Quantcast

Damping on ´99 Monster T

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I have a 1999 Marzocchi Monster T fork, which works well enough for me, but I am curious what's the damping system like? Marzocchi's manuals say only that there's a damping cartridge, which isn't too informative.
Is the cartridge similar to shimmed HSCV cartridges found on newer Marzocchi forks, or is there just a ported piston like in SSV?

Aug 4, 2008
There is no HSCV in 99' Monster line.

I believe that HSCV was introduced in big M line somewhere 2000 or 2001. They were the black ones.

So - black anno Monster T = HSCV
Raw alu Monster T = SSV

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I have a 1999 Marzocchi Monster T fork, which works well enough for me, but I am curious what's the damping system like? Marzocchi's manuals say only that there's a damping cartridge, which isn't too informative.
Is the cartridge similar to shimmed HSCV cartridges found on newer Marzocchi forks, or is there just a ported piston like in SSV?
Up until this year, all Zoke cartridges were crimped shut. Servicing things like the shimstack is not possible.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
There is no HSCV in 99' Monster line.

I believe that HSCV was introduced in big M line somewhere 2000 or 2001. They were the black ones.

So - black anno Monster T = HSCV
Raw alu Monster T = SSV
I found this old thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-87460.html

The third post there says:
Before 2002, the HSCV cartridges were known as SSV cartridges, this creates a lot of confusion when you look at the current "SSV and SSVF" dampers. A 1999 Z2 BAM had "ssv catridges", not "ssv".

So the current "HSCV" cartridges are similer to the old "SSV cartridges", but not similer to SSV or SSVF damping.
If this is true, doesn't it mean that the raw (1999-2000) and black (2001-2002) Monsters have the same or at least pretty similar cartridges, even if Marzocchi call them by different names?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I think from 1999 ro 2002 they had the same internals. Dont quote me on that.

I had the 02 and my mate had the 00 and they where identical except for colours. The 02 did have a bleed nipple on top, to release the air build up. the models below that did not.