 people and was expected to hit the capital, Nassau, full blast on Friday.

Prime Minister Perry Christie told Bahamians they faced one of the most intense hurricanes in their history. "We have made every human effort to prepare ... we are ultimately in the hands of God," Christie said.

At 5 p.m. EDT, the eye of the hurricane was near San Salvador Island in central Bahamas, and 375 miles east-southeast of the south Florida coast, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said.

Frances was moving slowly northwest at 10 mph (16 kph) on a course that the hurricane center predicted could bring the eye near the central Florida coast on Saturday morning. But the storm was so huge that hurricane conditions were expected six to eight hours before then and over a wide swath of the coast.

Charley caused about $7.4 billion in insured losses, the second-highest hurricane damage toll in U.S. history behind Hurricane Andrew's $25 billion tab in 1992. (Additional reporting by John Marquis in Nassau, Jim Loney and Frances Kerry in Miami, Michael Peltier in Tallahassee and Broward Liston in Daytona Beach)

bohica

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
just south of everywhere
according to the national weather center, hurricane frances is the about the size of the state of texas. Right now it is a category 4. Not expected to reach category 5. But it is twice the size of hurricane andrew, which was a category 5, that hit florida in 1992. One of the national weather center reporters said that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a storm of this size. I live in tampa and am more worried about this storm than i was about hurricane charley.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yesterday on the weather channel they super imposed the storm over texas to show it's size - only the very tips of the state (N, S, E, W) were visible around the hurricane.

They said it was twice the size of the last storm (most recent damage to FL), and twice the size of andrew, though not quite as strong.

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
:( I lived through my share of hurrincanes. Though it was kinda fun to be able to run, jump, and land 20 feet from where you took off, the damage they cause to homes and businesses makes me very sad. Good luck FL :monkey

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
It seems like god hates Florida, 2 nasty Hurricanes in 3 weeks, damn!

As for earthquakes, they just aren't that bad, really.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
makes you wonder how the islands survive every year.

Not to mention Stiltsville... homes built on stilts on 1-3' deep water off of Miami.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah. Tell that to the people in Northridge.

-S.S.-
True enough, I wasn't trying to be insensitive.

But there is a serious misconception that when the San Andreas goes 8.0 that California will be totally devastated. The area around the epicenter will sustain serious damage even in well built buildings, but it tapers off rather quickly to much less serious damage. There is a different scale for earthquake damage and even during Northridge this was shown to be the case.

In a properly built structure and with a little planning it's not that scary.

It sounds a lot better than getting mowed over by a Hurricane the size of Texas! But thats just my opinion.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
SkaredShtles said:
If it's a big one and the epi- is near the surface, all are phuked - properly built or not.

-S.S.-
You also know the fault that caused the '69 Alaska quake was not a slip-strike fault like the San Andreas and would have much different results.

They doubt the San Andreas can release 9.0 (10X the strength of an 8.0)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Zark said:
You also know the fault that caused the '69 Alaska quake was not a slip-strike fault like the San Andreas and would have much different results.

They doubt the San Andreas can release 9.0 (10X the strength of an 8.0)
We also know that the San Andreas is *not* the only fault on/near the West Coast.

-S.S.-

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
SkaredShtles said:
We also know that the San Andreas is *not* the only fault on/near the West Coast.

-S.S.-
Obviously why you are SkaredShtless then :rolleyes:

Why not move to Florida? :nuts:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
SkaredShtles said:
I don't live on the West Coast.... :confused:

It's not earthquakes that scare me. It's the general population that scares me $htless. :D

-S.S.-
;)

Actually the latest popular theory is that Mt. Rainier is not dormant, but in fact a dead volcano. all's i know is that alot of cool trails would be toasted....
the earthquakes that will inevitably hit Seattle will be incredibly devastating. The local govt. really is draggin their feet, not so much on new construction or retro fitting building, but roads and bridges. Better to be in a building than on a road when it hits here.....
and yah that hurricane looks like a big scary lookin mutha!