Quantcast

Dark Owl DXX (Fatigue testing vid page 6)

How long chainstay should be at SAG point?

• Total voters

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I agree 100% with @iRider / @HAB / @StiHacka on this one - 135/142mm wheels go out of true more easily because the spoke tensions are different L/R and the maximum tension is limited. This is also true for front wheels, just less obvious a problem since front wheels cop less abuse.

I also am of the strong opinion that the Hope design for a 150/157mm hub is superior (where the extra width is utilised for a zero dish wheel, not for greater spoke angle on one side while sacrificing the zero dish benefit like CK for example).

Looks like everyone else has the nerdery and graphs covered - my opinion is purely from building and wrecking my own wheels for the last 10 years. Zero dish FTMFW.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
You can also get the same spoke tensions on both sides of a rear wheel by using a 148 rear hub offset 3mm to the drive side.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I've made some final tweaks to the frame:

less curvy down tube,
shock can be placed upside down now,
BB, main pivot and rocker link pivot are now a one piece, CNC machined element,
DT and TT are not welded together (HT gusset on both sides instead),
new hardware, no more stripper bolts
Untitled_mod_jasniej_cnc2.png

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

less bendy down tube,
View attachment 125202
^^
I'd like to be that particular owl's "favorite human" :thumb:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
@jackalope that is sooooo sweet man!

BTW, we do only sponsor ppl who had a significant head trauma, which was a result of being hit by a new 20x110 boost hub equipped, 29 plus sized fatbike.
:homer:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

less curvy down tube,
View attachment 125202
As a bonus, if you ride at night, that thing is practically invisible.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've made some final tweaks to the frame
Woohoo! :cupidarrow:

I actually thought about starting a "what's new at dark owl" thread since everything new coming out this year is ultra lame for some reason. Happy to see something that isn't inspired by the Trump presidency.

Don't know what the thread title is about, but whenever I tell Troy what I think should change on the frame we fight like a married couple (which is surprising, since as you all know I'm ultra polite and reserved about getting my ideas across, never blunt or harsh), so I end up thinking they won't get implemented - but it turns out my initial impressions about the guy are true - he can actually take and accept criticism (and is ready to apply it to better the product) rather than defending the existing design.

Combined with having a good kinematic design background in the first place, this puts Dark Owl in a very small minority of frame builders.

I think this is going to be a very special bike.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Where are you getting it made? Or are you using work/school facilities?

And as even tension as possible please.

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Where are you getting it made? Or are you using work/school facilities?
I wish. We (me and my 2 associates) are working with some other local companies. It ain't some bong shed business.

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Where about? I'd offer my mfg services but I'm in Canada and my plates are pretty full at the moment. Looks rad though.
I'm from Poland, so quite far away from Canada (unfortunately). Thank You for the offer tho!

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Maybe I missed the memo, but are you selling anything yet?
Not yet. We are making the final version this week and sending it for fatigue testing. After that, when we will be sure everything is fine, we will start selling those.