Quantcast

Damn you Santa Cruz, damn you to hell!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
How do they keep pulling me back in? Why do I keep going and trying their bikes?

Wife and I went this weekend to the Kirt Voreis All Ride Tour to play with some of the new frames out on the trails of South Seattle.

Damn everything straight to hell, now I really, really want a pair of Blur LT's, one for the wife, one for me. My Enduro is hitting the point of being all shot to hell, and for some reason her Stumpy has been acting up.

I have to say, for all of my issues with Santa Cruz, I love their bikes, especially these Blurs. They tracked amazingly well on the trail, pedaled up things that would stop my Enduro, and rode "quiet."

Damn them, damn them.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
There are a lot of great bikes out there. Why not buy one from a company that is not out to ruin your life?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I know a shop with plenty. Yuba Expeditions in Downieville. Contact them if you really want one.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I think its going to be a bit before I can afford one.
With the new(ish) Demo for the wife, and getting hit by a jag off in an Escalade, the funds are a little low right now.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Seeing as how my bike has been in the shop three times already this season me thinks it's time for a new one, if only I could convince the wife that a SC is in the budget.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I hear you there. She saw the "look of love in my eye" after the second mile, and got on the "honey, its not in the budget right now" speech.

Mind you, she hasn't seen her new Demo, so I am either going to be in a lot of trouble, or I will be absolved as I got her the new toy for her first.

women are strange that way

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I hear you there. She saw the "look of love in my eye" after the second mile, and got on the "honey, its not in the budget right now" speech.

Mind you, she hasn't seen her new Demo, so I am either going to be in a lot of trouble, or I will be absolved as I got her the new toy for her first.

Yeah well I'm still trying to convince her that building up the carbon road frame I have is a good idea, so I'm not even thinking I'll be getting a new mtb soon.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

LOL! If it were me, I would probably absolve you, especially if it was delivered with beer :cheers:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Its for our 7th anniversary, so this time I am classing things up and delivering it with some bubbly.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I wonder if I still know anyone at SC.

I can use a newer Chameleon, rear disc brakes sound nice.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I was amazed by how well that thing rode.
I've been in love with my Enduro for some time, but the new Blur LT put its dick in the dirt in a big way. When cranking it doesn't feel like you're suspended, but then you hit something, and its bueno.

The other thing they got rid for was the "push in" to manual or wheelie the VP. Thing got on its back wheel without question, and would stay there.

Sitting here now debating if the 401k needs what's in it...

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I've been in love with my Enduro for some time, but the new Blur LT put its dick in the dirt in a big way. When cranking it doesn't feel like you're suspended, but then you hit something, and its bueno.

The other thing they got rid for was the "push in" to manual or wheelie the VP. Thing got on its back wheel without question, and would stay there.

The way my 401K is doing right now I think a bike would be a better investment. :disgust1:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

no 29r, no care!

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I wants a Trek 69'er, but that seems more like a fetish/play bike to me then something I can get five years out of like I did with my Enduro.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Not the worst idea I've ever heard.

The enduro will limp on for another few months. Replaced the bearings on the frame, but had to send the rear wheel back to King as the hub shell has stretched some over the past few 4 years of a lot of riding. Hoping to get it all back together soon.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not the worst idea I've ever heard.
especially since Sc has, as of the last few years, had notoriously long lead times for frame delivery. Not to mention that they will probably get pushed out on you a few times. There's some peeps in the DH forum who waited 6-7 months for their new v-10's...

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Yea, that's the problem I have with their business model.

While its a good idea from a sales stand point to create a demand so to assure sell through, its poor from the customer end as you want the bike.

Oh well, I can put this "savings jar" I started for this bike towards an Intense SS if they don't have the frame at SC when I need it.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
They probably remember you at SC. They'll probably deliberately send you the wrong frames 3 times just to F with you.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
They probably remember you at SC. They'll probably deliberately send you the wrong frames 3 times just to F with you.
Going to use a pen name.
You know, the name I had while I was serving time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yea, that's the problem I have with their business model.

While its a good idea from a sales stand point to create a demand so to assure sell through, its poor from the customer end as you want the bike.

Oh well, I can put this "savings jar" I started for this bike towards an Intense SS if they don't have the frame at SC when I need it.
I don't think they're doing it just to eff with customers... I think its a sourcing issue based on what I've heard. That, and supply/demand issues. From what I can grasp they have a difficult time keeping supplied with frames.

Additionally, it would be a poor business move on their part to drastically increase supply which would ultimately backfire as the market would then be flooded.

I know it sucks for people, but they have families to feed too.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I don't think they're doing it just to eff with customers... I think its a sourcing issue based on what I've heard. That, and supply/demand issues. From what I can grasp they have a difficult time keeping supplied with frames.

Additionally, it would be a poor business move on their part to drastically increase supply which would ultimately backfire as the market would then be flooded.

I know it sucks for people, but they have families to feed too.
That's what happens with cheap farmed-out sh!t. Of course, I wouldn't buy the Intense either since they give USA made high end bike good a bad name too.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Yea, I have been hunting around town some today at my various LBS, and it comes down to about $1800 and I'll get it some time before August, they think.

So its now a choice between do I need an Intense SS or a SC Blur first.
Going to need a second job.