Quantcast

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Stop by autozone, have them retrieve the code.... list what it is please..... I will look into some more possibilities for you......... This is starting to make my one feeling feel bad for you, so get tthat code before my one feeling changed back to me!!!!

Dont le tthem try to tell you whats wrong, there is a reason they are working at AZ
From my last receipt, P0329, no crank ref signal @ PCM

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
From my last receipt, P0329, no crank ref signal @ PCM
You should check the crank position sensor.
:)

Actually I'd hook a storage oscilloscope up to the damn sensor and see what it is doing when the thing stops running. My guess is the switch is working but something else in the car is inducing noise on that feedback line most likely the ground, ground systems in cars are pretty goofy. Could be something as silly as a bad spark plug wire, ignition systems are pretty good at causing noise.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
"On any reasonable hierarchy of wheeled conveyances, the 2010 Jeep Wrangler would rate only slightly higher than a vehicle towed by a donkey through the streets of Kabul." Edmunds

We have found your next vehicle.
All you have to do is feed the donkey.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
"On any reasonable hierarchy of wheeled conveyances, the 2010 Jeep Wrangler would rate only slightly higher than a vehicle towed by a donkey through the streets of Kabul." Edmunds

We have found your next vehicle.
All you have to do is feed the donkey.
Are they territorial?
There is already one jackass in their house.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You should check the crank position sensor.
:)

Actually I'd hook a storage oscilloscope up to the damn sensor and see what it is doing when the thing stops running. My guess is the switch is working but something else in the car is inducing noise on that feedback line most likely the ground, ground systems in cars are pretty goofy. Could be something as silly as a bad spark plug wire, ignition systems are pretty good at causing noise.
Actually, spark plug wires, unless they are totally shot, as in arcing to ground and the vehicle is missing like a bitch, dont put out very much noise in teh PCM at all..... The secondary ignition is pretty sheilded from this.... Untill you get into Coil over plug systems.

But Yes, I was thinking noise in the netwrok line.... I was going to be guessing the code would be found in the ABS system, would be a "U" code..... ABS computer has a funny way of being the one to pick up U codes for all the modules...... I was thinking a short to ground somewhere in that Network signal...... Usually it will be in the splice block that ties all the network lines together<not what its actually called, but I cant remember it right now> Alot of times they get caked with mud and start trickling a small current with just effs with all the modules talking to each other. Pretty neat system when they work, but when they dont, life becomes a bitch to track down exactly what is causing the problem.

I ran it by the dealer. The got the code. Just an evap leak.....it has thrown that code in the past. So it was jsut a coincidence.
Learn to put your gas cap on right, this problem will stop!!!!!!

Seriously though, you probably have a sticky leak down pump, chrysler has a silly way of watching the evap system, belive it or not, you check it with a friggin ballon

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Actually, spark plug wires, unless they are totally shot, as in arcing to ground and the vehicle is missing like a bitch, dont put out very much noise in teh PCM at all..... The secondary ignition is pretty sheilded from this.... Untill you get into Coil over plug systems.

But Yes, I was thinking noise in the netwrok line.... I was going to be guessing the code would be found in the ABS system, would be a "U" code..... ABS computer has a funny way of being the one to pick up U codes for all the modules...... I was thinking a short to ground somewhere in that Network signal...... Usually it will be in the splice block that ties all the network lines together<not what its actually called, but I cant remember it right now> Alot of times they get caked with mud and start trickling a small current with just effs with all the modules talking to each other. Pretty neat system when they work, but when they dont, life becomes a bitch to track down exactly what is causing the problem.

Learn to put your gas cap on right, this problem will stop!!!!!!

Seriously though, you probably have a sticky leak down pump, chrysler has a silly way of watching the evap system, belive it or not, you check it with a friggin ballon

I don't know too much about cars but deal with crap like this in idustrial electronics. Noise is can be a real problem where high frequency PWM signals are pushing ****-tons of current.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I don't know too much about cars but deal with crap like this in idustrial electronics. Noise is can be a real problem where high frequency PWM signals are pushing ****-tons of current.
Your absolutly right, When ****tons of current are there..... Ignition wires are a really LOW curent flow..... its all about hi voltage

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Your absolutly right, When ****tons of current are there..... Ignition wires are a really LOW curent flow..... its all about hi voltage
Since they can cause so many problems with stereos and other electronics I figured it could screw other things up.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Burn it, its a witch.

Actually, see if it floats first! Then you'll know:rofl:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Since they can cause so many problems with stereos and other electronics I figured it could screw other things up.
Wreaks effin havoc on amps.... youll see it most on cheapie stuff with ****ty filters.....

Never a bad idea to look at stuff like that though, always check the basics before diving neck deep into a wiring harness.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wreaks effin havoc on amps.... youll see it most on cheapie stuff with ****ty filters.....

Never a bad idea to look at stuff like that though, always check the basics before diving neck deep into a wiring harness.
A Bad CPU ground would could **** it all up.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
...not ballsy enough to pull the trigger, or smart enough to turn off the key.
HA... we just got a list of how to be checking for this, and what to do if your driving and it happens.... Its specifically listed NOT to turn off the ignition....... but to just shift to neutral pull over, than stop............

I still cantbelive the crap fix they have come up with.... We've been talking about this for almost two years in Diag classes now...... Its more likely a sensor flaw in the drive by wire system Pedal position system.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How's that Jeep working out these days, MMike? I ask since I'm contemplating picking one up:

It isn't very "green" but it's cheap, and cheap is paramount at this point in my life.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Bikes are cheap *and* green. :monkey:
In Seattle I biked to work every day save for a week when there was 12" of snow on the ground. Unfortunately, there will be quite a bit more than a single week per winter with snow present here in LI, and I'm not nearly as close to my hospital as I was in Seattle… (either couldn't afford or wouldn't care to live in the neighborhoods that close, depending on the direction traveled.)

Sadly, reality intrudes on my ideals. I'll have an electric car and a bikeable commute someday, just not now.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
How's that Jeep working out these days, MMike? I ask since I'm contemplating picking one up:

It isn't very "green" but it's cheap, and cheap is paramount at this point in my life.
ZJ's are pretty reliable, the 4.0 and the 5.2's are both pretty good motors, beware of the full time 4wd models as the viscous coupler in the t-case often goes bad and locks up, causing a lot of bind, but really no damage other than increased tire and component wear.

Otherwise those jeeps will rust out before they will wear out, espescially if you care for them.

As for not being very green, they get "decent" mileage for an SUV.....my girl has the WJ style Grand (1999-2005ish) with the 4.0 straight six and pulls down 18 in the city/everyday, and we pulled down 21 mpg with two bikes on the roof, two on a trunk rack, 4 people, and 3 days worth of food and camping gear, we were loaded down pretty good and at 65-70 mph on the highway we were getting 21 for our trip....fairly impressive.

I'm a big jeep fan because I have had great luck with them.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I think the ones with the wood panelling are known to be more reliable. A "nature-y" and whatnot.

Something about the karma credits and the nostalgias.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi: "i hope gas is $20/gallon before 2020, ideally by 2012." :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I still hope that! I will gladly pay out the nose if it means there are less pain-in-the-ass New Yorkers sharing the roads with me. This car would largely be used for commuting on the days when it would be unsafe to do so on the motorcycle, for the record.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i have a 92 cherokee 4.0 manual trans. it runs well. i do have a little leak at the front output shaft on the transfer case though.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
WJ is the biggest piece of of crap jeep ever produced. I hear tell it was the first project they embarked upon with Daimler back in the day. I was counseled not to buy one by a friend of mine back in seattle who was a mechanic at a jeep dealer. But did I listen? nooooooo........

Just put another $500 into it in the last 2 weeks.

ZJ's I think are supposed to be a bit better. But definitely stay away from WJ's.