Quantcast

Dark Mountain Trails

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Rode Dark Mountain on Saturday. Did two laps and repeated a couple portions. Didn't ride the OMVT as we didn't realize that was open to bikes until Saturday night.

Not too bad. If you are in the Wilksboro area definately worth a ride.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
I've heard it's pretty generic/beginner with lots of double track...............any truth to that?? I did hear that the views are nice though.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
zod said:
I've heard it's pretty generic/beginner with lots of double track...............any truth to that?? I did hear that the views are nice though.
Nah I wouldn't call it that.

They've got this thing called the CORE trail which seems to be mainly doubletrack. However, they have these numbered trails 1 thru 11 that are pretty much all singletrack that branch from the CORE trail. We rode the trails in numeric order.

It seems pretty fresh cut as the benching is still fresh in lots of places (still soft on the edge). Also appears that some of the singletrack was machine cut but its still pretty narrow.

They have a few stunts and several built up log piles and a couple of jumps. The trails are mainly up and down with one super flowy section (trail 9). The second lap was definately much better as we had an idea of what was coming.

The OMVT (Over Mountain Victory Trail) might be that way but we didn't ride that. Supposedly that's an out and back currently for bikes from somewhere in there.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
We are closely approaching the 4 mile marker on the OMVT side. The last trail day put us within seeing distance of the Berry Mtn road. The OMVT side is about the same as the Dark Mtn side however I'm doing my best to incorporate small drops and jumps whenever possible. I'm the only dh'r that regularly works on the trails so if hard to sale somethings and the Rangers definitely don't support huge obstacles. That said the trail is pretty fun. We already have one huge log ride however its hard to notice. The trail actually goes right by it but not many people pay it any mind (thanks goddness...). We also have some small jumps on this trail, nothing to get excited about but they are fun with hopes of biggers coming. A couple of weekends ago we put in a three foot drop off of a tree stump which is somewhat techincal in that when you land you have to drop again back onto the trail.

The good news is that other trail workers are progressing at jumping so as they progress bigger stuff should be more easily sold to them. Example: we have a prime opportunity for a water bar run that already has 8-10 huge water bars. They are spaced 25-30 feet apart which will allow time to set up for the next. Crossfingers!!!!

Anytime anyone plans to ride and wants a guided tour (fun stuff included) just visit the BMCC website (http://brushymtncyclists.tripod.com) & post a thread. Or you can find my contact information on the site as well, I'm the mtb ride coordinator for the club.

FYI - OMVT is extremely wet and muddy right with all the freezing & thawing. I wouldn't recommend unless you just like mud. That said Dark Mtn holds up pretty good with the exception of the Homestead section.

Ride Hard~

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Forgot to reply about how easy/hard the trails are:

Dark Mtn is one of the hardest XC trails in the area as compared to Winston, Greensboro, Statesville & Charlotte areas. Like the above analysis the trails have lots of ups & downs which are extremely fun (at least the downs for me anyway!).

Big bikes can be managed on Dark Mtn as long as your not trying to keep up with Mister Spandex on his sub 30 pound bike...I speak from experience; 40 pounds compared to 26 pounds definitely makes a difference...for sure!

Merry Christmas