Quantcast

dan osman

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
da nwas actually a damn good climber. he would would usually do a route 150-200 times before soloing it if it was difficult. the best footage of him however is the stuff he did at Rifle....free soloing 5.12+ routes that overhang 45 degrees. pretty nasty. the rope jumping stuff was crazy....if you want to see some badass soling master of stone stuff try to find some footage online of John Bachar...probably isnt any around but if ya find it you will be impressed.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
when he jumped 1200 feet off a cliff with a rope. yeah, thats right, not bungee - a rope.
yes but a dynamic climbing rope. not a static hauling rope. dynamic ropes stretch about 1 foot for every 10 feet when you fall greatly reducing the stress applied to gear and climber.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
yes but a dynamic climbing rope. not a static hauling rope. dynamic ropes stretch about 1 foot for every 10 feet when you fall greatly reducing the stress applied to gear and climber.
Those dynamic ropes broke and he died. Sure he jumped at the wrong angle, but the fact remains that what he did killed him.

Great climber or not, what he did with the jumping was stupid. There's no way to defend it by saying thay he"pushed the limits" or crap like that. The guy was selfish and immature.

One hell of a frikkin climber though!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Those dynamic ropes broke and he died. Sure he jumped at the wrong angle, but the fact remains that what he did killed him.

Great climber or not, what he did with the jumping was stupid. There's no way to defend it by saying thay he"pushed the limits" or crap like that. The guy was selfish and immature.

One hell of a frikkin climber though!!!
i agree completely...he was not pushing the limits of anything other than free soloing and speed climbing.i always heard it wasnt the angle that took him it was that he had left his rigging in place through several days of incliment weather and that was what caused the rope to break...there is actually helmet cam footage of dans fall...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
i agree completely...he was not pushing the limits of anything other than free soloing and speed climbing.i always heard it wasnt the angle that took him it was that he had left his rigging in place through several days of incliment weather and that was what caused the rope to break...there is actually helmet cam footage of dans fall...
I was under the impression that he was not so much into climbing at that point as he was jumping/falling. Now I am not involved in rock climbing, I only know what I have read in a few articles about him. But one of the articles was saying that he was not too concerned about the ropes being out in the weather. When asked about it by a friend he said that they were ropes designed for Everest. Incliment weather for sustained periods and all that. The article went on to say that the rope company got ahold of the rope for testing and concluded that it was human error that caused the accident. I don't know though, I don't know anything about climbing equipment. I have only ever gone bouldering with some friends (which was great fun and a heck of a challenge!).
Here's a link to an article from 1999 in OUTSIDE magazine. http://outside.away.com/magazine/0499/9904terminal.html Not sure if the article is spot on or BS, but it's a good read.

I don't think I'd want to see the helmet cam footage. I hate it when young people die through reckless actions. It always seem like such a waste.