Quantcast

Damping on old Fox 32 for a kid

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Buddy of mine has a 5 year old that is a little ripper. He has some kind of kids 26" bike but like most kids bikes it weighs a ton, his father says the fork weighs 7 lbs. I was going to offer up one of my old Fox 32 XC forks that are collecting dust in the basement, not sure of the exact year but a late oughts Fox F100 RL. It should drop many pounds off of what he currently has. Was thinking that the stock damping would be excessive for a small child. Looks like the stock fork runs 10wt oil in the damping leg. I have fox 7 and 5 WT oil on hand and was thinking a lighter oil would work better for the little dude. Anyone have any recommendations where to start. I assume the kid is about 50lbs and growing fast.

I have a ton of old high end stuff sitting around that I will never use. Might as well bling this kids bike out. Have some old XTR 8 speed drivetrains and some very light wheels that will work on his bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Were those open bath dampers, or are you thinking of the lower leg lube oil?
Id think lighter weight oil in the damper would do the trick.

Yeah that era of forks were open bath. Assuming it has a shim stack it looks like the lower weight would affect lower speeds more than higher speeds and the relationship is not linear (5WT would not produce half the force of 10 WT)

Looks like the lowest weight I can get my hands on would be best for the kid. Not going to worry too much, I doubt he will be too critical over damping tune.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yea, the lower the oil weight the better, mostly because lighter spring weights require less rebound.

Also, assuming it's air sprung?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
if you have any old other school forks along those lines - qr, brake bosses, straight steerer - i might be interested in one for upgrading wife/younger kid's bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
if you have any old other school forks along those lines - qr, brake bosses, straight steerer - i might be interested in one for upgrading wife/younger kid's bike.

I have 5 old Fox 32 straight steerer forks. QR, some with vee brake bosses. Let me know what you need.

However, all have many many many many many miles on them. I actually used to ride my bikes hundreds of miles a week, the good old days.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Yeah that era of forks were open bath. Assuming it has a shim stack it looks like the lower weight would affect lower speeds more than higher speeds and the relationship is not linear (5WT would not produce half the force of 10 WT)

Not going to worry too much, I doubt he will be too critical over damping tune.
He is probably already calling you an idiot over on Pinkbike.
Kids these days...