Quantcast

Damo, this is getting annoying now...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Ok. I've asked a lot of 'which lens' questions like a typical noob.

The money has come through from an inheritance which I have decided to use to start me off on the photography road. It's time to make the purchases. I've done a fair bit of researching and have come up with a shopping list that I'd like you guys to scrutinize for me.

Canon 5D mkII body
2x Canon EX 580II
Sigma 15mm 2.8 fisheye
Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6
Canon 85mm 1.8

There are other bits & pieces in there too, but these are what I want some last minute advice on. Bearing in mind I already have a 70-200 2.8 and a 24-70 2.8, I'm after a well-rounded arsenal to be able to cover anything from interiors, weddings to mtb photography.

The main questions will be:
Do I need the 580s? Or will 2x 430s do? Maybe one of each? But then I'd have to learn 2 different flashes...
Is 15mm about right for a fisheye on a FF? Or should I go shorter?

Is there anything you would change on the list from past experience, bearing in mind it is still a limited budget...

Cheers all. Once the buying is done, there will be no more of these annoying posts :)

yo.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the 430EXII's are nice since they have a faster recharge time then the 430EX's, but still not as fast as the 580's. you could save a few bucks going that route, but judging by what you are buying, i dont think a few bucks is going to make a difference.
both flashes are similar to each other, so "learning" them would be pretty easy.

the 85mm 1.8 is nice too, did you look into the 50mm 1.4? im actually off right now to by the 50mm 1.8, the nifty fifty

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Steve, I havn't looked at the 50mm offerings. I was going for the 85 as more of a portrait lens. I don't think a 50 would get used that much by me...

As for the flashes, I should (and probably will) get the 580IIs just for the future-proofness and the fact that they are the best from Canon. But I am a little put off by the sheer size of the damn things. I still have to fit them both in the bag and lug the things all over the bloody mountains... I'm sure I'll forget about that once I start using them though...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok. I've asked a lot of 'which lens' questions like a typical noob.

The money has come through from an inheritance which I have decided to use to start me off on the photography road. It's time to make the purchases. I've done a fair bit of researching and have come up with a shopping list that I'd like you guys to scrutinize for me.

Canon 5D mkII body
2x Canon EX 580II
Sigma 15mm 2.8 fisheye
Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6
Canon 85mm 1.8

There are other bits & pieces in there too, but these are what I want some last minute advice on. Bearing in mind I already have a 70-200 2.8 and a 24-70 2.8, I'm after a well-rounded arsenal to be able to cover anything from interiors, weddings to mtb photography.

The main questions will be:
Do I need the 580s? Or will 2x 430s do? Maybe one of each? But then I'd have to learn 2 different flashes...
Is 15mm about right for a fisheye on a FF? Or should I go shorter?

Is there anything you would change on the list from past experience, bearing in mind it is still a limited budget...

Cheers all. Once the buying is done, there will be no more of these annoying posts :)

yo.
looks good to me given that you already have the 24-70 and 70-200. might get a set of pocketwizards for kicks, too?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the 15mm sigma fisheye is plenty wide enough, unless you like the keyhole style look (which i don't).

are you gonna use a 580 as a master? i would add in either another flash or pocket wizards/cyber syncs if you want more than one off camera flash.

the 85 is a very solid lens, much faster focusing than the 50.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yeah, sorry. I should have said I already have radio triggers... I already have 2 Vivitars I use for remote flash work, just upgrading these to new flashes.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
They are Vivitar 283s with no varipower. They are either on or they are off. All adjustments to exposure need to done in-camera.
I thought that if I am going to upgrade the flashes, I might as well get the best.
Also with inheritence money, I wanted to get things I wouldn't normally be getting. Ie: if it were my own saved money, I'd probably get the EX 430ii. Know what I mean?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Because I have a Canon body, it would make sense to get flashes that are at least compatible with the body and can be used on camera when needed...

I know what you are saying: I could even get a few SB XXs for the same price as 2x 580s!

But, I may as well stick to a compatible system...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Because I have a Canon body, it would make sense to get flashes that are at least compatible with the body and can be used on camera when needed...

I know what you are saying: I could even get a few SB XXs for the same price as 2x 580s!

But, I may as well stick to a compatible system...
yeah, it only makes sense to do that...i was just throwing that out there. im pretty happy with my 430EXII, but if you got the extra to get the 580's, then its a no brainer

Dump all those sigma lenses and start collecting "L" lenses.:D
the 24-70 and the 70-200 are both L lenses

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Actually, all my lenses are Sigmas. I'm pretty happy with them so far...

I would love to have all L glass, but until I'm paid big bucks to take photos, I'm sticking to affordable fast glass.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Heading off on a new tangent now:

I can get a (very lightly) used 1Dmk3 for 500 bucks cheaper than a new 5Dmk2. It is owned by a ski mag editor and is one of 4 mk3 bodies he owns. It has been his backup body, so has seen little use and is in A1 condition.

So now what should I do? I was ready to click on the 'purchace now' button now I'm home with proper Internet, but now I'm unsure which to get...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Heading off on a new tangent now:

I can get a (very lightly) used 1Dmk3 for 500 bucks cheaper than a new 5Dmk2. It is owned by a ski mag editor and is one of 4 mk3 bodies he owns. It has been his backup body, so has seen little use and is in A1 condition.

So now what should I do? I was ready to click on the 'purchace now' button now I'm home with proper Internet, but now I'm unsure which to get...
Gunderson keeps his equipment top notch so I would feel really good picking up one of his back up bodies.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I think the mkIV will be waaaay out of my price league...

I'd be interested in hearing your advise Fraser?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Gunderson keeps his equipment top notch so I would feel really good picking up one of his back up bodies.
Just been chatting with him.

1Dmk3 it is. Reading up on lots of comparisons and the 1D just seems the better choice.

Woohoo.

The rest of the gear list won't change and, in fact, is already on the way.

In a week or so, I'll be the proud owner of shiny new kit.

Cheers everyone for your input.

Bring on the snow... :weee: