Quantcast

Dang...... hit my first deer this AM

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
I'm getting off to a great start this year!!! So, yeah, three deer ran out in front of me on my way to work this morning and I managed to nail the one closest to me. It smashed into the front driver's side quarterpanel, bounced off the windshield, and went sailing over the roof of my car and landed on the other side of the road. It was quite spectacular, after I got done having a heart attack. It eventually got up, at which point it took off at a dead run and smashed into my car AGAIN, on the OTHER side! It fell down, got back up, and ran off. I have no idea how badly I maimed it. My car actually doesn't look too bad, but we'll see how bad it really is once the insurance adjuster looks at it. :disgust1: I am now minus a driver's side mirror, my turn signal light is being held in place by pretty black duct tape, and there's a big dent in the fender. The other side, where it literally ran into me a second time, seems undamaged.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
crap, that sucks. i hit a deer 5 years ago. cracked my radiator in addition to crushing my hood, right quarter panel and headlight.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Yeah, I didn't even think of that. If it's still light enough when I get out of work, I'll take some & post 'em tonight. But like I said, it doesn't look that bad now. My ex- works at a car repair place, so he took the mirror that was dangling by a few cords off completely, duct taped the signal light back in..... the dent probably won't even show up in a photo, because of the color of the car, but maybe it will. But I'll try some photos, just for you, Doug. :D

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
You'd be amazed at what deer can live through for a brief time. They can run for long distances with a variety of extreme internal injuries...even a completely destroyed heart.

Sometime before Christmas I had a deer run in front of the van close enough that I heard her tail thump on the passenger side fender after she had cleared the front of the van.

I caught her approach from the left in the corner of my eye but had no time to react effectively. She had a companion who passe dahead of us shortly thereafter.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Wow, that would have scared the heck outta me. I have had a few close calls but nothinig like that!

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Couple years ago one of those little bastards ran out and hit the side of the car I was in. Didn't do much damage but definitly scared the hell out us.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Deer may be dumb but at least they are not as dumb as squirrels.
QFT. My wife and I lovingly refer to the squirrels in our neighborhood as "suicidal squirrels".

Fortunately for me the biggest thing I've hit with a car was a cat. I've seen the aftermath of a car vs cow accident. Car was messed up but the cow didn't look that bad.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
"thank you" from all of our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren. only another couple thousand years and they'll evolve enough so that they'll be smart enough not to run in front of cars... :lighten:

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I had two deer encounters a few weeks ago. The first out of the corner of my eye I see a buck jumping onto the road towards the side of my Jeep. The buck seeing my jeep rears up on its rear legs to stop. It completely fell over backwards as its legs slid out from under it. It continued to slide on its side behind my Jeep and off the side of the road which was a steep embankment and about 15' to the bottom. I have never laughed so hard as i watched the deer in my rear view mirro sliding across the road.

The next was two days later on the same road. 1:30am on my way to work. A deer runs across the road right in front of me. I had no chance as the deer almost came from behind me. The drivers front corner of my Jeep hits the deer in the shoulder knocking it over. My Jeep just continued on as both drivers side tires ran it over. My front axle got quite the death wobble until I slowed down. My fog light on that side of the Jeep was already missing from 4 wheeling. I ended up with no damage at all to the Jeep. The Deer on the other hand was done for. About a half mile later there were 3 deer just standing in the opposite lane. They are not the smartest animals.

Then just last week I had about 15 Elk running down the road in front of me. I was behind them for a good 300-400'. One would not move to either side. I gave it a slight tap with the front bumper so it then decided to get off the road.