Quantcast

Dangerously Strong Magnets

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
wow the fluid looks like fun, yet just more stupid dangerous ideas keep popping up.

thanks!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I have an N40 magnet that has like 100lbs of force on it. It is only two inchs across and 1/4" think though. The one above looks positively dangerous.

Incredibly fun toy, and a good stud finder.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i held a large magnet up to my roomate's TV last year hoping to **** it up. no luck, just temporary rainbows. i should've bought one of those monster magnets. TV probably would've exploded.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I bet that magnet is sitting next to a brand new RAID array in a shipping center right now..

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
all you need for super magnents are the onz inside od you HD in your comp.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
zmtber said:
all you need for super magnents are the onz inside od you HD in your comp.
Hard drive magnets aren't really all that strong. They're decent, but hardly "super magnets".

The ones inside microwaves are much more fun.

splat

Nam I am
binary visions said:
Hard drive magnets aren't really all that strong. They're decent, but hardly "super magnets".

The ones inside microwaves are much more fun.
Actually Hard drive magnets are Neodymium magnets also , they are just small for the most part. so for a Permenent Magnet they are very strong .

the ones inside a micro wave are electro-mags, and well when you start playing with electo-mags it just gets fun!!!

when I worked at MIT whe had some electoto mags that ran on 440V 100 amp 3 phase - Hu yay!!! CRT's 100 yards away Flincehd when we fired that baby up!!!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Why would you want a super strong magnet? The only possible use I could think of is to put one on your old fella and then go look for a chick with braces.;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I occasionally work with permanent magnet linear motors where the magnets have a perpendicular attraction force on the stator around 10,000lbs with a .3 mm gap. The stators have to be lowered into place with small jack screws, doing it by hand would destroy things and lowering with a crane usually ends up lifting the machine, the stators weigh in less than 100lbs. Cool stuff.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
manimal said:
i'm going to get some of the rod ones and hook them to my opponent at the next DS race. just let him pull me around for a bit then take off w/ my saved enery :D

ultra nerd lol.. F inversely proportional to d^2 will guarantee lots of fun for those watching!!!!!...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
manimal said:
i'm going to get some of the rod ones and hook them to my opponent at the next DS race. just let him pull me around for a bit then take off w/ my saved enery :D
But as you overtake him you'll be sucked back towards him, and you'll both collapse in a homo-erotic looking heap. It could be quite embarrasing.

splat

Nam I am
Changleen said:
But as you overtake him you'll be sucked back towards him, and you'll both collapse in a homo-erotic looking heap. It could be quite embarrasing.
ahh but if he has them set up so the like poles are facing one another , ( since the Like will repulse ) all he has to do is get in front of him and then the person in the back would be pushing you ahead.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
splat said:
ahh but if he has them set up so the like poles are facing one another , ( since the Like will repulse ) all he has to do is get in front of him and then the person in the back would be pushing you ahead.
so, no homo-erotic looking heap??
no fun.
but the first corner will make up for that.