Quantcast

Dark Mtn DH Race - suggestions for next year

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Thanks to everyone that came out today. We had 72 riders which was two more than our ideal situation! :D Everything went pretty smooth & that is really credited to all the racers for getting to the start on time....thank you! :thumb: The timing system worked great & as long as we have a good turn out for the XC race we should be able to afford it again next year. The awards did get a little behind schedule (about half hour to an hour longer than we were anticapating) but we'll know to allow more time for downloading the times next year so that everyone can plan their schedule a little better...thanks for patience.

As announced in the riders meeting, please provide suggestions for improving next years DH event. A few things that we already plan to do is; 1) remove a couple of rows on the pyramid jump; 2) do away with the shuttle trailer & use three pickups instead; 3) improve the starting pad; 4) try to avoid having it on Father's Day weekend so that the Boy Scouts can come out to sale food.

Thanks again for making the race a huge success! Oh yeah, we already have some good leads for additional sponsors for next year so prizes should be bigger & better! :dancing:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Hey Matt, major props to you and company for putting on a pretty flawless event, from my eyes anyway. It would be pretty hard to improve on the couse other than maybe removing a couple of the little single jumps. Those things were everywhere. I loved the log pyramid, BTW. On the tabletop following it, I felt like it needed to be stretched out maybe 2-3 feet and have a little longer transition, and a little mellower launch. Really other than that, the course ripped. You made a hellofa course for the given terrain to work with. :thumb:

*after the race I was eating lunch with Andy Devault and many others, and he kept going outside to see if his Chopper was still in the back of his truck! He is so stoked on that thing.
~Michael

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
motomike said:
Hey Matt, major props to you and company for putting on a pretty flawless event, from my eyes anyway. It would be pretty hard to improve on the couse other than maybe removing a couple of the little single jumps. Those things were everywhere. I loved the log pyramid, BTW. On the tabletop following it, I felt like it needed to be stretched out maybe 2-3 feet and have a little longer transition, and a little mellower launch. Really other than that, the course ripped. You made a hellofa course for the given terrain to work with. :thumb:

*after the race I was eating lunch with Andy Devault and many others, and he kept going outside to see if his Chopper was still in the back of his truck! He is so stoked on that thing.
~Michael
Thanks for the input, on the little jumps I do know the one before the big berm leading into the pyramid jump but which others would you suggest removing?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Actually.....I really liked the little jump before the berm/pyramid. Everytime I came through there, I was thinking "...Man, this thing would be really sweet if it were a bit bigger, and had more of a hip lander into the berm. But, I can understand what you are saying.

I can't really seem to find anything negative to say about the course. You did a great job with what you had to work with. Maybe, I guess, the bigger start hill like you talked about would be better. It would keep you from having to dance around with that shifter a bit less.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
more scantily clad females. kind of like how sportbike racers have "umbrella girls" to hold the umbrella over the racer while waiting to start. if you want to show TRUE dedication to the sport and it's riders you'd do everything in your power to ensure that every racer had a prospective "umbrella girl/guy" at the start line. :D of course, if money is an issue, i'd be willing to be a shirtless umbrella guy for the pro/ex racers :p

that's my only suggestion...oh yeah, and fix that table, it's weird and i nearly smacked the trees after it on every run ;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Matt, the course was laid out well and flowed great. Here are my suggestions:

1) I agree that all the little single jumps were bad for the flow. They were too steep to launch you out, they mostly were large speed bumps. Maybe just mellow them out a bit.

2) The A frame jump was okay, but I had to quit pedaling into it way before I wanted too. It had a weird kick at the end, but I liked the hip-ness to it and the more I rode it the better it seemed. All in all it was ok, but removing the top three or so logs would do well. If it doesn't work, you can always put them back.

3) The table after that was way too short with an almost uphill landing.

4) Not enough rocks. I loved the rock garden and I wish there was more. Imagine that.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
That was a great race, it was very good for a first race. I came 4th in the junior class, but with my time I would have gotten 2nd in Junior X. :nopity:

Anyway, is there away you could post all the times on here, so I can see them better without having to see past peoples heads?

Thanks,
Craig

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
manimal said:
more scantily clad females. kind of like how sportbike racers have "umbrella girls" to hold the umbrella over the racer while waiting to start. if you want to show TRUE dedication to the sport and it's riders you'd do everything in your power to ensure that every racer had a prospective "umbrella girl/guy" at the start line. :D of course, if money is an issue, i'd be willing to be a shirtless umbrella guy for the pro/ex racers :p

that's my only suggestion...oh yeah, and fix that table, it's weird and i nearly smacked the trees after it on every run ;)
Brandon I would max all my credit cards to avoid this situation. Seeing you in a bikini is a frighten thought!!! :dead: Oh yeah Ellen said she hit that tree the other day & didn't have a problem with it...you girly man!!! Seriously we plan to add that to the list. Thanks for coming out, I felt safer just knowing one of NC's finest was on site. :thumb:

Doug,
We have another place on the course we were debating on putting a rock garden. It would be after the 180 degree berm turn when you go over the little jump down the hill. We'll have to see how many more big rocks we can dig up. Also we're going to make the first little rock garden a little longer...maybe have you landing in it after the little drop/jump. Lastly to the small jumps I get the picture from what you & Mike are talking about...we'll fix them as well. Thanks for making the long haul to get here!!!! :thumb:

Craig,
We'll have all times posted on the BMCC website later in the week or at least by the first of next week. We've got to get all the NORBA paperwork filled out & turned in so that's why it'll take me a while. I'll post as soon as there up. Thanks for coming! :)