Quantcast

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm glad I joined jeepforum.com instead of JU knowing you're on that forum.

I don't think I could deal with you on 2 different online forums.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I'm glad I joined jeepforum.com instead of JU knowing you're on that forum.

I don't think I could deal with you on 2 different online forums.
Hey - that's not very nice!

Did anyone else notice Mmike's avatar on the Jeep forum? I know that you only ride DH once a year - POSER!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Try putting a hit of crystal meth in the crank sensor. Perhaps it's just out of crank.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Oh this is awesome.

It started right up after I had it towed there. So they've not achieved anything, as they can't reproduce the problem. SO the tech is going to take the car home tonight and hopefully it will stall on him.

But right now there is no end in sight.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You don't want him to hold on to it for the entertainment value?

pZyteX

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Amsterdam
Have they looked at the top dead center sensor? (or is that the same thing as the crank sensor, I don't know a whole lot about cars) because our cherokee did the same thing, run for a while then cut out won't start and be fine an hour later. It took us quite a few trips to the mechanic before they figured out what it was.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Screw the Jeep and get your fork fixed instead. And get some more powerful brakes. And wide white handlebars.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Have they looked at the top dead center sensor? (or is that the same thing as the crank sensor, I don't know a whole lot about cars) because our cherokee did the same thing, run for a while then cut out won't start and be fine an hour later. It took us quite a few trips to the mechanic before they figured out what it was.
Thats your cam sensor

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
does canada have some sort of a lemon law? At least that way you could walk into the 5 star dealer & shove your keys up the manager's ass & tell him to get f#cked & they would have to replace your vehicle with a non lemon version of the same one

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Since the topic has come up....
What do you jeep guys think about an '87 YJ with the straight-6?

I inhereted one from the father in law. It sat in his driveway for about 8 months and now in my driveway for about a year.

As far as I know there were no issues with it.
I need a new battery of course. We've had a lot of people tape notes to teh winshield wanting to buy it, but I figure since it is kinda old it might be something that I could actually work on myself.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Time for a network Diag on that bad boy. Most shops/dealers stray away from it, but in reality its really easy. Need to pull codes on each and every Module, eventually one of them will give you a Ucode, I generally check the ABS Module first, tends to pick up the PCM Ucodes the fastest. Seriously, I had one fo these <that I found by losing alot of sleep>But I found it from the ABS Module. Gave me a Ucode for the TPMS system , trouble was, it didnt have a TPMS Module, found a slight tear in the wiring harness at the factory Amplifier. Fixed the harness, Life was good

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
A guy on the jeep foruum... Apparently a tech at a dealer says that the PCM is the likely culprit. But until the dealer can actually reproduce the problem they won't do anything. The stupid thing is running like a top now!

He also said that it has an 80000mi warranty. Which would just barely still be covered.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Find someone that can do Mode6 Diags, Gives you teh info MUCH faster than your regular codes, but they need to know how to read the Mode six information.

It can be alot confusing because all of Mode 6 reads in Hexidecimal

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
A guy on the jeep foruum... Apparently a tech at a dealer says that the PCM is the likely culprit. But until the dealer can actually reproduce the problem they won't do anything. The stupid thing is running like a top now!

He also said that it has an 80000mi warranty. Which would just barely still be covered.
Pretty sure Jeeps were 7yr/70k miles. My WJ is an '04 and that's what the warranty was (was able to transfer over to me, as I was the second owner).

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
This the guy from the jeep forum. Does this make sense?

The pcm has a 5 volt reference driver that supplies both sensors with a 5 volt signal that is manipulated by the sensor and then run back to the pcm where it is interpreted. Other sensor that use a 5 volt ref are map and tps. Most commonly on a 4.7 the pcm fails which is why the codes for both sensors shows up.

MMike the pcm is warranteed for 8yrs 80k miles. So go get a free one from the dealer if your within that. Otherwise autocomputerexchange.com I used them for my Jeep and I work at a deale

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Since the topic has come up....
What do you jeep guys think about an '87 YJ with the straight-6?

I inhereted one from the father in law. It sat in his driveway for about 8 months and now in my driveway for about a year.

As far as I know there were no issues with it.
I need a new battery of course. We've had a lot of people tape notes to teh winshield wanting to buy it, but I figure since it is kinda old it might be something that I could actually work on myself.
yeah, it's definitely something you can work on yourself. Mine is a '99 TJ with the 4 cyl, and everything is just so easy to do. It's so straightforward and accessible, it almost fools you & makes you think it's too easy & there must be something else that needs to be done. Nope.

Keep that bad boy, yank the top, drive it on some nice days & you'll be hooked. Not only that, but take it to some ORV trails & see what they're capable of & prepare to be amazed. This is my 1st jeep & I oft wonder why in the hell I went without one up to this point in life.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
So Brenda tired to pick it up on Friday (even though they had done nothing to it).

She tries to start it. Nuthin'. Won't start. Service manager comes out, it starts.

It's still there. A week now.

I challenged him on the PCM, and he is skeptical that it's relevant.....funny because THAT would be under warranty.

I'm getting pissed now.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
So Brenda tired to pick it up on Friday (even though they had done nothing to it).

She tries to start it. Nuthin'. Won't start. Service manager comes out, it starts.

It's still there. A week now.

I challenged him on the PCM, and he is skeptical that it's relevant.....funny because THAT would be under warranty.

I'm getting pissed now.

Do a google search for recalls on that model year heep, oops, I meant Jeep, then take him the paperwork on it, he wont have a choice.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Funny story....

I just spoke with the local dealer (different one) near where I work. Told him my sob story. He disputed that the PCM would be under warranty. I pushed back insisting that I was pretty sure it was. He put me on hold. He came back and said that I was right.

So I wonder how many people he's charged for a PCM when he shouldn't have.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Your Jeep should have come with a bike rack pre-loaded with Ellsworths.