Quantcast

damn, why didnt I volunteer for this

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Condom testing reveals best brands
Consumers Union sizes up the leading models

Updated: 9:37 a.m. ET Jan. 5, 2005WASHINGTON - The consumers group best known for rating cars and washing machines has turned its testing prowess to condoms to find out which ones measure up best and how other birth control methods compare.

The nonprofit Consumers Union says in a new guide to contraception that the seven top types of condoms they studied did not burst despite vigorous testing, and all models met international standards.

But results showed that the top brand, able to take the most punishment, was the Durex Extra Sensitive Lubricated Latex, according to the report.

Other top-performers include the Durex Performax Lubricated, Lifestyles Classic Collection Ultra Sensitive Lubricated and TheyFit Lubricated.

Planned Parenthood model worst performer
A melon-colored model distributed by Planned Parenthood performed the worst, bursting during a test in which the latex condoms were filled with air.

The group says its review of contraceptives was not politically motivated, although there is an intense debate among health professionals and advocacy groups about the focus on abstinence-only education by the Bush administration.

“We plan our testing programs quite a while in advance. This is purely accidental,” said senior editor Nancy Metcalf.

Consumers Union uses standardized tests to rate the products it examines, which for latex condoms involves filling them with air. There is no accepted method to test silicon or non-latex condoms.

“You end up with a balloon 3-feet-tall and a foot wide. They can really stretch an amazing amount,” Metcalf said in a telephone interview.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
3 feet by 1 foot, good that one will fit. I have been vigorously testing these things for years.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Seems like an inadequate test to me. Wouldn't friction introduce another variable that simply filling the condom with air would not cover?

Further study is required... :think:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
3 feet by 1 foot, good that one will fit.
Stop trying to perpetrate. Your e-girlfriend already said she couldn't date a guy she goes bigger than :blah: :nuts:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Stop trying to perpetrate. Your e-girlfriend already said she couldn't date a guy she goes bigger than :blah: :nuts:

dont be a dick. :nuts: :nuts:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
llkoolkeg said:
Imagine that- the planned parenthood model performs worst. Well...at least they come with a 10% off coupon for an abortion.
well if less people got pregnant then they would lose funding. do the math. :devil:

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
llkoolkeg said:
Imagine that- the planned parenthood model performs worst. Well...at least they come with a 10% off coupon for an abortion.

i can vouch for that.. pp condoms almost made my ass a daddy. thank god for the morning after pill.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
binary visions said:
Seems like an inadequate test to me. Wouldn't friction introduce another variable that simply filling the condom with air would not cover?

Further study is required... :think:
Do a Google search for Astro-glide

OR if you are into that sort of thing Anal-eez(sp?) :D

Or get your girlfriend "turned on" first....:eek: :sneaky:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
douglas said:
Consumers Union uses standardized tests to rate the products it examines, which for latex condoms involves filling them with air.
Why didn't you volunteer? I'm guessing it's because you didn't want to get the lubricant on your lips.