Quantcast

Damo goes to NZ

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I left home on Thursday afternoon. Now I'm sitting in Auckland airport waiting for my last connecting flight. I have been sitting in airplanes for just under 32 hours by this stage...

I discovered my NZ drivers licence had expired and the only way to renew it is in person in New Zealand. Booked myself the tickets and 4 days later, I'm sitting on a whole series of planes.

Sleeping tablets are your friends...

Got a whole lot of catching up to do while I'm here. Loads of riding invites, but I'll have to see how things go time-wise. I leave again next Thursday, so my family will disown me if I don't spend some time with them!

No camera with me except iPhone, so I'll try to post at least a couple pics.

Yo.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
well at least your looking at it the good way by getting some riding in . i've seen some of the riding down there [ tipping point dvd] and your going to be doing some good dh while your there , lucky bastard !

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You'll be able to one-up anyone who has a whiny DMV story.

"...oh really, you had to wait 2 hrs in line to get your license ? Let me tell ya..."

But more importantly Damo, do toilets really swirl the opposite direction in NZ ?

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
just slightly jealous. my little bro is studying abroad out in aukland, so if i can get some work in the next little while, i may just head back out there. outside of the northeastern united states, of all the places i have lived/visited, the south island of NZ feels most like home to me...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bet you will get used to the civilized world this week and once you get back to France all the B.O. will become overpowering. That is unless it is less intense than the smell of sheep ****.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i feel guilty if i fall asleep on a plane......to say i snore loudly would be a understatement.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You live between Morzine and somewhere in NZ. I live between Central Africa and DC and soon, Hyderabad. Je crois, tu sais quelque chose que je ne sais pas.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I've been having a blast here so far. Been catching up with loads of friends and family.

Went down to Wellington (missed out on seeing you DaveW, but caught up with Ricky).

I'm now chilling out, waiting to fly out tomorrow back home. No photos for now, I can't access the internet on my own computer...

Yo.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm about to go ride a loop of Kahuterawa Valley with my sister. This was my old haunting grounds when I lived in Palmy. We spent many years building tracks up here (huge local forestry/native bush land with permission to build). It is where I 'cut my teeth' so to speak. My sister was the one who introduced me to mountainbiking many many years ago, so this is going to be awesome!

A good 3 hour ride will be good before sitting on a plane for another 30-odd hours...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Ok. Back home now in France. Tired. The flight back seemed longer than the ones to get there.

Here's a couple of iPhone pics.

Looking down on Mt Ruapehu. This is the one that erupts every now and then scaring the sht out of skiers.

One of the waterfalls near my parent's place.

Kahuterawa trailhead.

My big sis.

This little 3yr old has her Uncle wrapped around her little finger.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Enzed. Horrible place, all those snow capped mountains, lakes and rivers. What you want is deserts! Endless f*cking desert.