Quantcast

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'm not a fan of the newer jeeps at all...still prefer the 97-01 cherokees most or the 99-05 grand cherokees for reliability....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I'm not a fan of the newer jeeps at all...still prefer the 97-01 cherokees most or the 99-05 grand cherokees for reliability....
Reliability... maybe.
Buddy of mine bought a jeep commander for his wife, so naturally we took it out for a test run on some logging roads... I was amazed at where this thing was going. My old cherokee can't hold a candle to it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If you take it back again, maybe they will just saw it half for you.

Your Jeep = FSA cranks.
Whats really ****ty about that statement.. A friend of mine just had this happen to his Toyota pickup.... 02 with a 4 banger. He was driving and it felt like the front wheel was about to fall off... Pulled over, amd BAM, the truck dropped the frame to the ground. The upper mount for the spring seat cracked off the frame..... He took it in to toyota after hearing about a recall for this, toyota decided at this point it was unsafe ti inact the recall repair due to it already being broken ,and the trucks value was not enough for frame replacement. So he got a call stating he was receiving a check for 4800, and to come pick up his personall items out of the vehicle before its sent to be crushed and destroyed..... He asked if he could buy it salvage, they said not a chance there isnothing you can do to get this truck back, here is 4800 what we feel the value is as this point..... He called a lawyer, totally and completly legal, there is no true safe way to repair this vehicle......

SO he is out his truck, and stuck riding moto in all this wonderfull weather socal is getting right now, specially seeing he hasnt yet received his payment.

I'm feeling faint....

Though I've not been posting about it, the Jeep has still been giving me trouble. It's at the dealer again as we speak. I think the bulb in my check engine light is going to wear out.

Anyway the dealer just called me. I think they ACTUALLY found the problem. After five and a half months, they have found 3 corroded wires leading into the PCM.

I'm to go pick it up later. I can't believe it......
Hmmmmm, sounds a litte fishiny to me, you would think if there was any corrosion on the wiring before they replaced the PCM, they would have noticed it then, specially at the PCM. the wiring can be pretty small there, and its already fragile, if it corroded enought o be causing a problem it should have broken when they were mucking around taking it apart. That, or they did notice it, and did a half ass repair on it which held for a little, and now its worse.

Oh yeah....Try it now

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm not a fan of the newer jeeps at all...still prefer the 97-01 cherokees most or the 99-04 grand cherokees for reliability....
Fixed. 05 was the first year with the 3.7l V6 and IFS. My boss has one and wish he had got a leftover '04 with the 4.0 (which I have).

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Fixed. 05 was the first year with the 3.7l V6 and IFS. My boss has one and wish he had got a leftover '04 with the 4.0 (which I have).

Thanks for the fix. I'm not as much of a fan of the newer jeeps, and wasn't sure when the wk came out and didnt feel like searching.

my list so far,

92 yj with 2.5 liter 31's
97 tj on 31's
97 tj on 35's
88 yj on 33's
98 xj on 31's
98 xj stock
01 tj on 35's
94 yj on 36's

Never a major failure out of any of them that wasn't self induced.

Old lady had an 01 wj for a while that was great for us as well.

The 4.0 in all those was great, the 4.2 carb in my 88 ran kinda ****ty in the cold, but I didn't ever mess with the carb, and it burned a quart of oil every 500 miles....but it never left me stranded and had well over 200k on it.

didn't think I'd find this, lol 88yj in ontario north of Lake superior in '01

and my 94 on 36's just after I finished the roll cage on it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Damn, must spread.

A guy at work has a '42 flat fender Willys MB. I would KILL to have that thing.
Must spread?

I have literally hundreds of friends into the jeep thing. A buddy of mine when I lived up in Marquette had a super clean '42 Cj2a that we put a 4.3 liter into, dana 44's front and rear and he rolled on 33 swampers, he wanted it to be capable but wanted to stay mostly stock appearence as well. The thing was mint too.

Most of my buddies now are into building rock buggies from scratch, dana 60's and 39-44" tires.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
So did replacing the corroded wires fix it? I've got a 97 wrangler that sounds like it's going down that road. It's been parked outside two blocks from the beach for the last 3 years, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few things had started to corrode....

course it's also had the crap beaten out of it for the last 10 years so there could be lots of other reasons too...

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I used to own a Jeep Wrangler, soft top, when I lived in New Orleans. Loved the car but my commute was 1.5 mile.

The city is like riding off road too.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
jetta...23 years....guessing about 75,000 miles.
92 Pickup with 267k.

Its replacement has been found and I hope to finalize the purchase within the next several days. She's been good to me, great to me, but with age comes new needs.

Heck yeah I plan to shed a tear when she leaves.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If you can hold out until May. I can teach you everything you need to know to get rid of your car. Do you live anywhere near Montréal-Nord?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Check engine light came back on
Stop by autozone, have them retrieve the code.... list what it is please..... I will look into some more possibilities for you......... This is starting to make my one feeling feel bad for you, so get tthat code before my one feeling changed back to me!!!!

Dont le tthem try to tell you whats wrong, there is a reason they are working at AZ

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Stop by autozone, have them retrieve the code.... list what it is please..... I will look into some more possibilities for you......... This is starting to make my one feeling feel bad for you, so get tthat code before my one feeling changed back to me!!!!

Dont le tthem try to tell you whats wrong, there is a reason they are working at AZ

agreed....make model and code please. I have a buddy who is a very good jeep tech and another who is a service writer at the same dealership.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You should get one of those spare wheel covers that say "it's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand". Might save you from having to explain things when stuck motionless on the side of the road.