Quantcast

dark mountain

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
Hey,
I was wondering if the downhill trails at dark mountain are open, the one that the race was on, and where exactly is the downhill trail?
Also how far is dark mountain from Greensboro? thinking about doing a day trip.
thanks,
paul

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
took me right at an hour from high point, so if you get on 40 just add 15 minutes or so.
trail.... go over the dam, there will be a big grassy field down to your left. go there. standing on the grass with the lake on your left and woods in front of you, the trail ends right in the corner of the wood line. kind of hard to explain but you can't miss it. big rock/root hump right before the grass. you can follow that trail up backwards, which is probably the easiest way unless you have a 4x4 truck to shuttle with. only takes about 5 minutes to hike up it and it's not too steep.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
stubby said:
Hey,
I was wondering if the downhill trails at dark mountain are open, the one that the race was on, and where exactly is the downhill trail?
Also how far is dark mountain from Greensboro? thinking about doing a day trip.
thanks,
paul

The trails system is always open. Just keep an extra eye out when coming down the downhill trail because a lot xc riders use it as the entrance & hickers are out a lot on the weekends as well. As manimal mentioned above its easier just to walk up the trail. We're headed to Sugar this weekend otherwise I could meet you there.

Have fun!!! :thumb: